PDA

View Full Version : Beating up the lil' children

George Jung
12-09-2010, 03:44 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:obmLlDqHh7CWGM: (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://besttoysguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/toy_radioflyerclassicredtricyclewithpushhandle.jpg&imgrefurl=http://besttoysguide.com/radio-flyer-tricycle/radio-flyer-classic-red-tricycle-with-push-handle&usg=__UpgEV4qg5A7iASeUQCt6cDE_JGc=&h=540&w=540&sz=115&hl=en&start=1&zoom=1&itbs=1&tbnid=obmLlDqHh7CWGM:&tbnh=132&tbnw=132&prev=/images%3Fq%3DRadio%2BFlyer%2BClassic%2BRed%2BTricy cle%2Bwith%2BPush%2BHandle%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26gb v%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1)

anyone here have small kids? Grandkids? I'd ask - what's wrong with this picture?

seanz
12-09-2010, 03:49 PM
That bike is tiny!

Or it'll work as a battering ram when pedalled in reverse.

George Jung
12-09-2010, 03:51 PM
I was thinking the handle was cleverly, twistedly, setup to allow a large adult to push the trike to a relatively highspeed, with the leverage to flip that sucker in the blink of an eye, as well.

Maybe I'm projecting.

Ian McColgin
12-09-2010, 03:51 PM
That thing even legal now-a-days? It's head injuries waiting to happen.

George Jung
12-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Saw it at Amazon; and agree, but the heads a'busting may be the adults.

Don't ask how I know this.

Milo Christensen
12-09-2010, 03:55 PM
The idea behind the product is two fold - pushing the kid gets across the idea of how to pedal it and I know from personal experience how tired a little kid can get pedaling a trike on a walk around the block with dad. The handle allows you to get both the kid and the trike home without having to carry both.

George Jung
12-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Oh, I know how it's supposed to work.....

Weakest link comes into play, don't you think?

Ever see JackAs$/the movie?

Brian Palmer
12-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Having recently pushed my share of toddlers up the hill on their small bikes etc., I can see that handle as being a real back saver. However, it also convinces the kid that as soon as the feel the slightest bit winded, Mom/Dad/Gram/Gramps etc. is there to provide horsepower at the first little whine.

Brian

Allison
12-09-2010, 04:01 PM
The handle also gives you something to grab when they go to head out into the street under a car!

seanz
12-09-2010, 04:06 PM
I was thinking the handle was cleverly, twistedly, setup to allow a large adult to push the trike to a relatively highspeed, with the leverage to flip that sucker in the blink of an eye, as well.

Maybe I'm projecting.

"Hang on tight little Timmy, Uncle Hamish will show you the hammer throw"

You don't work in pediatrics, do you George?
:)

George Jung
12-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Yes, but under protest.... (just kidding):p

Allison
12-09-2010, 04:13 PM
I still haven't figured out how you came up with the title to this thread, why?:rolleyes:

tomlarkin
12-09-2010, 04:24 PM
I think the concern is, if the adult pushes too fast, the trike pedals will beat the hell out of the kid's legs. These things don't freewheel. (Although that would be a useful addition, but then you'd need brakes. And the kid would need to know how to use them. Never mind.)

George Jung
12-09-2010, 04:29 PM
slippery slope, eh?

Yeah, in the right hands, that handle makes sense. We didn't have adults watching over our playtime. Maybe it's just me, but I look at things like that in a 'what could possibly go wrong' perspective.

gibetheridge
12-09-2010, 04:30 PM
A rambunctious youngster could ram that handle into an adult. The height looks like it would connect somewhere where it would hurt. Better not let go of that handle, Daddy.

Allison
12-09-2010, 04:34 PM
My grandkids don't have that sort of thing but I see it everywhere, a bit over the top!

Milo Christensen
12-09-2010, 04:39 PM
. . . if the adult pushes too fast, the trike pedals will beat the hell out of the kid's legs. . . .

Yes, I can see that now, and big brothers figuring that out real quick with little pesky sister on the trike. Now I'm having visions of little tiny chubby legs flying up and down in a blur.

George has thought this through.

Paul Pless
12-09-2010, 04:40 PM
but I look at things like that in a 'what could possibly go wrong' perspective.that handle doesn't happen to be at adult male crotch height does it?

George Jung
12-09-2010, 04:41 PM
That's me.

Working out the important, pesky problems, one at a time.

Some might say it's a calling.

Others, that I'm under-employed.

For myself, I'm pleading the 5th.

Harry Miller
12-09-2010, 05:58 PM
You're supposed to like your kids/grandkids. If you want to "beat them up" you can do that in lots of other ways.

George Jung
12-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Harry, that's the point. I'm not suggesting this trike as a gift.... too many 'what ifs', in my opinion.

Get'em a nice soft pillow (though I see a problem there, as well....):d

Cuyahoga Chuck
12-09-2010, 07:05 PM
I got a picture of me somewhere pushing one of those contraptions. No damage was done. The kids are in the second grade now and doing just fine.

Michael D. Storey
12-09-2010, 07:25 PM
It strikes me as similar to that dog leash with the attached muzzle. A strong desire to control, instead of to teach.

Breakaway
12-09-2010, 10:20 PM
We have that exact trike. You'd think the stick is for propulsion. But its for directional control.

Here's the deal. Kids learn to pedal way before they can steer straight. So taking a 2-1/2 to three year old for a ride ends up being a circle the diameter of the turning radius of the bike. But with the stick, when they turn into the curb, you just press on the stick, pop a little wheelie, and get er going in the right direction.(Both kids just jept pedaling even with the front wheel in the air) My three year old just graduated past this bike--anyone need one?--and now rides two-wheeler with training wheels. But for a long time, if she wanted to ride with her 5.5 year old sister, who rides a real two-wheeler without trainers, me steering the stick trike was the only way to accomplish a family ride. Now all three of us ride.

Kevin

Shang
12-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Many of us explain the frolic, play and engage in games of my golden childhood involved explosives and flammable liquids. It's a fuggin' wonder that we survived to be grandparents.
But today as parents and grandparents, would we approve of our own kith and kin blowing up or incinerating their toy things with the enthusiastic abandon that we did...Or perhaps one another...?
Well... shoot... maybe...
Next summer my grand kid, who raises the family name, when he comes to call, will be old enough to appreciate the trebuchet I want to build on the deck overlooking the lake. Or regarding the rifled potato-gun powered by LPG gas which is promised to penetrate half-inch plywood at fifty yards, for which I have plans.

Perhaps it is nature's plan by which the children are educated to appreciate that they are at least as whimsical as those to whom they are related who have gray in their hair.

I've relate accounted elsewhere my accounteded childhood in which my grandfather taught me much by means of avocados and the California Highway Patrol, and I remember him with infection, and make breakfast pancakes in his memory.

pefjr
12-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Don't give em that exercise machine, too dangerous, put em in a padded cell with a TV and blue ray, feed em French ice cream, donuts , coca cola, and fast food, and French fries. Right Doc.?

Breakaway
12-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Stupid Stuff with Kids: My daughter loves throwing rocks through the skim ice on the creek across the way. Teaches her aim and concentration; physics; that actions have consequences; that there is a life of the mind which nobody can teach you--it must come from within.

Kevin

Milo Christensen
12-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Trebuchet? Did somebody say trebuchet? The grandboys are coming over tomorrow to spend the day and I just don't know if I can wait 'til Christmas to give them the NERF ball trebuchet I just built them, along with the pictures of the castles glued onto foam board to be used as targets. Actually, the NERF balls don't knock down the castles with enough force, so I've recalibrated the thing to sling miniature tennis ball like thingys which are very satisfying when they hit the castles.

pefjr
12-09-2010, 11:47 PM
When I was 8 I invented my own ballgame by throwing a golf ball against the front steps. The steps were about 7 large and wide concrete, the ball would usually bounce or fly straight back to me, I would catch it and pretend to throw out a Yankee or Brave at first base. Occasionally the golf ball would bounce off the top of the wide steps and slice back like a foul ball and crash into the panes of the French door framing. Rarely the ball would crack a 12 by 12 glass pane. My father was very mad but took me to the hardware store and bought a putty knife, some putty and a dozen glass panes. I was puzzled why he bought so many panes. The next week boredom got the best of me and I played my game again and within a couple days had cracked another pane. My father faked a tantrum but fixed the pane. This was repeated all summer and he had to return to the hardware again for more panes. He got very quick and could replace three panes in 5 minutes. I must have broken a couple a week. Then he taught me how to smooth the putty and clean the window up. For the next few summers I earned my money repairing broken window panes for the neighbors.

Shang
12-09-2010, 11:52 PM
Trebuchet? Did somebody say trebuchet? The grandboys are coming over tomorrow to spend the day and I just don't know if I can wait 'til Christmas to give them the NERF ball trebuchet I just built them, along with the pictures of the castles glued onto foam board to be used as targets. Actually, the NERF balls don't knock down the castles with enough force, so I've recalibrated the thing to sling miniature tennis ball like thingys which are very satisfying when they hit the castles.

Nerf balls! Oh come now Milo, trebuchets are intended to hurl rocks, flaming balls of pitch, protesting prisoners and rather many decomposing bodies of prisoners or lately dead cows over the walls.
This is difficult to explain to grandchildren although true.

Phillip Allen
12-10-2010, 12:55 AM
anyone ever read Pat McManus's "Deer On a Bicycle?

Milo Christensen
12-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Nerf balls! Oh come now Milo, trebuchets are intended to hurl rocks, flaming balls of pitch, protesting prisoners and rather many decomposing bodies of prisoners or lately dead cows over the walls.
This is difficult to explain to grandchildren although true.

NERF balls was the only way I could sneak this contraption into the house, some negotiation was involved, you're married, you understand. Not at all difficult to explain to young boys, they will grasp the concept that this thing will fling anything put in the sling immediately. But I plan long range. This indoor toy (do note both terms) is to simply introduce the little boys to the joys of flinging things with medieval contraptions. It's a devious plan to develop a work force eager to assist me to build the much larger version in the long range plan. I expect that the older boys (all strapping men in their mid 20's) will spend more time with this at Christmas than the little boys under the guise of helping the kids learn how to use it.

Milo Christensen
12-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Larry, I'm thinking there'll be plastic "superheros" and toy soldiers and, maybe, since they have an entire collection of plastic farm animals, who knows, there's a next step up from dead plastic farm animals, right? Part of the plan is to have all these plastic "guys" and "critters" downrange around the castle targets serving as targets of opportunity, the more target rich the environment, the more fun and the more likely they will be to wonder "hey, what happens if?"

I mean, who with an Y chromosome could resist sending a knight in shining armor down the hall from a trebuchet aimed at a castle? I know I won't be able to.

PhaseLockedLoop
12-10-2010, 10:59 AM
he he he.. :D next they'll be flingin' walnuts, pecan, hazelnuts, brazilnuts.. just name a few just to see if it'll crack somethun...

When I was 8 years old, we used one to fling cherrybombs and bulldogs. Real cherrybombs.

A good idea? Probably not.

Tall Boy
12-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Hmmm, if you stepped a little mast on the front fork, that handle would be a great place to sheet the sail from.....................hey my boy said it, I didn't.