PDA

View Full Version : squirrels and bird feeders and too much time on my hands

ssor
12-15-2010, 03:01 PM
The universal problem of squirrels on bird feeders has been solved for the moment. I picked up a road kill deer haed for my grand daughter, (she collects skulls) and boiled the thing until I could pull the hide off and deflesh it. I was able to get a lot but there is enough left to rot if I bring it inside.
I feed the winter birds on a plarform feeder that hangs in a tree. The squirrels consume about 2/3 of the seed. I laid the skull up on the feeder and the birds are picking the meat off and the squirrels are scared of it completely. They haven't come near it after the first try.

Phillip Allen
12-15-2010, 03:03 PM
"rack" up one for the birds

S.V. Airlie
12-15-2010, 03:11 PM
I wrapped the pole..metal with a stand of electric wire. Worked for the squirrels using the pole for access. At least they didn't use it

Phillip Allen
12-15-2010, 07:12 PM
actually, I cured the problem with a pellet rifle...more than thirty fell before they got the message

Phillip Allen
12-15-2010, 08:55 PM
That's my technique. Yard-fed squirrels are fatter and tastier than woods squirrels.

wood squirrels are too grainy for my taste...in fact just the thought makes me sycamore

Gerarddm
12-15-2010, 08:58 PM
A pellet pistol set to 'stun' works wonders on thieving squirrels. Learns 'em good, what? ;-)

Paul Pless
12-15-2010, 08:59 PM
wood squirrels are too grainy for my taste...squirrel dumplins, that's where its at

Phillip Allen
12-15-2010, 09:00 PM
squirrel dumplins, that's where its at

too suthren for me..."care for some more rat?"

Paul Pless
12-15-2010, 09:02 PM
too suthren for me..."care for some more rat?"I'm looking forward to trying these squirrels from hell, they are about twice the size of Alabama squirrels.

Phillip Allen
12-15-2010, 09:04 PM
I'm looking forward to trying these squirrels from hell, they are about twice the size of Alabama squirrels.
come down here and eat up all mine...got coons and possums too

Paul Pless
12-15-2010, 09:05 PM
i've tried coon, but possum is beyond me

Phillip Allen
12-15-2010, 09:11 PM
i've tried coon, but possum is beyond me

it just proves you're sane... next time you drive past an old dead cow out in a field, with it's legs sticking up and bloated to twice it's normal size... run up and kick it and watch what runs out of it's butt

Bobby of Tulsa
12-15-2010, 10:30 PM
it just proves you're sane... next time you drive past an old dead cow out in a field, with it's legs sticking up and bloated to twice it's normal size... run up and kick it and watch what runs out of it's butt

Par boil that coon, bone it and smoke it. A little bbq sauce and you are good to go.

Breakaway
12-15-2010, 11:05 PM
actually, I cured the problem with a pellet rifle...more than thirty fell before they got the message

I've been at that for years. There is NO END to the supply of squirrels.

On a related note, while cleaning fish last week, with a horde of gulls around the boat, one of the birds ate some tossed overboard guts with a hook still in it. It choked and died, and when it did, and lay floating lifeless, the entire flock of friends took off, despite of pile of fish and offal still in the offing.

So maybe I'll nail a dead squirrel or three to the trees near the feeders.

Kevin

J P
12-16-2010, 12:03 AM
What is this, a sciurophobe support group? Try dealing with chipmunk hordes. :D

I picked up a road kill deer haed for my grand daughter, (she collects skulls) and boiled the thing until I could pull the hide off and deflesh it. I was able to get a lot but there is enough left to rot if I bring it inside.

There's a business (http://www.beetleworks.montana.com/) out this way that has a flesh-eating beetle colony that they use to clean skulls and skeletons. Interesting niche. Maybe something your granddaughter would be interested in. Name's not Addams or Munsters is it?

Hunky Dory
12-16-2010, 12:28 AM
They are all gods creatures, I don't mind the squirrels eating from the feeders they need to eat too. But my corgi sure loves chasing them off.

JBreeze
12-16-2010, 12:55 AM
If you want some beetles to eat everything but the bones of an animal, try your local university.

If they have a comparative anatomy group within the Zoology Dept., one of the grad students might give you a small number of beetles to start your own colony....it doesn't take long and the beetles will eat everything but the bones.