PDA

View Full Version : Challenge: make and show your 2011 vision board

Ted Hoppe
12-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Here is a challenge to those who practice creative visualization...
http://www.lewisempire.com/images/vision_board.jpg (not mine). In the next days, I will be posting a vision board of my aspirations for this next year. Yes, I did borrow a few ideas from book The Secret and some mumbo jumbo new age practices. Late December is generally is the time of this end of year examination which is helpful and reflective. but that is rearview mirror thinking. It is also a time to look forward foreword in hopefulness about career, life, family, creation and bounty. If you can't see change it will never come. As you are aware if you have no plans, you can't build a proper boat. You are only limited by your own mind. If you don't know where you want to stand in action then you receive entropy. Despite what many want to believe, wealth is a sense of being rather than big checks and stacks of cash. With a proper vision... One can get of a better place, stronger health, more energy, take proper actions in real time to deliver your goals, grant yourself the power to control what you create, and even provide the loving human connections to that which matters to you.

Being creative lot, We might all find it interesting to see what your ideas are. It very well will cement them in your brain and heart. Moreover, you might be able to inspire others to step out into a better self made world.

I look forward to seeing your boards. Count on mine soon too.

Pugwash
12-20-2010, 07:21 PM
I have neither computer literacy nor a quest for material goods.

I guess I'm f^#@ed then.

I did borrow a few ideas from book The Secret

In that case we are all screwed.

Not only do we have to deal with mental ineptitude, but we have to cope with literary stupidity as well.

I'm going to join Amway, what are you doing?

seanz
12-20-2010, 07:22 PM
By the end of 2011, if I have a clear vision of where I'm going next, I'll probably be very satisfied.

Paul Pless
12-20-2010, 07:33 PM
As you are aware if you have no plans, you can't build a proper boat. Do you ever read Mike Fonville's threads?

Vince Brennan
12-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Not only do we have to deal with mental ineptitude, but we have to cope with literary stupidity as well.

I'm going to join Amway, what are you doing?

Now, now, Puggy, let's not jump on the "differently conceptualized"... play nice...

I must confess I have major problems with the whole "conceptualization into reality" thing myself, but it sure seems to have worked well for the Republicans.

Perhaps there's really something to it after all?

I remain with open mind.

Cuyahoga Chuck
12-20-2010, 07:38 PM
A what? Sounds like some kind of corporate-speak to me. The only board I covet is the one I chop my food on.
By the way, that "board" looks kind of like what we called a "montage" in the old days. My life was sort of like a montage. Hope my future isn't.

rbgarr
12-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Goodness. It seems 2010 has sucked the optimism out of some here.

botebum
12-20-2010, 08:14 PM
Goodness. It seems 2010 has sucked the optimism out of some here.You win the no-***tter of the week award.
What's with the rest of you guys?
Rippy- A positive outlook can help a person to fight disease. In the case of the young suicide, a positive outlook would have changed her outcome completely.
Stop pissing in the Corn Flakes you geezers.

Doug

Paul Pless
12-20-2010, 08:16 PM
In the case of the young suicide, a positive outlook would have changed her outcome completely. > :d

seanz
12-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Goodness. It seems 2010 has sucked the optimism out of some here.

Oh, I gots oppteemism.......we're dealing with local and national government and an insurance company. We need optimism. Lots.

Haaaaappy New Year!

:D:D

elf
12-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Clearly there's a great deal of value to having clarity about who you are and what you want to do about it, but expressing it visually can make for some serious problems - like that the medium tends to express "things" well but "ideas" poorly.

If the best one can do to visualize the direction one wishes to pursue is with things, perhaps some other vehicle needs to be used in order to open the mind to other values.

Otherwise known as "yeah, we all want money, but is that really the best we can do?"

Pugwash
12-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Now, now, Puggy, let's not jump on the "differently conceptualized"... play nice...

I must confess I have major problems with the whole "conceptualization into reality" thing myself, but it sure seems to have worked well for the Republicans.

Perhaps there's really something to it after all?

I remain with open mind.

Did you look at that "image board", that even Ted admitted wasn't his?

What on it did you want? (other than the $1,000,000 and the big stack of bullion)

It's all ****e. It's stupid. It buys into the idiocy of the idea that you can have whatever you want if you just visualise it, if you just want it.

What you have here and now is not enough, is not adequate, will never be what you want.

It's just a self fulfilling prophecy.

botebum
12-20-2010, 08:28 PM
It's quite the photographic artist that sees a picture and only sees "things" rather than the ideas they represent to the viewer. Way to go elf. Are you still working on that project where you take pictures of water and rocks and other "stuff"? I got water coming out of my tap, rocks in my garden and "stuff" all around me. Why would I want to look at your pictures. Just stuff.

Doug

Ted Hoppe
12-20-2010, 08:31 PM
Bad things happen. Unbelievable misfortune happens. What can you do that is different and life changing. Without a direction or hope, the human suffers. There are always survivors in every story. How you play the story out is your choice. just the fact you post here tells me that you have hope and dreams. You just might not feel comfortable expressing what you don't think you can provide for yourself or even deserve. And those issues are yours to open up or begin to solve.

A vision board can be visual, written, just symbols or a few sketches. The purpose of the board is to emote a direction, a feeling or help you come to terms with where you want to go. It's up to you. It is personal. Who cares what others think. It is your belief. It is your life path. Get over others putting crap on you. this isn't high school and the only opinion that matters is yours and the ones who love you.

David G
12-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Surely, this thread was inspired by the What Did You Accomplish This Year thread. I have to say that thread got me thinking about next year - even in the midst of work, family & xmas stuff. I doubt I'll do a montage of visualized intentions... but I will be putting together a set of goals for next year, and a rough timeline. I know one goal will be to do more boating this year than last. The Coots calendar of events that we put together each year at this time will help - both to provide opportunities, and to supply some structure around which to plan other events and activities. I also have a couple of irons in the fire - businesswise - that I need to tend and to move forward. Of course, I want to continue to grow my marriage. Just because we've been together for 35+ years, doesn't mean it gets to go on autopilot. And... every darned year, I resolve to beat my children more often. And, each year, I fail. Maybe this year <G>

Pugwash
12-20-2010, 08:36 PM
It's quite the photographic artist that sees a picture and only sees "things" rather than the ideas they represent to the viewer.

I think all graphic artists just represent images of "things" in the way that they see them and then leave the interpretation up to the viewer. That is what art is isn't it?

That's why images produced purely to manipulate the viewer are not considered art.

botebum
12-20-2010, 08:37 PM
And... every darned year, I resolve to beat my children more often. And, each year, I fail. Maybe this year <G>All this time I thought it was just me:rolleyes:

Doug

Paul Pless
12-20-2010, 08:41 PM
I think all graphic artists just represent images of "things" in the way that they see them and then leave the interpretation up to the viewer. That is what art is isn't it?

That's why images produced purely to manipulate the viewer are not considered art.well that throws out a bunch of maplethorpe crap, just for starters

bobbys
12-20-2010, 08:43 PM
Im in.

http://www.lovefords.org/dealer/images/hometown_ford.jpg

Pugwash
12-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Bad things happen. Unbelievable misfortune happens. What can you do that is different and life changing.

When true misfortune happens all you are reminded of is our frail humanity. Wealth and fast cars are the furthest things from our minds. The only thing you will ever do that is different and life changing is to reach out to your fellow human beings.

Your "wish board" is meaningless.

Pugwash
12-20-2010, 08:51 PM
well that throws out a bunch of maplethorpe crap, just for starters

Did you feel manipulated?

Or were you just uncomfortable?

You do know that there is a difference between challenge and manipulation? Don't you?

Ted Hoppe
12-20-2010, 08:52 PM
I am working on how I can spend more time with my young boy. How I can sail a broad reach in down the Slot. How I find a time to make my boat more beautiful. I look forward to feel warm sand between my toes on a mexician vacation. riding my motorcycle through canyon country. thinking how my job can be more satisfying. Looking to be healthier than I am today. spending more time with friends. it is hard to express such things on a board. It will be a reminder when I make it of how I felt at the time.

bobbys
12-20-2010, 09:05 PM
When i get that new Honda the Pretty goils will come next.

http://www.vintagecycleprints.com/backissues/cycleguide/7207cg.JPG

Michael D. Storey
12-20-2010, 09:10 PM
Ri In the case of the young suicide, a positive outlook would have changed her outcome completely.

Doug

This can be a very difficult topic for someone who has witnessed with this. Suggest that you refrain from unwarranted assumptions.

L.W. Baxter
12-20-2010, 09:11 PM
I am working on how I can spend more time with my young boy. How I can sail a broad reach in down the Slot. How I find a time to make my boat more beautiful. I look forward to feel warm sand between my toes on a mexician vacation. riding my motorcycle through canyon country. thinking how my job can be more satisfying. Looking to be healthier than I am today. spending more time with friends. it is hard to express such things on a board. It will be a reminder when I make it of how I felt at the time.

Sounds good, Ted. Good luck to you.

botebum
12-20-2010, 09:31 PM
This can be a very difficult topic for someone who has witnessed with this. Suggest that you refrain from unwarranted assumptions.Thanks for your suggestion. Now tell me how my "assumption" is either unwarranted or incorrect.

I agree that it can be a sensitive and difficult topic but you might also notice that I didn't initially throw it into the fray. I only called it for what it was- pissing in corn flakes.

It is not a bad idea to give oneself reminders of what they hope to accomplish. Visual reminders are a source of inspiration for many people. It's a good idea. Certainly better than never moving forward because you're just gonna' drop dead someday anyway.

Doug

tomlarkin
12-20-2010, 11:00 PM
When i get that new Honda the Pretty goils will come next.

Well, if she was 20 in 1972, she's 58 years old now! She could introduce you to her grandkids.

TomF
12-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Cripes.

I'm not a terribly visual person, nor do I have the technical tools to put together a vision board. But what am I aiming for over the next year?

Play more music. Now that I've got the cello re-strung, I'd like to work on the Beethoven sonata I've got gathering dust. And bring my jazz piano chops up to the point that the boys and I have a couple of sets to play. Blues harp's coming well, but I need to learn how to work a mike properly.

Keep getting more active. I want to keep progressing in karate, doing regular practice on techniques and with a heavy bag outside of the classes. Keep my lifting on track too - by this time next year I want my work sets (5 reps) to be #500 for deadlift, #400 squat, #250 bench, and #200 overhead press. That will be about a 25% gain on each lift. Conditioning will improve through kettlebell and heavy bag work.

I want to be more mindful - to be actively importing mindfulness into more of my day. I'm not clear on the most effective way to improve my practice, other than simply starting ... so prayer/meditation over lunchtime at least 3, and preferably 5 days/week.

I want the time I spend with my youngest to be less focused on accomplishing stuff, and more focused on enjoying doing stuff together. That will mean helping him develop more effective tools to manage his ADHD issues, and the homework and other pressure points that come with it ... so that the time we have together doesn't have to be focused on external tasks.

Money permitting, I want to start building that damned pulling boat. Probably a Badger.

Ted Hoppe
02-02-2011, 05:14 PM
A vision board is an emotional pictograpical response that provides a definable lines in shifting sands of ones life and personal wants. As for me, i can imagine places where I get time to greet the most important moments with my small family these next years. Those moments make a lifetime of memories. The universe or the God of your choosing grants you the time to address the greatest loves or power to satisfy ones deepest heartfelt desire. To be able to use your minds eye to see such things which sometimes is enough and other times provides directions to a true goal.

Under your difficult circumstances, your vision is one that might include the vivid picture of you providing best care and love to someone so close. Under such a personal construct, a picture of prosperity might be one where you are seated among an action where you are happily engaged and sated with the knowledge you are serving your loved ones.

Ted Hoppe
02-02-2011, 05:20 PM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5057/5411032006_9aff274aae.jpg

My vision board this year is of places i want to go, people i want to be with and things I want to use. How I get to them will come through my good hard work and planning on my way to meeting my vision. Moreover, they are subject to change as my life's demands dictate.

Nanoose
02-02-2011, 05:33 PM
... Moreover, they are subject to change as my lifes demand dictate.

Ya. Cruisers say, "This is what I'm doing.....and my plans are set in jello."

Ted Hoppe
12-16-2011, 08:08 PM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5057/5411032006_9aff274aae.jpg

My vision board this year is of places i want to go, people i want to be with and things I want to use. How I get to them will come through my good hard work and planning on my way to meeting my vision. Moreover, they are subject to change as my life's demands dictate.

My score card for the year....swam with my wife in the warm Halong Bay. Got a DSLR camera and shot south east asia for my portfolio, the ferry to work, went to the GP, managed only to be plus 2 lbs more. Sailed, raced and placed, rode and managed to be a good dad. Hit most of the vision board. Damn! this really works.

Now to make a new one.

Mrleft8
12-16-2011, 08:42 PM
My vision for 2012...... Get through the last 2 weeks of 2011 and then try to get my eyesight back, along with my sense of feeling in my hands, feet and legs. After that, I plan on helping as many people as I can to do what ever they need help doing. Which is pretty much what I've been doing my entire life.
I also envision thanking all the people who've helped me for the last 50 years, and this past few very difficult years in particular. I don't know how to make one of those collages, and to be honest, I don't generally remember to take pictures unless someone asks me to specifically. I guess I ought to start. Some day I won't be able to describe how beautiful something is, so I'll need a photograph to show others.

Mrleft8
12-16-2011, 08:45 PM
BTW, Ted, This is a great idea, and I think your goals are admirable.

Bob V
12-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Nice effort there Ted. See it's not just about things. I was thinking about what my vision board would be. It would have to include the stack of marine plywood that I hope is out of my garage and getting wet sometime in 2012, a group shot of some hand tools that I enjoy spending time with (I've really become close to my block plane in the last few weeks), a map with some places I want to see, a 40th anniversary card and my wife, my plastic rowboat & bicycle that I need to spend more time with and a shot of my bathroom scale to remind me why I need to spend more time with them, footprints on the beach and of course photos of my livestock. I have two head of dog.

By the way, I visited Ha Long Bay this year also. what an awesome place that was. I'd like to go back and spend more time but time and money are limited and many more places to see. Maybe New Zealand in 2012.

Ted Hoppe
12-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Thank you. I do believe we make our own blessings from that which we practice. I hope you find ways to restore your health in a manner that fits your true desire. I know the power of positive, focused thinking and actions will serve you well and bring you the relief you seek.

as for me. My family has had a week of sadness with losing a prized mentor and my wife's father. We can not replace such good men but only remember the best of them and how they made us be.

In reflection of the whole beautiful and difficult year. I could not love my family more. I make a modest living but work hard, long hours and seem to stretch my interests to make them affordable. I am certain that building a physical construct to work with such as a vision board helps shapes ones dreams, reinforces what we are truly capable of and what we can experience if we want it enough.

Ted Hoppe
12-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Nice effort there Ted. See it's not just about things. I was thinking about what my vision board would be. It would have to include the stack of marine plywood that I hope is out of my garage and getting wet sometime in 2012, a group shot of some hand tools that I enjoy spending time with (I've really become close to my block plane in the last few weeks), a map with some places I want to see, a 40th anniversary card and my wife, my plastic rowboat & bicycle that I need to spend more time with and a shot of my bathroom scale to remind me why I need to spend more time with them, footprints on the beach and of course photos of my livestock. I have two head of dog.

By the way, I visited Ha Long Bay this year also. what an awesome place that was. I'd like to go back and spend more time but time and money are limited and many more places to see. Maybe New Zealand in 2012.

It isn't about things but how you feel. best of luck to you this year... You sound like you have great plans.

seanz
12-16-2011, 11:48 PM
By the end of 2011, if I have a clear vision of where I'm going next, I'll probably be very satisfied.

Not satisfied. Got a slightly better vision but it lacks detail.....

C'mon down Bob V, we're still letting tourists in.
:D