PDA

View Full Version : 121/2 haven Flatfish

Tom McDermott
04-09-2000, 02:56 PM
I finished building a 121/2 haven last summer and sailed her all the rest of the summer and wellinto the fall.And it was great'' Now Iam building a Flatfish, Ifinished the lofting and builded the molds. Ihave seen pictures of the boat. Is anyone building one? or have builded one? Or is there any in a musem? Thanks Tom

CNel
04-10-2000, 04:42 PM
Hey Tom,
I, too, am planning on building a flatfish - I hope ot start this summer. I've built tons of furniture, but this would be my first real boat. (I'm doing a couple of kayaks now, just to know that the flatfish would not my first effort.) I know the flatfish is a hard design, but I can really envision every part of it. I'd love to hear about your have 12 1/2 experience. There is a Herrshoff Fish Class website - pretty good one - Check it out at http://members.home.net:80/dsmith16/fishpage.html
There's also a Fish Class Sloop at the Mystic Seaport Museum and/or the Herrshoff Musem.
Good luck and keep us posted!

Tom McDermott
04-10-2000, 05:55 PM
Hello CNEL Am I surpise' Did not know that there was a Flatfish page. It is great. About building the 121/2 it was very intersting and it took about 18 months the plans and the book were a great help. You must build to the plans closely and it comes out good. the kicker is that she sails WOW'''WHAT A BOAT' One of my sons was a Hobie cat sailer. Now he has a family and went out of his mind, when I took him out on the 12 1/2 . So I start the Flatfish for him. Now, I don"t think I could build the Flatfish, without building the 121/2 first. I don"t want to discourage you or anythink like that.But the 12 1/2 was a big help. Keep in touch Tom

Steve Souther
05-16-2001, 09:58 PM
Tom,
How are you coming on the flatfish? This is a Joel White's adaption of the H Fish class, isn't it? If so, this is a nice boat. I'd like to see pictures of your work..

Steve

fredlyon@mindspring.com
05-21-2001, 12:36 PM
Tom,

I plan to start my Flatfish this August.I got the plans for Christmas. I have to complete a few household projects then I can start the boat. As my boat will be in Southern California and live on a trailer most of the time I plan to strip build her using the scantiling rules in Tom McNaughtons book.

I have built a couple of beach Cats and rehabed a 57 Owens Cabincurser so I am pretty confident about the project. I expect to take two or three years to do the work I am not in any hurry I would rather be in the work shop as anyplace I can think of. As an old carpenter it will be good to get the tools back in shape and do something the I want to.

Good luck with your project

Fred

Nels
05-21-2001, 03:40 PM
Well, whaddaya know! I got the Flatfish plans for Christmas, too, and am planning on starting to build in August, too, AND am planning to strip build it, too! It's gonna have to spend a lot of its days on a trailor (still looking for that rich friend with a dock!). Tell me about the McNaughton book you are using to determine scantlings. What's the title? I'm planning on building my Flatfish strip planked over laminated ribs and then sheathed with a layer of fiberglass. I would think it will be light and yet tremendously strong, significantly stronger than traditional carvel planking. I can't wait to start. Right now I've got a shop full of kayaks from a "course" I've taught building stitch and glue kayaks. It's been fun, but they really take up the shop space (to the point where I can't turn around.)! Good Luck! Let's keep in touch!

fredlyon@mindspring.com
05-23-2001, 05:54 PM
MacNaughton Associates Inc.
Eastport Boat Yard and Supply
207-853-6049

The MacNaughton Sheathed Strip Construction Scantlings Rule is a small pamplet that uses the displacement of the boat to caulate the size required for the major components os a strip built boat. If you follow there rule you have something to reference should you want to have the boat surveyed for insurance or sale of the boat. I think the book was about 8 dollars plus handeling. Any how I really looking foward to starting my boat. I found some clear western red cedar in 2X4X22 at a local lumber yard. I plan to rip it to size and set it aside to air dry to 10% or so then complete the milling. Being that it will be less than 3/4 inches thick and during the hottest months of the year in dry socal I hope to have it dry enough to use by the time I need it. I still have to decide on the keel materials ect.

Fred

Will
05-23-2001, 07:00 PM
CNEL , the link you posted doesn't seem to be working .

Nels
05-24-2001, 09:14 AM
The page has moved. Here's the new link.
http://www.cshore.com/dmsmith/fishpage.html

imported_Krueg
05-25-2001, 05:29 PM
Fred, Are you any relation to Lyon Homes? Just curious as I see you're a builder and I'm in Southern California as well.

fredlyon@mindspring.com
05-26-2001, 05:24 PM
No relation. Just my luck. Wrong place wrong time I guess. What is your interst in the flatfish?

fredlyon@mindspring.com
05-27-2001, 11:51 AM
In the opinion of the group is there anything to be gained by using a hardwood like oak or ash to laminate the keel and frames of my flat fish or can I use clear fir. I plan on useing cpes and system three exopy.