PDA

View Full Version : Have to approve it to find out what's in it

David W Pratt
12-08-2010, 01:13 PM
The NYT had a story today the gist of which is that hidden deep in the bowels of the new healthcare law is a provision that takes away the discount for orphan drugs for rural hospitals. It wasn't exactly clear to me why that particular provision was in there, but it doesn't sound like a step in the right direction.

htom
12-08-2010, 01:33 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/08/health/policy/08health.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

S.V. Airlie
12-08-2010, 01:34 PM
So you are saying now that those who approved it now know what is in it?

David W Pratt
12-09-2010, 08:42 AM
No, now we know one more thing that was in it that was not (to my, admitedly, imperfect knowledge of the debate) discussed prior to passage.
I think it was Nancy Pelosi who said "we have to pass it to find out what's in it." Could be wrong.

S.V. Airlie
12-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Well Pelosi's comment was the most depressing thing spoken by the leadership. Does not make me feel warm and cozy.

Milo Christensen
12-09-2010, 09:10 AM
. . . Could be wrong.

You just could be. Now I find out where Jamie gets his history from. So sad.

“But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.

Pugwash
12-09-2010, 09:27 AM
In other news......

Oh, wait,... from the very same article.

A House Democrat who worked on the health care law said the situation had resulted from “an honest mistake in drafting,” and he added, “No one intended to take away any of the drug discounts that children’s hospitals already had.”
The discount program is widely known as the 340B program, after the relevant section of the Public Health Service Act.
Mary K. Wakefield, the administrator of the Health Resources and Services Administration, the federal agency that manages the program, said she shared the concerns of children’s hospitals. “We support a technical correction by Congress that will preserve access to discounted medications for more vulnerable Americans,” Ms. Wakefield said.

And the reason it's there in the first place?

In a last-minute change sought by some drug manufacturers, Congress stipulated in the new health care law that rural hospitals, children’s hospitals and certain free-standing cancer centers could not get discounts on orphan drugs through the 340B program.

I think you're right. It sounds like a Communist plot to me.

ಠ~ಠ

S.V. Airlie
12-09-2010, 09:31 AM
You just could be. Now I find out where Jamie gets his history from. So sad.

Here is a video about a Senator who twisted in the wind when asked whether he had actually rad the bill. on Obama thread. Says a lot and nothing. But you will find some excuse. Maybe the "you should have said "US"

Milo Christensen
12-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Ummmm, in your continuing mindless rush to blather on and on and on, you, ummmm, forgot to include the link to the video. Should I go to the other thread and do that for you? No. I won't. Time for you to lift your end of the load and be more responsible in your posting.

David W Pratt
12-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I read the "honest mistake" part, made me remember thinking at the time congress people were saying "we have to pass this quickly" why? wouldn't it be better if it was thoroughly debated and we knew what was in it?