PDA

View Full Version : Upper Midwest Blizzard?

Milo Christensen
12-12-2010, 07:56 AM
Sounds like the Blizzard of Ten will be talked about for a long time. How are all our Minnesotans doing? Wisconsin? Anywhere else significantly affected?

It's just started snowing here, after a cold drizzle through the night, the air temp is 34 - the flakes are huge and dropping straight down.

Keith Wilson
12-12-2010, 08:31 AM
A pretty big storm, not that abnormal for here. I think we got around 18" of snow, maybe more, although it was blowing hard and it was waist deep in much of the driveway. Fortunately it was cold enough that the snow wasn't too wet and heavy. If this happened very often, I'd have to get a bigger snowblower; it was often entirely buried on the first pass with only the tip of the chute sticking out above the snow (a little 2-stroke Toro; a valiant machine). Lots of businesses were closed and events canceled. I didn't have anywhere I needed to go, so it was really a very pleasant day. NW wind, sunny and cold today, about -5F now, -15 tonight.

Out my back door about 2/3 of the way through:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0cc30b3127ccefb82b6c5f27700000030O00BYsmzNu4aMQ e3nwE/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

S.V. Airlie
12-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Just rain on the coast..actually quite warm

huisjen
12-12-2010, 08:35 AM
THE FLOOD WATCH CONTINUES FOR

* PENOBSCOT, PISCATAQUIS, WASHINGTON, HANCOCK, NORTHERN SOMERSET,
AND SOUTHERN AROOSTOOK COUNTIES.

* FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH LATE MONDAY NIGHT

* A STRONG LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL TRACK TO THE NORTHWEST OF
MAINE TONIGHT THROUGH MONDAY. THIS SYSTEM WILL BRING THE
POSSIBILITY FOR HEAVY RAINFALL...POTENTIALLY IN EXCESS OF 3
INCHES TO PORTIONS OF THE WATCH AREA. THE COMBINATION OF
POTENTIALLY HEAVY RAINFALL AND SNOW MELT WILL INCREASE THE FLOOD
THREAT. SMALL STREAMS COULD RISE TO FLOOD LEVELS AND MAINSTREAM
RIVERS SUCH AS THE MATTAWAMKEAG...PISCATAQUIS AND PENOBSCOT
RIVERS MAY RISE SIGNIFICANTLY.

* WINDS...SOUTHEAST 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 60 MPH WITH THE
HIGHEST GUSTS ALONG THE COAST AND OUTER ISLANDS.

* IMPACTS...HIGH IMPACT. WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO CAUSE DOWNED
TREES AND BRANCHES TO SNAP WITH WIDESPREAD POWER OUTAGES.
BLOWN DOWN DEBRIS MAY MAKE SOME ROADWAYS IMPASSABLE.
STRUCTURAL DAMAGE TO BUILDINGS MAY OCCUR.

T'ain't just the Midwest.

My Republican cousin in western Michigan is complaining his road isn't plowed yet. He says it isn't even snow. It's more fluffy slush. I told him the plow money went to mistargeted wars and tax cuts for the super rich.

Dan

Garth Jones
12-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Rain turning to snow later today here in Pittsburgh. We're only supposed to get 2-4" over the next two days, but our local government is already talking up its plans and warning people to stay home during the 'snow and ice event.' Right now it looks like it's going to be a fairly normal storm for here but officials are freaked out because of their total failure last winter.....

S.V. Airlie
12-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Sounds like it went to the cuts for services such as a plow or two.

Garret
12-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Rain turning to snow later today here in Pittsburgh. We're only supposed to get 2-4" over the next two days, but our local government is already talking up its plans and warning people to stay home during the 'snow and ice event.' Right now it looks like it's going to be a fairly normal storm for here but officials are freaked out because of their total failure last winter.....

That & the TV news folks seem to think 2" of snow requires screaming "Emergency!", 5 minutes of weather forecaster who's so new to the area he doesn't know how to pronounce local town names & devoting ridiculous amounts of time to pictures of some moron who didn't put on snow tires. Sheesh. It's [fill in state name north of Virginia], it snows in the winter!

S.V. Airlie
12-12-2010, 08:51 AM
2" in southwestern North Carolina could be a bloody emergency

Tom from Rubicon
12-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Southeast Wisconsin ten inches and still coming down. Worst thing is I may run out of beer.

Garret
12-12-2010, 09:06 AM
2" in southwestern North Carolina could be a bloody emergency

Which is why I said "north of Virginia" |;) I drove through NC in the big blizzard last winter & saw just how difficult it was for people.

Many years ago I lived in NW Arkansas. They don't have snow plows there (or didn't then anyway). I was driving up 71 to work one day in about 3" of snow. Not a soul on the road, but there was a cop parked in a parking lot near it. As I drove by he put on his lights & motioned me over. I drove up alongside the cruiser & he said "What are you doing out here? It's snowing!". I said "But it's only 3 inches." He replied - "Oh you're from up north. (accent tells all) I know you may be used to driving in this, but you folks have snow tires. We don't." I looked at his cruiser & said "Yes you do." He looked at me like I was nuts. I said "You have mud slicks (local term) on the cruiser don't you?" He replied "Of course, we always put them on this time of year so we can deal with muddy back roads.". I got out, went over to the cruiser & looked at his tires. I pointed to the tire & said "Take a look.". It said "Mud & Snow" on the sidewall.

He grinned, said "Have a safe trip, but I still think you're nuts." & got back in his cruiser. He never noticed that I didn't have mud slicks on my truck....

S.V. Airlie
12-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Driving into Ga near Otto NC I used to chuckle at seeing a ski area located there. Never saw any snow while living there. Never saw enough white stuff to ski on...Very much out of place.

C. Ross
12-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Two and a half hours snowblowing and shoveling last night, another two hours this morning. I live in a neighborhood of detached garages and some condos and apartments with no off-street parking. A lot of jockeying to get everyone out of the way of the plows. Everybody pitches in. It's all good.

Breakaway
12-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Yikes! Metrodome collapses!
http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/metrodome-collapses-blizzard_2010-12-12

Rain and wind here on Long Island. About 50 F right now.
Kevin

Garret
12-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Yikes! Metrodome collapses!
http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/metrodome-collapses-blizzard_2010-12-12

Rain and wind here on Long Island. About 50 F right now.
Kevin

OMG! The Vikings & Giants might have to play "outdoors"! You'd think it was Green Bay or something.....:ycool:

S.V. Airlie
12-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Hardship pay! Must be something about this in their contracts

Keith Wilson
12-12-2010, 09:35 AM
The Metrodome roof coming down isn't a big deal. When it was new it used to collapse more often. They understand it better now so it hasn't happened for a while, but they'll just reinflate it in a a couple of days.

Glen Longino
12-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Sunny and windy here turning to more sun this afternoon with 100% chance of darkness tonight, followed by more sun tomorrow.;)

PhaseLockedLoop
12-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Snowed in. Blizzard conditions. 45mph winds. We're told not to travel 'til Monday, at best.

htom
12-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Officially, 17.1" at the Minneapolis airport, fifth largest snowfall in modern records for one storm. Down here in Eagan there might have been a few inches more. There was slight drifting on the driveway that was over the top of the intake of the snowthrower, which struggled yesterday. Going out this morning to clean up the edges, corners, allow the mailman to get to the mailboxes, the fire hydrants, ... and the inch or three that accumulated over night. Cable went down yesterday afternoon around three, taking internet and cable TV with it, came back about a half hour ago. There were times yesterday when the visibility from falling (not really blowing) snow was under 100'; I couldn't see the mailboxes just past the end of the driveway.

She wants to go out to go to a movie, but I'm not sure that's a wise idea.

htom
12-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Metrodome collapse is not just another simple deflation; the snow load has torn some of the panels and they need to be repaired or replaced before it can be reinflated.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
12-12-2010, 11:24 AM
A foot of snow is predicted for the South Shore of Lake Erie, two feet east of Cleveland in the snow belt.
It's raining right now, about 36 degrees.
50 MPH winds will give us -15 wind chill factors tomorrow....brrrrr!

Ron Williamson
12-12-2010, 01:46 PM
It's starting to get dirty here,but down south a bit,around London it looks like they're getting hit hard again.
Last week they got 5' in some places.
Here's the local radar.
http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=WSO
We're just south of the S in Owen Sound.
R

Paul Girouard
12-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Video of roof collapse,

http://www.comcast.net/video/nfl-on-fox-metrodome-collapse/1693141125/Comcast/1690599193/

JBreeze
12-12-2010, 04:39 PM
It isn't bothering the Patriots very much playing in Chicago today.

33-0 at halftime in the snow and 30 mph wind.

SamSam
12-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Southeast Wisconsin ten inches and still coming down. Worst thing is I may run out of beer.You're supposed to get two days worth of beer for every day of possible isolation.

Iceboy
12-12-2010, 06:53 PM
They said it was 10" here. It is hard to tell as the wind really piles it up. 4 foot drift out the back door and one equally as big across the driveway. The snowblower took a dump last night after the first round of snow clearing (bad coil). Winched it into the garage with the Coot. Woke up at 4 AM to all 3 cats crowding the bed. Wondered why until I poked my head out of the covers and saw my breath. Seems the snow had drifted over the vent pipes and filled the burner box in the furnace with ice. Thawed and dried for 3 hours and got it to light but not stay lit. Called the repair guy and got great service. Hour later with a new thermocouple and there was heat. Dug the end of the driveway out by hand after the plows piled it shut and four wheeled to Fleet Farm for a new coil for the tractor. Had to break up the drifts with a shovel and an hour and a half later the driveway and sidewalks are clear. Couple of beers and a Packer loss topped off a pretty crappy day. Ah well, it happens and tomorrow starts anew.

Iceboy
12-12-2010, 06:55 PM
You're supposed to get two days worth of beer for every day of possible isolation.

There really aren't too many places in Wisconsin where you can't walk, snowmobile, ski or snow shoe to get beer.

skipper68
12-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Historic 43 inches in Syracuse NY last week. Don't know how much this storm will bring in.:(

Flying Orca
12-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Interesting that it walloped MPLSTPL and missed us completely except for the cold. (As near as I can tell - I was actually in Toronto for the weekend, which was much more pleasant.)

Joe Dupere
12-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Here in the frozen wasteland of central Maine, we're going to get 2-3 inches of rain tonight and tomorrow.

Joe, FFPoP

C. Ross
12-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Interesting that it walloped MPLSTPL and missed us completely except for the cold.

Oh, don't think a thing about it Courtney. You guys are always very generous sharing your cold with us.

SamSam
12-13-2010, 04:01 PM
There really aren't too many places in Wisconsin where you can't walk, snowmobile, ski or snow shoe to get beer.
I know, I lived on the "West Coast" for 14 years. But....my nearest neighbor was 1 1/2 miles away, the next nearest 5 miles, and inexplicably neither one were also a tavern. It's hard to believe, I know. The nearest tavern was about 8 miles away. Almost inconceivable but true. The roads wouldn't be plowed for 3-4 days sometimes with blizzards and I didn't have a snowmobile. It was savage.

Flying Orca
12-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Oh, don't think a thing about it Courtney. You guys are always very generous sharing your cold with us.

We've got plenty more at the moment. Don't know what your temps are like but we barely hit -20 today.

C. Ross
12-13-2010, 05:40 PM
We're about ten degrees warmer. You guys mst win the coldest city over X people. (Though we've got 3.2 million people so 3.2 million x "ouch!" total might be a little bit higher...)

Flying Orca
12-13-2010, 08:24 PM
IIRC there's a Siberian city that's colder and around the same size, but yeah, we're a contender in the 500 000 - 1 000 000 class...

Iceboy
12-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Man, that is just unthinkable!

I know, I lived on the "West Coast" for 14 years. But....my nearest neighbor was 1 1/2 miles away, the next nearest 5 miles, and inexplicably neither one were also a tavern. It's hard to believe, I know. The nearest tavern was about 8 miles away. Almost inconceivable but true. The roads wouldn't be plowed for 3-4 days sometimes with blizzards and I didn't have a snowmobile. It was savage.

S/V Laura Ellen
12-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Sarnia is shut down due to bad weather.

Sarnia Police and Lambton OPP are desperately trying to help numerous motorists stranded in outlying areas in today's blizzard weather conditions. Police were having problems getting to people in eastern portions of the city generally between Waterworks and Mandaumin. Police were sending messages via CB Radio to stranded truckers to ask them to help other stranded motorists by offering shelter in their heated rigs. Stranded motorists with a cell phone should call city police at (519) 344-8861 to report their location. Lambton OPP were picking up stranded motorists and taking them to warming centres at the Shores Recreational Complex in Forest and the Warwick Community Hall and Fire Department. Some 12 hundred people without power in the Inwood area can seek warmth and shelter at the firehall.

Flying Orca
12-13-2010, 09:49 PM
How's YYZ? I flew out yesterday, and I'm beginning to think that was good timing.

Ron Williamson
12-14-2010, 05:15 AM
The big problem is strong,cold north winds blowing over a fairly warm lake.
Almost everything was closed here yesterday,because of zero visibility.
R

S/V Laura Ellen
12-14-2010, 09:02 AM
How's YYZ? I flew out yesterday, and I'm beginning to think that was good timing.

Toronto was fine.

12-14-2010, 09:21 AM
We didn't get much snow but the wind and cold made up for that.
To top things off, Mr. Intestinal Flu came to visit.

Katherine
12-14-2010, 09:32 AM
I'm learning to enjoy the 4 hours a day I spend commuting, NOT!

S/V Laura Ellen
12-14-2010, 09:37 AM
There is a state of emergency in my area due to the snow. There are reports of up to 300 people stranded on a 60 mile stretch of highway.

"Red alert" over for London and Sarnia, rescue operation underway

Charlene Close Dec 14, 2010 09:15:43 AM Be the first to Comment (http://www.680news.com/storm-centre/article/156977--red-alert-over-for-london-and-sarnia-rescue-operation-underway#Comments)
23 Recommendation(s)
The "red alert" has ended for the area of Highway 402 between Sarnia and London, but a state of emergency remains in effect, Tuesday.

A rescue operation is underway after about 300 people were stranded on the highway between the two cities since late Monday due to a fierce snowstorm.

Three military helicopters were part of the rescue operation.

Those who were stranded spent the night huddled in their vehicles on the highway and on some back roads. In some cases, they've been there for 12 hours or more.

Ontario Provincial Police Const. Chrystal Jones said even four-wheel drives have been useless.

"Some of our four-wheel drive vehicles were experiencing difficulties in the snow because again, the plows have not been out. And of course, vehicles have been abandoned in the middle of roadways, so they've become impassable," said Const. Jones.

Volunteers and police officers on snowmobiles spent the overnight hours checking on people, bringing them food and gas.

But Const. Jones has told people to stay away.

"Weather conditions are not good out here, and if you do venture this way, there's a good chance that you are going to be stuck in traffic, stuck on the roadways, stranded for probably a number of hours," she said.

Milo Christensen
12-14-2010, 10:01 AM
I'm learning to enjoy the 4 hours a day I spend commuting, NOT!

Went downtown for a Dead Wings game last night, I-96 outbound was an absolute nightmare of a parking lot for ?what? 20 miles?

Katherine
12-14-2010, 10:20 AM
This morning was another 10mph crawl. By the way, Hell has frozen over.

S/V Laura Ellen
12-14-2010, 10:48 AM
I want a Unimog!
http://littlepixel.info/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/unimog.jpg

htom
12-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Yesterday's traffic was poor. The roads were mostly in good shape, snow packed, lanes narrowed or unplowed. The problem was mostly due to people driving like idiots -- too fast, not signaling, blowing yellows and reds -- all in the aid of saving seconds. Didn't see any crashes, flips, or spin-outs happen, but saw that lots had happened. The trip from downtown Minneapolis to Ridgedale took an hour and ten minutes, an hour longer than normal.

12-14-2010, 03:12 PM
It's the same thing here.
It's like people forget how to drive in the snow.
"Take your time and get there alive", has always been my motto.
The roads are the worst here, "patchy".
All clear for a bit, then solid ice.
Too cold for road salt to be effective.
Please be careful and patient.