PDA

View Full Version : early verbal report say census is down population shift to the south and west.

S.V. Airlie
12-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Leaning to more republican seats. Tex seems to be the winner of the migration from the rust belt. Just the radio.. I'm sure some news group will pick this up spin it in what ever direction applies. Hence putting in the word "verbal".. Public radio news cast.

Tylerdurden
12-21-2010, 09:41 AM
South is good for me. I am freezing. Still work up here though, not so much down south.

S.V. Airlie
12-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Obviously a 10AM news bit is not the entire story.. I'll wait for the full gossip page to come out.

Ian McColgin
12-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Yep. We're going to lose a seat this time around and the redistricting knives are already being flourished. Federal law imposes some notions of fairness in redistricting. You're not supposed to redistrict to curtail minority representation or fracture cultural neighborhoods. However, the laws recognize the "legitimacy" of redistricting to protect a state's delegation's power by keeping powerful incumbent's seats at least winnable.

Sometimes efforts to the contrary backfire. Republicans tried to Gerrymander Gerry Studds out of office. Marvelous irony since the Gov. Gerry for whom the practice was named, was Studds' namesake ancestor. Anyway, Studds won anyway and now that the district contains Quincy, Cape Cod's many many Republicans can't catch a break. Hoist on their own petard.

Our fight will be zesty but watch Texas and Oklahoma for some really fun perrigenations.