PDA

View Full Version : DUCK BOAT

GCOU727865
12-22-2000, 01:32 PM
LOOKING FOR PLANS ON THE BARNEGAT BAY DUCK BOAT. HAS WOODEN BOAT EVER DONE ANY ARTICLES ON THE BARNEGAT BAY BOAT?

Thad
12-22-2000, 04:33 PM
There are articles in volumes 20 and 47. You can use the on line search but this is more fun, if you have those issues.

Ian McColgin
12-22-2000, 07:06 PM
Chappell's book has the plans.

Always wanted to make one. Go for it.

Put the big scatter gun in the bow and horrify tree huggers and dolphin lovers (like myself) . . .

G'luck

dadadata
12-22-2000, 09:05 PM
See also the "Rudder Sail Boat Plan Book" published in the 1940s. It has a sneakbox "how-to" reprinted from an article which appeared in the 1930s.

dadadata
12-22-2000, 10:09 PM
I knew there was something else online.
http://dragonflycanoe.com/stephens/progress6.html

(Sneakboxes section in WP Stephens CANOE AND BOAT BUILDING FOR AMATEURS)

Jim Michalak has done a plywood adaptation of the "Garvey Box" in Chapelle - American Small Sailing Craft.

Andrew
01-05-2001, 02:36 PM
I've just finished the lofting for a 13.5 ft Melonseed from lines by Liener. This model is reputedly somewhat faster than those built from Chapelle's line. My wife sailed in one and loved it hence I was given license to build one. There are several websites dedicated to Melonseeds. Just put MELONSEED in your favorite search engine and check them out.

garland reese
01-06-2001, 12:19 AM
The W P Stephens book that dadadata mentioned above has a few different version of the sneakbox. There are some really cool round sterned cruising versions of the duckboat.
Chappell's American Small Sailing craft has lines for the Barnegat Bay sneakbox as well as the Melonseed Skiff that Andrew mentions.
Andrew! Where did you find the Melonseed lines? You mentioned you lofted the lines from Liener? Where did you find those? Are they the same as Chappelle's? Are the Liener lines a whole plans set or are they just offset tables? What type of construction are you using to build your Melonseed? Is the rig for your (Liener)version a sprit like that of Mr. Crawford's fiberglass version, or is it a sprit with a boom, like the Chappelle drawings? I very much would like to build a Melonseed, but I'd like to go with glued lap or strip sheathed construction, since she'll spend a lot of time out of the water. I'm very much a novice at boat building. The Melonseed is a beautiful little boat....one that I'd love to give a go at building. I'd like to know more about your project!
Garland

Dave Carnell
01-06-2001, 07:46 AM
Thomas Firth Jones' "Low-Resistance Boats" republished as "Boats to Go" has some designs. He will have a new book out in May.

Wayne Jeffers
01-06-2001, 11:26 PM
The Barnegat Sneakbox is also featured in Chapter 24 of John Gardner's "Building Classic Small Craft, Vol. 1." It is patterned after the Stephens boat, and Gardner's lines and instructions may be easier to follow.

A Merrymeeting Bay Duckboat is shown in Gardner's "More Building Classic Small Craft."

Best of luck,

Wayne

jonlab
01-10-2001, 02:50 PM
A late reply to this post, but Mystic Seaport sells plans for sneakboxes.
http://www.mysticseaport.org/public/collections/ships.plans/hunting.html