PDA

View Full Version : DADT Repealed

Keith Wilson
12-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Just got an e-mail from the president (he always keeps me in the loop when aything big happens ;) ) saying the Senate just voted to repeal DADT 65-31. All 31 were Republicans, of course. The bill is identical to the House version, so nothing remains but to sign it.

Justice and decency advance a little. Y>

elf
12-18-2010, 04:50 PM
If the military weren't having so much trouble recruiting, it would never have happened. Interesting that the fear of losing an election is greater than the fear of losing a "war" for those 31 Republicans from deepest darkest American bigotry-land.

Captain Intrepid
12-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Welcome to the 20th century America's military! I knew you could do it eventually!

Ian McColgin
12-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Now perhaps they will march on to the 21st Century.

Anyway, about time.

Chris Coose
12-18-2010, 05:59 PM
The final arguments for keeping DADT were what killed it off.
Laughable.
The military guys were pathetic and the live and let live, less government, libertarian clowns were stepping all over their tongues. McCain is just a plain old fool. Too bad he wouldn't just fade away.
What kind of general would defend his soldier's inability to stand by a code of conduct?

S.V. Airlie
12-18-2010, 06:02 PM
To me this is such a stupid roadblock. Who really cares. There are more important thing to worry about dealing with whether ne is gay or not an in the military...

Nicholas Scheuer
12-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Raising my glass of tonight's red (we're entertaining grandkids this weekend) to all of the Gays and Lesbians in our military services. The E-8 I worked for in the Army may have been gay, but the issue was so far in the closet in the 1960's who would know? He was one squared away NCO, that was for sure.

I see on MSN where that A-- H--e Lieberman is standing behind Reid with his thumb up. He should stick it up somewhere where the Sun don't shine. Why didn't he stand with McCain in this issue? A true Turncoat's Turncoat if there ever was one. However, every vote counts, and I'll accept that Turncoat's vote for DADT.

Moby Nick

Osborne Russell
12-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Astute politics on behalf of the Republicans.

The right wing -- fundamentalist Christians and the most egregiously ignorant bigots -- needed to be disciplined anyway, and this is the perfect chance to do it. What are they going to do, become Democrats? Same idea, more powerful effect, on the Tea Party. Get real or get out, meatballs.

Meanwhile the rest of the party says, I never gave a hang about DADT anyway, and if they want to trade that for tax cuts, I'll take that deal all day long.

Phillip Allen
12-18-2010, 06:18 PM
... who cares?

Captain Intrepid
12-18-2010, 07:10 PM
... who cares?

People who like freedom.

Paul Pless
12-18-2010, 07:12 PM
... who cares?

People who like freedom.+ 1

Phillip Allen
12-18-2010, 07:19 PM
People who like freedom.

I just got through telling you I don't care...add to that, I love freedom...so if you presume to speak on my behalf I suggest you get MY permission first...the reason being, because I love freedom!

nothin to do with freedom...ignore it...they're all wariors...let em fight it out among themselves or shut up. I never had trouble with homosexuals when I was in the navy...not much chance they were gonna change my "preferences" so I'll do my job and he/she can do theirs and everything will work out fine...quit borrowing trouble

Captain Intrepid
12-18-2010, 07:31 PM
I just got through telling you I don't care...add to that, I love freedom...so if you presume to speak on my behalf I suggest you get MY permission first...the reason being, because I love freedom!

nothin to do with freedom...ignore it...they're all wariors...let em fight it out among themselves or shut up. I never had trouble with homosexuals when I was in the navy...not much chance they were gonna change my "preferences" so I'll do my job and he/she can do theirs and everything will work out fine...quit borrowing trouble

Perhaps you should sleep on it. You don't seem to be too coherent right now. I can't make heads or tails of what you're trying to say.

Pugwash
12-18-2010, 07:36 PM
... who cares?

It seems like the Freepers are having a bit of a meltdown

If you support the homosexual agenda you are anti-Constitution and you'll get the zot from FR! (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2644629/posts)
Jim Robinson
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2010 2:33:01 PM by Jim Robinson (http://www.freerepublic.com/%7Ejimrobinson/)
A couple more posters got zotted today.
Guess we need another reminder:
If you support the homosexual agenda you are anti-constitution and you'll get the zot from FR. Homosexuals already have the same "rights" as everyone else. God did not grant and the constitution does not guarantee homosexuals any special rights. In fact, the homosexual agenda is a full frontal attack on OUR God-given, constitutionally protected rights to free speech, freedom of religion, freedom of association, Life, Family, Marriage, Pursuit of Happiness, etc.
I don't want it on FR and won't have it on FR.
Like abortion, if you support the homosexual agenda on FR, your account here will be zotted!
Don't like it? Tough frickin Shinola! Get the hell OFF this conservative site!!http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2644629/posts

:D:D:D

Phillip Allen
12-18-2010, 07:47 PM
what's all that aabout, Pug...I support the constitution...does that mean I'm homophobic...I think not...whoever said that is being silly and I don't have to buy into it at all thankyouverymuch

"IF...THEN" is a phony statement and that takes care of that!

Pugwash
12-18-2010, 07:54 PM
what's all that aabout, Pug...

You asked "..who cares?"

I answered.

Phillip Allen
12-18-2010, 07:56 PM
You asked "..who cares?"

I answered.

okay then... whatever...

oznabrag
12-18-2010, 08:05 PM
...I support the constitution...

Of course you do.

does that mean I'm homophobic...I think not...

I don't think so, either.

whoever said that is being silly and I don't have to buy into it at all thankyouverymuch

That's where I see an oversight on your part.

To me, that person is not being 'silly', that person is is enforcing hatred and intolerance on his forum.

That's not what I'd call silly.

John Smith
12-18-2010, 08:08 PM

If you don't care, why post on this thread?

I think it's long overdue, and I doubted it would happen. I find it something to cheer about; we've taken another step ouf of the dark ages.

Paul Girouard
12-18-2010, 08:08 PM
You asked "..who cares?"

I answered.

American slang for not giving a $hit , maybe a ( ! ))) would have set it off better. LOL

Phillip Allen
12-18-2010, 08:10 PM
Of course you do.

I don't think so, either.

That's where I see an oversight on your part.

To me, that person is not being 'silly', that person is is enforcing hatred and intolerance on his forum.

That's not what I'd call silly.

running aaround waving your arms in the air >is< supporting his hatred...ignore the idiot and stop giving him air-time

ever see what happens when someone tosses a small and inconsequential pebble into the middle of a flock of chickens?

Paul Girouard
12-18-2010, 08:11 PM
I think it's long overdue, and I doubted it would happen. I find it something to cheer about; we've taken another step ouf of the dark ages.

Another step into repeating the history of the Roman's IMO. Not the final nail by far , but another one driven in and countersunk.

Phillip Allen
12-18-2010, 08:14 PM
American slang for not giving a $hit , maybe a ( ! ))) would have set it off better. LOL
whatever?

Paul Girouard
12-18-2010, 08:14 PM
whatever?

Grouchy ole Snipe LOL!

Phillip Allen
12-18-2010, 08:16 PM
grouchyness is a laurel that comes with veneration... :)

Paul Girouard
12-18-2010, 08:34 PM
grouchyness is a laurel that comes with veneration... :)

You wear it well my friend! LOL

Paul Pless
12-18-2010, 08:37 PM
oh dear god, phillip fancies himself a saint

Nicholas Scheuer
12-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Back to the people who really matter in this issue, I raise my upteenth glass of red again.

Gay and lesbian troops bleed just like everyone else.

Ever wonder how many gay pilots shared McCain's prison? Might explain his point of view.

Moby Nick

s

Paul Girouard
12-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Ever wonder how many gay pilots shared McCain's prison? Might explain his point of view.

Really? You want to elaborate on that?

Paul Girouard
12-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Back to the people who really matter in this issue, I raise my upteenth glass of red again.

Gay and lesbian troops bleed just like everyone else.

Again , really? Which people are the ones that "really matter" ?

All bleeding stops,,,,, eventually.

elf
12-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Well, the sooner the bleeding of money stops over there, the happier I'll be.

Nicholas Scheuer
12-18-2010, 09:57 PM
Just thinking all of the b--t-f-----s weren't in American Prisons, that's all. Simple mathematics.

Moby Nick

BrianW
12-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Gotta laugh... not one statement opposing the topic, and yet the thread still gets ugly.

:D

Phillip Allen
12-18-2010, 10:16 PM
oh dear god, phillip fancies himself a saint

you may kiss my "ring"

Pugwash
12-18-2010, 10:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol5Dfs7jqFI

Phillip Allen
12-18-2010, 10:38 PM
:) .

perldog007
12-19-2010, 12:01 AM
my son the Jarhead and my "adopted" son the AF Ssgt both tell me that the young folks in the military have by and large quit fighting over this long ago, with regrettable exceptions ( as in any large group ) the reports I am getting from the ground indicate that DADT has been a dead horse for a while with most ( not all ) units.

Maybe now the old timers can throw some poo at each other, get it out of their delicate systems and catch up to the young people. :) Hope it gets official real soon. Less stress on everyone I think to put this relic ( DADT ) away for good.

Keith Wilson
12-19-2010, 12:06 AM
As far as I can tell, it's generally not an issue with young people. Attitudes have shifted a great deal in the past 20 years. There are unfortunate exceptions, of course.

perldog007
12-19-2010, 12:19 AM
As far as I can tell, it's generally not an issue with young people. Attitudes have shifted a great deal in the past 20 years. There are unfortunate exceptions, of course.

Well, it was more like thirty years ago for me and there seemed to be factions with a real zeal for harassing the gay service people, but by and large back in crica 79-82 it was live and let live. From everything I can tell that attitude has done nothing but expand. My sons unit had an openly gay corpsman on the last trip to Fallujah, nobody really cared.

I think this will be very positive for the military. A few negative effects may be seen, growing pains are normal but overall it seems like this is what most of the line troops want. Now if we could just get the old timers to safety their weapons.....

brad9798
12-19-2010, 12:25 AM
Repealing this seems a step backward, no?

After all, angry gay folks are prolly the best soldiers we have ... sorry ... SORRY ... that was not appropriate!

But WTF!?!

Who cares!

elf
12-19-2010, 12:34 AM

Nothing like Political Correctness to change attitudes in a society.

elf
12-19-2010, 12:38 AM
Maybe now the old timers can throw some poo at each other, get it out of their delicate systems and catch up to the young people. :)

If there's an election to win on fighting it, I'm sure the 31 who voted against it will fight. Clearly, to them, elections are more important than supporting the troops or winning the "wars".

bobbys
12-19-2010, 04:09 AM
I went to Newark in 71 and was 1a.

Everybody wanted out if they could.

My friend who went with me said there was a 6 foot 4 Black Sargent who yelled.

Anyone here a Homosexual come into this room and PROVE it!..

No takers.

Strange thing for me was i answered some Q wrong and they Q me further on why i thought i would not fit in.

I said i wanted to go but was a bit paranoid they said but of course did not know the word at the time..

I got a high number 2 weeks before i was to go.

Im still waiting as they said stand by.

Dont think i will try the Sargent though.

Not that there is anything wrong with that..

However people have always been out to get me...

oznabrag
12-19-2010, 10:12 AM
running aaround waving your arms in the air >is< supporting his hatred...ignore the idiot and stop giving him air-time

ever see what happens when someone tosses a small and inconsequential pebble into the middle of a flock of chickens?

You see me as being running around waving my arms in the air?

Think!

Keith Wilson
12-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Who cares!I care. I'm neither gay nor in the military, but injustice is still injustice whether it affects me directly or not. Changing the law corrects an injustice.

Phillip Allen
12-19-2010, 11:17 AM
my son the Jarhead and my "adopted" son the AF Ssgt both tell me that the young folks in the military have by and large quit fighting over this long ago, with regrettable exceptions ( as in any large group ) the reports I am getting from the ground indicate that DADT has been a dead horse for a while with most ( not all ) units.

Maybe now the old timers can throw some poo at each other, get it out of their delicate systems and catch up to the young people. :) Hope it gets official real soon. Less stress on everyone I think to put this relic ( DADT ) away for good.

EXACTLY!!!

... but if we attack Philllip it will give gravatage to our skwaking and self importance...let em alone! They're lucky not to have a bunch of PC fools from the bilge running the military

Tylerdurden
12-19-2010, 11:21 AM
My only issue is what will be the deal with transgendered? Having a bunkmate with a nice set of hands could get interesting. :)

Phillip Allen
12-19-2010, 11:23 AM
I care. I'm neither gay nor in the military, but injustice is still injustice whether it affects me directly or not. Changing the law corrects an injustice.

should I quote you in the future when you remind me that "that" happened a long time ago and I should not complain about it? kWho's picture is on the twenty? Would we glorify a mass murderer?

Keith Wilson
12-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Things in the past can't be changed. You can complain about whatever you like; how can I stop you? We can only correct injustices here and now.

Tylerdurden
12-19-2010, 11:29 AM
I care. I'm neither gay nor in the military, but injustice is still injustice whether it affects me directly or not. Changing the law corrects an injustice.

Sure? I completely accept in the military part, clearly obvious. The other not so sure.

The right guy, just a reach around? Come on be honest.:)

Can't help it, most staunch defenders of gay rights I have met have some experience. I support gays being open in the miltaty, I served and see no real issue with it other than the thought I posted before. I just cannot get (behind) it with the excitement you can.

Phillip Allen
12-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Things in the past can't be changed. You can complain about whatever you like; how can I stop you? We can only correct injustices here and now.

thank you for your insights, lj

Michael D. Storey
12-19-2010, 12:02 PM
If the military weren't having so much trouble recruiting, it would never have happened. Interesting that the fear of losing an election is greater than the fear of losing a "war" for those 31 Republicans from deepest darkest American bigotry-land.

Well, you remember the old scare slogan about gay folk 'recruiting' straight soldiers? With no draft, we clearly need recruiters, so I reckon that that is the cause of the repeal.
Hey! Set me straight if I got it wrong!