PDA

View Full Version : Does any one have warmer than "normal" temps right now?

varadero
12-10-2010, 09:57 AM
I only ask because we have had 20 C temps now since Saturday, normal is about 12 C. It also snowed last Tuesday, and never rose nabove 4 C, not normal untill end of January. Yet up North have had Heavy Snow and record breaking low temps now for close on 2 weeks.
I know the antipodeans and South Americans had exceptionally cold winters, How are your Summers, Hotter or colder? I hear Cancun broke 100 year records for cold?

LeeG
12-10-2010, 10:02 AM
anyone have normal flatulence lately?

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
12-10-2010, 10:38 AM
No to both questions

Ian McColgin
12-10-2010, 10:42 AM
He's just augering in on anecdotally claiming that climate change is not happening. For the rest of us, another log on the fire . . .

varadero
12-10-2010, 11:06 AM
He's just augering in on anecdotally claiming that climate change is not happening. For the rest of us, another log on the fire . . .

No, if you noticed I was saying how unseasonably warm it is here right now, and was wanting to know, because of all the cold stuff flying around, if any one else has it the same.

TomF
12-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Was unseasonably warm about a week ago, but that's fixed now. :D

Chris Coose
12-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Up through November, Portland Maine has had 19 months in a row of above average temperatures.

More importantly the Gut has had no ice for 9-10 years according to the fisherman. "Thanks to global warming", most say.

varadero
12-10-2010, 11:20 AM
I find it unsettling to see so many record lows, some in excess of 100 years. And so many record highs, all at the same time.

Flying Orca
12-10-2010, 11:26 AM
That's what you expect with more volatile weather.

Oh, yeah - unseasonably warm up to mid-Nov., seasonal (ish) with tons of precip since (record-breaking precip in Nov), now headed for below seasonal for a few days but I'm in comparatively warm Toronto for the weekend so I don't have to deal with -30.

Joe (SoCal)
12-10-2010, 11:28 AM
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m320/fosterhere/30bbbe99.png

Dryer vent fixed, it should be warming up soon :p
Hold on everyone I'll put in a load of wet towels ;)

Eric Hvalsoe
12-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Generally my feeling is that the planet has a temperature - meaning climate change is occuring. I think humankind has quite a bit to do with it. There are many indications of global warming, and many, in our human scale of reference and experience, erratic weather patterns.

But locally speaking - I ski, and three out of the last four winters have been great for snow in the US pacific northwest,
for many of the western mountain ranges. Last year was odd. Early snow, a midwinter dry period, than late season storms and heavy snowfall at mountain elevations. We are expecting a moist and relatively cold winter - nina or nino, I always forget which. We should have enough moist air currents and cold from the north to give skiers another good year, I don't expect the lowlands to be uncharacteristically cold. This is indicative of nothing other than the Pacific Northwest.

ljb5
12-10-2010, 01:02 PM
I only ask because we have had 20 C temps now since Saturday, normal is about 12 C....

Since you asked the question, it would be interesting to see you compile the data (as a scientist would) and apply some statistical tools to test the null hypothesis.

Who knows? You might even get one of those hugely lucrative research grants that are handed out willy-nilly.

Let us know how it goes.

varadero
12-10-2010, 01:24 PM
What are you doing awake at 3 am in Tokyo. Waheey

ljb5
12-10-2010, 01:43 PM
What are you doing awake at 3 am in Tokyo.

Believe me, it's weighing on me a lot more than it is on you.

varadero
12-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Oh, you have read climatedepot, calm down buddy.

Joe Dupere
12-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Yeah, it's been warmer than usual for this time of year. Usually we have a couple week stretch of below zero weather before Christmas, this year it's only been this one day. It's supposed to warm up again starting Sunday and get into the 30's F.

Joe, FFPoP

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
12-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Been in the 20's for a week.
It's almost 40 right now!!!
Weather channel warnning a blizzard headed this way by tomorrow.

Phillip Allen
12-11-2010, 02:55 PM
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m320/fosterhere/30bbbe99.png

Dryer vent fixed, it should be warming up soon :p
Hold on everyone I'll put in a load of wet towels ;)

Man, that's a BAD hairball...be more careful what you eat Joe :)

Chip-skiff
12-11-2010, 05:43 PM
We have warmer than normal temperatures with colder than average spells when a polar front hits us.

That is, the average temperature is considerably warmer, and the variability has also increased. Besides the unusual lack of snow cover, the forests are dead or dying from mountain pine beetle infestation, which is a definite sign of warmer conditions. The river still has open water along the current, which is unusual this late in the year.

I'm a trained scientific observer and these are actual conditions.

varadero
12-12-2010, 02:47 AM
I had to drop 2 eucalyptus trees recently, they were both over 70 feet, They had a wierd white deposit on the leaves last summer, then shed all the leaves quickly. While logging them up I discovered burrowing termites, not only in the sap wood but up to 18" into the trunk. These have been the healthiest trees on my land for 20 years now, in the drought and heatwaves of the 90s no problems, I am wondering if the colder wetter winters of the last 2 or 3 years might have somthing to do with the problem. Any tree experts?

Allison
12-12-2010, 02:57 AM
Varadero, would totally depend on the species of eucalypt, there are about 800.
A gum losing all it's leaves is not healthy, definitely not!