PDA

View Full Version : Lying Politician - Take # (oh, I forget... it's a lot, though)

David G
12-16-2010, 01:17 PM
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2010/dec/16/tim-pawlenty/tim-pawlenty-repeats-questionable-statistic-growth/

Ian McColgin
12-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Don't expect the right to disavow this. They will either ignore this thread, attempt to justify Pawlenty's untrue claims, or dummy up allegations that some liberal lied sometime or other to evade the issue.

Alternate reality is such fun.

S.V. Airlie
12-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Hell he has a chance.. He's becoming a real politician.

Read my lips

nw_noob
12-16-2010, 04:18 PM
Don't expect the right to disavow this. They will either ignore this thread, attempt to justify Pawlenty's untrue claims, or dummy up allegations that some liberal lied sometime or other to evade the issue.

Alternate reality is such fun.

Well, I'll disavow this. I picked this guy to be a serious contender for the nomination... he needs to get his sh!t together if that's going to happen. Then again, spouting a bunch of untrue stuff worked pretty well for repubs in the mid-terms, so maybe stuff like this is the ticket to the nomination. I don't like it though.

S.V. Airlie
12-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Yup..Obama and friends are honest as the day is long. Nothing I can do to change your minds that it is just republicans and I am sure who think Dems can't be liars wears blinders. Excuses are forthcoming I'm sure. I will hold my opinion that calling the kettle black is just the way it is.

nw_noob
12-16-2010, 04:36 PM
Yup..Obama and friends are honest as the day is long.

Here's a real gem:

"We've ended combat operations in Iraq."

That's such a bald-faced lie the Associated Press took the extraordinary step of telling their reporters not to repeat it.

S.V. Airlie
12-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Why is it a gem? Because it's possibly true or just you think it isn't. Hide Wright under the covers. Hide Hillary under the desk... Yup Dem politicans are as honest as the rest.. I don't care what party they represent.

Milo Christensen
12-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Dare we talk about all the rest of his op-ed that is true (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703766704576009350303578410.html)?

Quite frankly, David, I'm disappointed in you. Have you read the original op-ed or have you, too, joined the Amalgamated American Cherry-Pickers Solidarity Union?

How about that average Federal workers wage? The fact that Federal hiring after removing the Census workers has, in fact, gone up? Any takers on unfunded state and local pensions? Or this very perceptive, factually correct statement:

The moral case for unions—protecting working families from exploitation—does not apply to public employment. Government employees today are among the most protected, well-paid employees in the country. Ironically, public-sector unions have become the exploiters, and working families once again need someone to stand up for them.
If we're going to stop the government unions' silent coup, conservative reformers around the country must fight this challenge head on. The choice between big government and everyday Americans isn't a hard one.

David G
12-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Milo,

I didn't get inspired to create this series of "Lying Politician" threads by reading the op-ed pieces, or speeches, or whatever document the lies were contained in. I was reading the various cases from PolitiFact, and their judgments about the veracity of particular claims.

You can call this 'cherry-picking' if you so desire. But my impression so far is that PolitiFact - as an organization - is pretty assiduously non-partisan. They also seem to be more generous in their judgments about what is a lie and what is not than I would be.

So... did Pawlenty lie in this instance. Yes he did.

Did he have a larger point (perhaps even a legitimate point) to make - that this lie served? Maybe. But - that's a separate topic. We could certainly have a discussion about the public employees unions, and unions in general, and whether they're outmoded, and whether they need to be more widely encouraged by public policy, and suchlike. But that really IS a separate topic. Feel free to use my post as a jumping-off point to start your own thread. My point is that he lied. If he wants to convince me of the truthfulness of his larger point (whatever that point might be, and whatever issues he is addressing at any given time) - then I'd suggest that he NOT argue his case by lying to me.

I'm disappointed that you're disappointed.