View Full Version : Onion soup for supper

BarnacleGrim
12-18-2010, 04:39 PM
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt137/gcopc/IMG_4320.jpg

This is proper comfort food! Y>

seanz
12-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Recipe?

Also, in fifty words or less, state why onion soup is better comfort food than minestrone soup.
:)

Paul Pless
12-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Also, in fifty words or less, state why onion soup is better comfort food than minestrone soup.

cheese

S.V. Airlie
12-18-2010, 05:37 PM
cheese

yup cheese and a roaring fire.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
12-18-2010, 05:50 PM
Recipe?

Start with large, mild, onions, two or three pounds. You will also need some butter and olive oil, a good half pint of white wine, two pints of beef stock, some black pepper, some slices of decent crusty French bread, or as near thereto as you can manage, and about half a pound of Gruyere cheese.

Some people add a couple of cloves of garlic; personally though I like garlic as much as anyone I think this soup is better without it.

Peel and slice the onions.

In a couple of ounces of butter and the same amount of oil in a large heavy pan, sweat the onions over a low heat, stirring regularly. This takes for ever, espescially if the onions have been recently harvested. They will eventually go brown. The process can be helped along by adding a teaspoonful (no more) of sugar. You will start with a pan full of raw onion and finish with about three quarters of an inch of browned onion residues in the bottom of the pan. Deglaze with the white wine, add the beef stock, simmer for an hour or rather more.

Meanwhile grate the cheese and toast the rounds of bread.

Just before serving, tip in a couple of glasses of brandy.

Ladle into individual pots, float the bread on the soup, tip the grates cheese onto the bread, flash under a hot grill.

Serve.

This is more comforting that minestrone because:

a) it's got a lot more booze in it

b) no watery bits between the vegetables

c) you can have fun with the floating islands of cheese on toast.

25 words. QED.

S.V. Airlie
12-18-2010, 05:55 PM
That's the way I like it..Hard to find the right mix anywhere outside of the kitchen though.

bobbys
12-18-2010, 05:59 PM
I only order it when out to eat as its something thats beyond me to make and if not done right is disgusting.

BarnacleGrim
12-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Start with large, mild, onions, two or three pounds. You will also need some butter and olive oil, a good half pint of white wine, two pints of beef stock, some black pepper, some slices of decent crusty French bread, or as near thereto as you can manage, and about half a pound of Gruyere cheese.

Some people add a couple of cloves of garlic; personally though I like garlic as much as anyone I think this soup is better without it.

In a couple of ounces of butter and the same amount of oil in a large heavy pan, sweat the onions over a low heat, stirring regularly. This takes for ever, espescially if the onions have been recently harvested. They will eventually go brown. The process can be helped along by adding a teaspoonful (no more) of sugar. You will start with a pan full of raw onion and finish with about three quarters of an inch of browned onion residues in the bottom of the pan. Deglaze with the white wine, add the beef stock, simmer for an hour or rather more.

Ladle into individual pots, float the bread on the soup, tip the grates cheese onto the bread, flash under a hot grill.

Serve.
That's roughly how I made it. I have been known to eat whole raw garlic cloves, but you may be on to something about leaving the garlic out. But I will have to try the brandy next time.

Flying Orca
12-18-2010, 06:15 PM
I like red, not white wine, and I like to use half V8 and half beef stock for a rich and tangy broth.

Paul Pless
12-18-2010, 06:50 PM
does anybody make it with stout instead of wine?

Breakaway
12-18-2010, 08:46 PM
A pub I tended bar in did that: used Guinness from tap, allowed to stand and go flat.

seanz
12-18-2010, 08:56 PM

Serve.

This is more comforting that minestrone because:

a) it's got a lot more booze in it

b) no watery bits between the vegetables

c) you can have fun with the floating islands of cheese on toast.

25 words. QED.

Thank-you.

A good recipe and a excellent explanation of why onion soup is better than minestrone.

I really like onions. We have pickled sliced red onions that we add to ham sandwiches......mmmmmm.

But.....

Sadly.......

My digestive system no longer recognizes dairy products as food.

So I won't be cooking onion soup next Winter.

Bother.

callsign222
12-18-2010, 09:03 PM
What about Butternut-Ginger soup as comfort food? I don't know, it's a close call between the Onion and B/G... except of the cheese part, but I got yogurt! I made up a batch tonight.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_veIyanfT-PA/TQ1ngN_GH7I/AAAAAAAABP4/dr08xdYjiIo/s640/P2110239.1.JPG

Paul Pless
12-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Sadly.......

My digestive system no longer recognizes dairy products as food.
bummer dude

you might try tofutti (soy cheese substitute), i've had it on vegan pizza before and its passable

seanz
12-18-2010, 09:31 PM
What about Butternut-Ginger soup as comfort food? I don't know, it's a close call between the Onion and B/G... except of the cheese part, but I got yogurt! I made up a batch tonight.

]

Pumpkin and Ginger.....just made for each other.

bummer dude

you might try tofutti (soy cheese substitute), i've had it on vegan pizza before and its passable

Nah, never bothered with substitutes*. I cook things (if the recipe has dairy) where the dairy is added at the end and just don't add it to mine. And I eat a lot of Asian food. :)

There's not much I miss but Pizza is one of the big ones......and King Island Smoked Cheddar.

I have a cousin that has an allergy to coconut.....eat a trace amount of coconut and call an ambulance (or be real swift with an epi-pen) so I'm not bothered really.
Life without Thai food?
I couldn't do it.
;)

* Except I used to have soy-milk on cereal but I stopped (no real reason) and I have toast or porridge now.

paladin
12-18-2010, 10:55 PM
Andrew's recipe is the way I make it...no garlic, and half the brandy. To do it correctly takes about 2-3 hours. I usually make it when I have some day old or stretched to 3 day old sourdough bread that I have saved for the ocassion.

I might add that I usually make a large pot of it at a time, then add perhaps a T of flour to thicken the broth ever so lightly...I probably use more pepper than most folks also......and perhaps a 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce.......yummy......

paul oman
12-19-2010, 07:11 PM
french onion soup, corn chowda, clam chowda - they make life almost worth the hassle.......