PDA

View Full Version : Sorry Tom, I wasn't fast enough

Phillip Allen
12-08-2010, 10:55 AM
I was going to say: it's about control of others

S.V. Airlie
12-08-2010, 10:57 AM
I was going to say: it's about control of others Actually it has the opposite effect for me. But I'm always wrong so....

TomF
12-08-2010, 11:01 AM
I'd just posted a note to that thread, responding to Larry.

I approve of the WBF's language policies, being all in favour of civility. On balance, probably Gerard's direct quote of the Sorkin piece should have been altered to replace that offending letter "u".

I am not in favour of a substantive post or thread disappearing, using the excuse of a second-hand f-bomb. And I hope that Gerard re-posts Sorkin's published comments with that minor piece of editorial license.

Larry P.
12-08-2010, 01:43 PM
it's about control of others

No it is about manners and consideration for others.

Ian McColgin
12-08-2010, 01:52 PM
It's all about not having a clue as to what you guys are discussing. How refreshing to be clueless and know it.

pefjr
12-08-2010, 02:04 PM
It's all about not having a clue as to what you guys are discussing. How refreshing to be clueless and know it.It's old hat to us, we have seen this on numerous occasions.

pefjr
12-08-2010, 02:06 PM
You'd think that everyone should know where the line has been drawn. But, it must be fun to test it every now and then.

TomF
12-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Ian,

An F-bomb appeared early in a C&P piece that Aaron Sorkin wrote and published at the Huffington Post, and which was reproduced here. Sorkin was rather scathing about the recent hunting expedition on Sarah Palin's reality show.

Though copied in its entirety, with attribution, Sorkin's once-published cuss word prompted Larry and Donn to push the hot button. To be fair, Donn also took exception to a mis-spelling in the thread title.

It is of course a certainty that had an F-bomb appeared in an analagous C&P trashing Obama, they'd have pushed the hot buttons as speedily, with exactly the same sense of outrage that decorum had been breached.

TomF
12-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Does Obama hunt Mose, too?Oh, I agree that is a wonderful mis-spelling. :D

FWIW, I disagree with Sorkin's distaste for hunting, however correct he might have been about the logistics of where Palin's hair and makeup trailer might have been positioned off-camera.

A Mo(o)se is a whole lot to pack out, at least according to my friend down the hall. I'd expect Obama to shoot smaller game, or perhaps just hoops.

Phillip Allen
12-08-2010, 03:09 PM
No it is about manners and consideration for others.

consideration for others...what a concept! I hope we can learn more from you sin-say. dI wonder what it looks likd when YOU consider others?

Allison
12-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Another thread gone!
I take it that it was about Palin and hunting, she's a bit of a protected species with some people around here!
I stay away from threads with her in it because it seems to bring out lots of very partisan feeling, she's a real touchstone for irrationality
Somebody pushed the button again. For a quote!

Someone pushed it on Bigfella and me last night too and the thread went poof and I was being polite so things are a bit tight around here at the moment.

Phillip Allen
12-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Another thread gone!
I take it that it was about Palin and hunting, she's a bit of a protected species with some people around here!
I stay away from threads with her in it because it seems to bring out lots of very partisan feeling, she's a real touchstone for irrationality
Somebody pushed the button again. For a quote!

Someone pushed it on Bigfella and me last night too and the thread went poof and I was being polite so things are a bit tight around here at the moment.

ANOTHER poofquake?!

delecta
12-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Does Obama hunt Mose, too?

Not since he bagged Michelle. :D

Larry P.
12-08-2010, 03:47 PM
consideration for others...what a concept! I hope we can learn more from you sin-say. dI wonder what it looks likd when YOU consider others?
av
Philip get real, post posted the article with the foul word not me. I have every right to report abuses of the forum. He wasn't banned rightfully so the thread was just deleted at no great loss.

Phillip Allen
12-08-2010, 03:51 PM
av
Philip get real, post posted the article with the foul word not me. I have every right to report abuses of the forum. He wasn't banned rightfully so the thread was just deleted at no great loss.

well alright...I guess everyone has his religion...death to the infidels!

S.V. Airlie
12-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Well I don't think it has anything todo with religion but that is my opinion. Using this word and others usually backfire as I see it.Every time I hearthem it actually demeans the speaker.

Larry P.
12-08-2010, 03:57 PM
there are plenty of forums that allow unfettered use of obscenities. If that is how you choose to convey a message or what you choose to post do there. The WBF has a basic set of rules, unless Scot decides to change them we agree to abide by them. I don't talk like that in front of women, children, or my elders. Basic rules of civility.

Phillip Allen
12-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Well I don't think it has anything todo with religion but that is my opinion. Using this word and others usually backfire as I see it.Every time I hearthem it actually demeans the speaker.

I actually agree...I'm just complaining about some here who think they're in a shooting gallery

S.V. Airlie
12-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Republicans are in season....wear orange

BETTY-B
12-08-2010, 09:10 PM
He was banned though, right?

Larry P.
12-08-2010, 10:59 PM
He was banned though, right?

No he wasn't.

BETTY-B
12-08-2010, 11:33 PM
No he wasn't.

I went back and saw your previous post, Larry. Thanks for the clarification. Once again, the rules have changed.

BrianW
12-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Personally, I've used "bad words", but since they weren't directed at individuals, or even a group of individuals, I've gone untouched by the almighty Scot. To me, it's always been about context, and not the word.

Could be wrong, or just lucky.

Ethan
12-08-2010, 11:52 PM
Personally, I've used "bad words", but since they weren't directed at individuals, or even a group of individuals, I've gone untouched by the almighty Scot. To me, it's always been about context, and not the word.

Listen here, B-Dub.....you're in Costa Rica vacationing with your sweetheart........STEP AWAY FROM THE iPHONE (and especially the WBF!)! ;)

Hope you guys are having a fantastic trip! Looking forward to pics

oznabrag
12-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Listen here, B-Dub.....you're in Costa Rica vacationing with your sweetheart........STEP AWAY FROM THE iPHONE (and especially the WBF!)! ;)

Hope you guys are having a fantastic trip! Looking forward to pics

+1 and a big grin from Tejas!

Tom Montgomery
12-09-2010, 08:02 PM

Just lucky.