PDA

View Full Version : Leave your camera at home.

Roger Long
12-21-2010, 06:01 AM
From the Washington Post:

At the same time that the FBI is expanding its West Virginia database, it is building a vast repository controlled by people who work in a top-secret vault on the fourth floor of the J. Edgar Hoover FBI Building in Washington. This one stores the profiles of tens of thousands of Americans and legal residents who are not accused of any crime. What they have done is appear to be acting suspiciously to a town sheriff, a traffic cop or even a neighbor.

The effectiveness of this database depends, in fact, on collecting the identities of people who are not known criminals or terrorists - and on being able to quickly compile in-depth profiles of them.

In response to concerns that information in the database could be improperly used or released, FBI officials say anyone with access has been trained in privacy rules and the penalties for breaking them.

But not everyone is convinced. "It opens a door for all kinds of abuses," said Michael German, a former FBI agent who now leads the American Civil Liberties Union's campaign on national security and privacy matters. "How do we know there are enough controls?"

The government defines a suspicious activity as "observed behavior reasonably indicative of pre-operational planning related to terrorism or other criminal activity" related to terrorism.

State intelligence analysts and FBI investigators use the reports to determine whether a person is buying fertilizer to make a bomb or to plant tomatoes; whether she is plotting to poison a city's drinking water or studying for a metallurgy test; whether, as happened on a Sunday morning in late September, the man snapping a picture of a ferry in the Newport Beach harbor in Southern California simply liked the way it looked or was plotting to blow it up.

Suspicious Activity Report N03821 says a local law enforcement officer observed "a suspicious subject . . . taking photographs of the Orange County Sheriff Department Fire Boat and the Balboa Ferry with a cellular phone camera." The confidential report, marked "For Official Use Only," noted that the subject next made a phone call, walked to his car and returned five minutes later to take more pictures. He was then met by another person, both of whom stood and "observed the boat traffic in the harbor." Next another adult with two small children joined them, and then they all boarded the ferry and crossed the channel.

Don't let the Coast Guard see you with that camera and try not to piss off your neighbors.

Full story at:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/12/20/politics/washingtonpost/main7167877.shtml?tag=stack

Happy Holidays. You're getting a brave new world for Christmas.

Hunky Dory
12-21-2010, 07:12 AM
It seems the more cameras big brother puts up the more they distrust us with ours. With digital cameras we take a lot more pics than ever since there is no developement costs and the widespread use of phone cams. I can't help but think they need to justify the cost of surveilance by looking for trouble where there is none.

skuthorp
12-21-2010, 07:35 AM
"I can't help but think they need to justify the cost of surveilance by looking for trouble where there is none."
Make work schemes to justify bigger budgets and more personell to do more surveillance............ and round and round you go in an ever increasing spiral and soon you end up with, The Stasi.

Phillip Allen
12-21-2010, 10:02 AM
I despise the engineered paranoia we're subjected to

willmarsh3
12-21-2010, 10:53 AM
I can't help but think corporate lobbyists and pork barrel spending in congressional districts are part of this. Talk about a program to increase the deficit - this is one, among other things. I wonder if sailing the Elver at 2 in the morning to make it back to the dock after a bat cave trip at dusk counts. :D

S/V Laura Ellen
12-21-2010, 11:01 AM
I can't help but think they need to justify the cost of surveilance by looking for trouble where there is none.

But, how do they know there is no trouble unless they use surveillance to look for it?

paladin
12-22-2010, 10:42 AM
I told Cochise we should have burned Washington and Gnu Yawk City to the ground and chased out the white devils.

nw_noob
12-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Careful Roger, if you keep posting stuff like this people might brand you a conspiracy theorist. Good luck getting anyone to listen to you after that happens.

S.V. Airlie
12-22-2010, 12:56 PM
McCarthy had a list too supposedly and Hoover was a pro at digging up dirt.Why do you think he stayed the Director of the FBI for so long? It may be theoretically terrorists now but in the 50's the evil was from the other side of the world. The Red menace.

Nothing changes but the years.

ahp
12-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Hoover maintained a blackmail file on anybody who was anybody in Washington. He ended being a victim himself. They should chisel his name off the building.

skuthorp
12-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Hoover maintained a blackmail file on anybody who was anybody in Washington. He ended being a victim himself. They should chisel his name off the building.

Why?, after all the same principles still apply.

pumpkin
12-23-2010, 11:47 PM
I always noted that when gopher hunting that it is the gopher that sticks his head out of the hole that gets shot.

Keep your head low and maybe you won't get noticed, ha. These days it's tough to stay low because there are camera's everywhere.

ramillett
12-24-2010, 03:34 AM
Was the Newport Harbor Patrol thinking I was a terrorist , when they kept circling us during the Playboy shoot ?
They must have seen the cameras :)

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv332/ramillett/millett/DSC_9024.jpg