PDA

View Full Version : are there any rich democrats?

Phillip Allen
12-07-2010, 09:32 PM
do they have any rich friends?

Garret
12-07-2010, 09:34 PM
do they have any rich friends?

I know a man who said he "spent" (aka lost in the market crash) 2.7 million to get Obama elected.

I realize that's not rich to some folks.....

Chris Coose
12-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Are there any left handed block masons?
Do they have any block- headed friends?

Glen Longino
12-07-2010, 09:35 PM
I'm a democrat, and I'm wealthy beyond measure!
I also have wealthy friends and some not so wealthy.

Ian McColgin
12-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Plenty of rich Democrats. They are just not as selfishly short sighted as the majority of rich Republicans.

Chris Coose
12-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Gonna hit 32,000 posts on this one Phillip.

Phillip Allen
12-07-2010, 09:38 PM
follow the money

John P Lebens
12-07-2010, 10:10 PM
There are plenty of rich Democrats - Warren Buffett is a good example of a super rich, capitalist, democrat.

The caricature of Democrats as minorities who want to suck off the law abiding, tax paying citizens is wrong. Many Democrats are fiscal conservatives. Mostly, they stand for reasonable income distribution, access to education, environmental stewardship, strong families and normal American values.

LeeG
12-07-2010, 10:13 PM
live long and prosper

Phillip Allen
12-07-2010, 10:18 PM
There are plenty of rich Democrats - Warren Buffett is a good example of a super rich, capitalist, democrat.

The caricature of Democrats as minorities who want to suck off the law abiding, tax paying citizens is wrong. Many Democrats are fiscal conservatives. Mostly, they stand for reasonable income distribution, access to education, environmental stewardship, strong families and normal American values.

well, that's a better post than I expected...what I expected was stuff like Coose came up with

LeeG
12-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Do independents cook better Thai food?

Phillip Allen
12-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Do independents cook better Thai food?

good point...I think?

Pugwash
12-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Charlie Chaplin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Eg8F3rap4

At one time the richest man in the world (IIRC).

McCarthy denied him re-entry to the US for "Communist activities".

Phillip Allen
12-07-2010, 10:55 PM
McCarthy was insane

Tall Boy
12-08-2010, 06:12 AM
71% of drunk driving arrest in the US are Democrats.

varadero
12-08-2010, 06:48 AM
Could be a "bumper sticker thing"

S.V. Airlie
12-08-2010, 07:26 AM
Senator Kerry leads the senate pack of course he married a Heinz

Nicholas Scheuer
12-08-2010, 08:38 AM
Who do you think fist gave the Obama Campaign "traction"? Way back when he was in the Illinois Statehouse, people saw real talent, and did something about it with their money instead of theor mouths.

S.V. Airlie
12-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Kerry of course.

S.V. Airlie
12-08-2010, 09:18 AM
Well two and possible 3 either inherited it or married it Lautenberg and Feinstein I'm not sure. Warner well he was in the business with family.

paul oman
12-08-2010, 11:04 AM
you could start with obama - he's rich (and you can bet all his friends are too)

certainly there are lots of rich democrats that wanted the bush tax breaks extended but it would be PC incorrect for them to say so. Still, you know they worked quietly in the background pushing for their tax breaks!

S.V. Airlie
12-08-2010, 11:09 AM
you could start with obama - he's rich (and you can bet all his friends are too)

certainly there are lots of rich democrats that wanted the bush tax breaks extended but it would be PC incorrect for them to say so. Still, you know they worked quietly in the background pushing for their tax breaks!

God how dare you pick on Obama. I'm waiting for you to criticized and banned for saying such things about Obama.

If I had said that...LOL

TimH
12-08-2010, 11:15 AM
The democrats understand that in order for a "consumer" economy to work money has to be distributed outside the hands of a select few.

S.V. Airlie
12-08-2010, 11:24 AM
The senate boasts that 60 out of one hundred have law degrees. None from Columbia though. So take it from there.

How about some economic folks in the senate. A few more may help. 14% have an economics or related degree. 6.7& have an actually have degrees in economics.

So leave it to the lawyers to decide what should be done

pefjr
12-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Are there any dimos with degrees?

S.V. Airlie
12-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Are there any dimos with degrees?

It didn't break down by party but 60% is sixty percent.

Of course the dems will come out and say Bush had an MBA as an excuse.

pefjr
12-08-2010, 12:01 PM
The democrats understand that in order for a "consumer" economy to work money has to be distributed outside the hands of a select few."A zebra does not change it's spots," Al Gore

S.V. Airlie
12-08-2010, 12:06 PM
"A zebra does not change it's spots," Al Gore

But a politician does when he needs to.

Canoeyawl
12-08-2010, 12:45 PM
"Rich" or wealth is not about money.
Many of us here have great wealth, some never will.

pefjr
12-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Many of us here have great wealth, some never will.Ahh.. but the Democrats do not recognize this such wealth, for this kind of wealth can not be stolen.

TimH
12-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Ahh.. but the Democrats do not recognize this such wealth, for this kind of wealth can not be stolen.

Is someone trying to steal your wealth there Bud?

Canoeyawl
12-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Ahh.. this kind of wealth can not be stolen.

Exactly - Some have it, and some don't.

And certain others first thought would be how to steal it.

S.V. Airlie
12-08-2010, 01:19 PM
I'm sorry politicians will find a way. There is a majority of lawyers out there. What do you think of the estate tax?

Canoeyawl
12-08-2010, 01:22 PM
What do you think of the estate tax?

I think that's is what trust funds are for...

S.V. Airlie
12-08-2010, 01:25 PM
It's more than just money as in trust funds... as mentioned above.. How about family stuff passed down from generation. Been in the family for 200 300 years. Those are taxable. What about apiece of land which may have been acquired 50 years ago. The value goes into the kitty.

pefjr
12-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Is someone trying to steal your wealth there Bud?Impossible

SMARTINSEN
12-08-2010, 01:29 PM
live long and prosper

Spock was a Democrat?

S.V. Airlie
12-08-2010, 01:32 PM
I knew this woman who had to appraise everything in the house for the estate tax on her husband. She called in a private appraiser who went through the house and appraised the stuff that was there. The appraiser supposedly chosen by the IRS or some other agency came in and conveniently put a "0" on every item valued.

Canoeyawl
12-08-2010, 01:56 PM
You knew this woman eh?

Suppose a Husband and Wife have a joint net worth of $7 million. Husband dies first, leaving everything to Wife.
Estate tax owed: zero, because of the marital deduction.

link (http://www.willsandprobate.com/FAQ/estate-tax.htm)

S.V. Airlie
12-08-2010, 02:00 PM
You knew this woman eh?

Suppose a Husband and Wife have a joint net worth of $7 million. Husband dies first, leaving everything to Wife.
Estate tax owed: zero, because of the marital deduction.

link (http://www.willsandprobate.com/FAQ/estate-tax.htm) Her children were involved. not that it matters/His wife did not get everything.

ccmanuals
12-08-2010, 03:40 PM

88% of sex crimes in the US are Republicans. (see, anyone can make stuff up, it's easy). :)

Phillip Allen
12-08-2010, 03:44 PM
The democrats understand that in order for a "consumer" economy to work money has to be distributed outside the hands of a select few.

so then, it's just a matter of which few are selected?

S.V. Airlie
12-08-2010, 03:45 PM
88% of sex crimes in the US are Republicans. (see, anyone can make stuff up, it's easy). :)

Well since you stated 88% were republicans, you won't hear a peep. You are safe at home plate

Phillip Allen
12-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Many of us here have great wealth, some never will.

what a clever trick...let's redefine the question in order to hide the answer

Concordia 33
12-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Don't forget George Soros!

Tall Boy
12-08-2010, 04:35 PM

Ok, OK, so I left out a part of the study, If you factor in convictions, it drops to 64%

Basir
12-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Mr. Buffett certainly backed Obama, and is said to have a dime or two.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/21/warren-buffett-paying-more-taxes_n_786516.html

Tom Montgomery
12-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Isn't Ted Turner a Democrat. Steve Jobs? Bill Gates?

Bill Gates' father, just a year ago, was involved in a very public campaign to reinstate the inheritance tax to Clinton era levels (that's the "death tax" to those of you in Arkansas).

What a silly question.

Phillip Allen
12-08-2010, 06:54 PM
I'm trying to recall if I've ever heard Tom refer to Al Gore as rich?

TimH
12-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Isn't Ted Turner a Democrat. Steve Jobs? Bill Gates?

Bill Gates' father, just a year ago, was involved in a very public campaign to reinstate the inheritance tax to Clinton era levels (that's the "death tax" to those of you in Arkansas).

What a silly question.

Bill Gates Sr. has long advocated higher taxes on the wealthy. As the father of the nation’s richest man (depending on the day), Mr. Gates Sr. has been an impassioned and high-profile voice on the issue of taxation and wealth, including his recent comments here (http://blogs.wsj.com/wealth/2009/12/17/do-the-rich-owe-america-for-their-fortunes/tab/article/)about the estate tax.
Now he is stirring things up in his home state of Washington by calling for higher taxes on those earning $200,000 or more. The state is one of the few in the country that doesn’t collect income taxes from residents.
Mr. Gates is lobbying for the generically named “Initiative 1077 (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011662727_apwaincometax2ndld.html)” that would create two tax brackets. The first tax rate would be 5% of the portion of joint income that exceeds $400,000, or $200,000 for individuals. The tax rate would increase to 9% on the portion of income that exceeds $1 million for couples or $500,000 for individuals.
Mr. Gates says the current tax system is unfair and doesn’t support necessary government programs. To mitigate the impacts on the middle-class and businesses, the measure also would include some tax breaks for businesses and a reduction in property taxes.
Opponents say it will chase away the wealthy and businesses. Others say it is yet another tax that will start with the wealthy but morph into a tax on everyone to fund a bloated government.
And they say it is easy for Mr. Gates to ask for higher taxes, since he is set for life–given his son and all–regardless of his tax rate.
Still, the announcement–and Mr. Gates Sr.’s involvement–will set up a dramatic fight in November. They need to get 240,000 signatures by July 2 in order to get the proposal on the ballot.
Would you sign?

- http://blogs.wsj.com/wealth/2010/04/22/bill-gatess-dad-wants-to-tax-the-rich-again/

It failed. His explanation - people are too afraid to confront the rich and powerful. A sad state of affairs.

Tom Montgomery
12-08-2010, 08:50 PM

Nope. Full marks for trying, however.

Ian McColgin
12-08-2010, 09:16 PM
There was plenty of chatter on the Bilge about Gore's wealth, especially in terms of his electric light bill. But the righties forget what they wrote just as surely as they forget the lessons of history. They remember preceived slights for generations, but learn nothing.

pefjr
12-08-2010, 09:35 PM
people are too afraid to confront the rich and powerful. Yeah, punish the successful and reward the incompetent. that oughta work good.

Glen Longino
12-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Yeah, punish the successful and reward the incompetent. that oughta work good.

Straight out of the Rush Limbaugh School Of Economic BS!
I'm ashamed of you, Bud...ashamed!

pefjr
12-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Straight out of the Rush Limbaugh School Of Economic BS!
I'm ashamed of you, Bud...ashamed! You giving away horses Tx.? Boats?. What are donating to TimH's Sermons on stealing from the savings of the hard working generation?

Glen Longino
12-08-2010, 10:09 PM
You giving away horses Tx.? Boats?. What are donating to TimH's Sermons on stealing from the savings of the hard working generation?

What makes you think wealthy people work harder than less wealthy people?

Glen Longino
12-08-2010, 10:36 PM
I am?;)

pefjr
12-08-2010, 11:33 PM
What makes you think wealthy people work harder than less wealthy people?I don't think that and did not say that. I do say that my generation has worked harder than the younger generations. Even you can see that. The Standard of Living says that.

TimH
12-08-2010, 11:37 PM
Where are we supposed to be looking?

BETTY-B
12-08-2010, 11:45 PM
I don't think that and did not say that. I do say that my generation has worked harder than the younger generations. Even you can see that. The Standard of Living says that.

Wipe your mouth, Bud. Your inner idiot is leaking. Again.

pefjr
12-09-2010, 12:23 AM
The neighborhood just went down a notch and it's my bedtime anyway. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Glen Longino
12-09-2010, 12:28 AM
..."Your inner idiot is leaking."

:D:D:D LMAO
Too danged funny!

BETTY-B
12-09-2010, 02:23 AM
And back up a notch! Thanks, Glen!:D

ljb5
12-09-2010, 03:24 AM

We should all go around counting each other's money?

================================================== ===============================

What a silly thread. Were you truly ignorant of Warren Buffet and Bill Gate's comments?

Have you never heard of the Kennedy family? John Kerry? Herb Kohl? John Edwards?

Are you quite stupid, or just itching for a fight?

And now that the your basic premise has been destroyed, will it change your perception at all... or will you just soldier on diligently, unpersuaded by the great reality around you?

Phillip Allen
12-09-2010, 08:16 AM
We should all go around counting each other's money?

================================================== ===============================

What a silly thread. Were you truly ignorant of Warren Buffet and Bill Gate's comments?

Have you never heard of the Kennedy family? John Kerry? Herb Kohl? John Edwards?

Are you quite stupid, or just itching for a fight?

And now that the your basic premise has been destroyed, will it change your perception at all... or will you just soldier on diligently, unpersuaded by the great reality around you?

classic lj

S.V. Airlie
12-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Well Kerry married a rich widow..Heinz family and Kennedy well there is booze running etc. Some made their money the hard way.

Phillip Allen
12-09-2010, 08:25 AM
Well someone has not taken into Heinz, booze running etc. Some made their money the hard way.

a straight line I shall decline...

S.V. Airlie
12-09-2010, 08:42 AM
George Soros? Gyory is of mixed Hungarian-American heritage and yes he is wealthy or rich depending on you way of looking at things.

Phillip Allen
12-09-2010, 08:45 AM
He's a rich American Democrat. He probably doesn't go to Walmart.

so? he sends his servants instead?

S.V. Airlie
12-09-2010, 08:46 AM
He's a rich American Democrat. He probably doesn't go to Walmart.

Hell he probably doesn't do his own shopping.

And while you are here dissing Walmart I hope you aren't eating a nestle's chocolate bar. That would be hypocritical.

Phillip Allen
12-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Captain Obvious strikes again!

S.V. Airlie
12-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Well it's true Phillip... I posted the worst offenders and yup Nestle's USA was one.

pefjr
12-09-2010, 09:06 AM
..."Your inner idiot is leaking."

:D:D:D LMAO
Too danged funny!Oh the irony!!!!

Dan McCosh
12-09-2010, 09:15 AM
How do you miss Nancy Pelosi?

S.V. Airlie
12-09-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm trying to recall if I've ever heard Tom refer to Al Gore as rich? He is a millionaire does that count?

Maybe he is just wealthy...

Phillip Allen
12-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Well it's true Phillip... I posted the worst offenders and yup Nestle's USA was one.

I believe that is the same company that gave away free baby formula in India until all the nursing mothers dired up then took away the free stuff and sold formula after that...I wonder who sat in the office and thought that one up?

S.V. Airlie
12-09-2010, 10:20 AM
I know there was a problem with formula. I think one situation was in China. I think the head honcho was convicted and hanged. Indian case don't know.. But while everyone complains about walmart It is correct to do so but..At the same time, these same people should boycott all companies that infringe on human rights unless they want to sound like hypocrites.

ljb5
12-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Phillip, you're working hard to back pedal.

Figures.

What a stupid thread.

Milo Christensen
12-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Phillip, you're working hard to back pedal.

Figures.

What a stupid thread.

Can I leave this one in your capable hands? There's a lot to do on so many other threads this morning. Ta ever so!

Phillip Allen
12-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Can I leave this one in your capable hands? There's a lot to do on so many other threads this morning. Ta ever so!

What's he talking about, Milo?

Phillip Allen
12-09-2010, 10:29 AM
A thought occured...Is lj rich?

S.V. Airlie
12-09-2010, 10:31 AM

Tag team at work.

TimH
12-09-2010, 11:18 AM
or will you just soldier on diligently, unpersuaded by the great reality around you?

Thats good.

pefjr
12-09-2010, 11:29 AM
will you just soldier on diligently, unpersuaded by the great reality around you?the Great Reality is you have been caught by an Arkansas fly fisherman. Relax, he will probably release you so we all have a chance to catch you again. Those flys look so real don't they?

Pugwash
12-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Tag team at work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-FPimCmbX8

(Obama at 1:01.)

:d

TimH
12-09-2010, 12:42 PM
It seems to be more a case of being in the right place at the right time, and more a matter of working smarter than working harder. We came out of WWII looking good, all the ducks lined up. Our infrastructure untouched, everyone else's shattered. Combined with a strong military, cheap oil and access to the worlds resources for pretty much the price we dictated, and no competition, it would have been hard to avoid prosperity. Times have changed.

Personally I think it has gotten more difficult for each generation that followed. Back then it was pretty easy to make it on a high school education. These days a 4yr degree is not enough. I see a lot of jobs asking for a masters.

Think about what it would be like to be trying to find your first job these days compared to the 60's and 70's.

What percentage of ones income did a house cost back then? Now?

Consider that back then most households got by on one income. These days its hard to make it with two incomes.

Pefjr doesnt realize that the days of secure jobs with good wages and benefits that predominated when he was younger have given way to a more cost-conscious and globally-competitive workplace marked by stagnant real wages, cutbacks to health benefits and retirement plans, and constant threats of having jobs outsourced abroad.

It must have been nice working in America before the "great leveling".

S.V. Airlie
12-09-2010, 12:51 PM
As lj is on my ignore list of one, I can only respond to clips posted by someone else. I'm so glad I will have the democrats ready and willing to save me.

BETTY-B
12-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Good points, Tim. My great uncle was the manager of a movie theater in the U-district in Seattle from the 30's through the 50's. He got a new Buick every single year.

After taking care of my elderly disabled mothers needs this morning, this college educated, massive student loan owing, non hard working guy is off to continue hand digging and underpinning a one hundred year old house. If I'm lucky, I might be able to afford used tires for my 75 Ford F-250 this month. But I kinda doubt it.

Garret
12-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Good points, Tim. My great uncle was the manager of a movie theater in the U-district in Seattle from the 30's through the 50's. He got a new Buick every single year.

After taking care of my elderly disabled mothers needs this morning, this college educated, massive student loan owing, non hard working guy is off to continue hand digging and underpinning a one hundred year old house. If I'm lucky, I might be able to afford used tires for my 75 Ford F-250 this month. But I kinda doubt it.

Yeah, but you've got a fancy new shovel, so it's no where near as hard as it was for the older guys....... What a whiner :p:p

pefjr
12-09-2010, 01:30 PM
I had a shovel. In Nam, they gave me a folding shovel, and a pack to carry it in.

BETTY-B
12-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Yeah, but you've got a fancy new shovel, so it's no where near as hard as it was for the older guys....... What a whiner :p:p

That's actually funny because just yesterday I was noticing how my favorite shovel is all worn down. Which sucks because the new shovels from China arnt near as good.

Garret
12-09-2010, 01:49 PM
That's actually funny because just yesterday I was noticing how my favorite shovel is all worn down. Which sucks because the new shovels from China arnt near as good.

Well - someone from "that" generation would make a piece of steel (after hand digging the ore of course) & make a new one & then cut down an ash tree with an axe & whittle a new handle for it. :cool:

pefjr
12-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Well - someone from "that" generation would make a piece of steel (after hand digging the ore of course) & make a new one & then cut down an ash tree with an axe & whittle a new handle for it. :cool:hickory

jbelow
12-09-2010, 02:37 PM
What makes you think wealthy people work harder than less wealthy people?

Wealthy people work smarter. Glen , get with the program.

Ian McColgin
12-09-2010, 02:48 PM
If jbelow is so infatuated with wealthy folk, then he ought to join the Democrats. At least that's the current claim coming from WSJ and Limbaugh and Beck that it's the D's who favor the rich and the R's are the party of the common man.

And in the enterpernurerial spirit, I have a bridge to Nantucket for you.

jbelow
12-09-2010, 03:08 PM
If jbelow is so infatuated with wealthy folk, then he ought to join the Democrats. At least that's the current claim coming from WSJ and Limbaugh and Beck that it's the D's who favor the rich and the R's are the party of the common man.

And in the enterpernurerial spirit, I have a bridge to Nantucket for you.

Ian , it is easy to be infatuated with successful people. Economic or otherwise. D's and R's can only take away.

Garret
12-09-2010, 03:12 PM
hickory

Well... Yeah - if any grew withing 300 miles of here. Ash we've got.

paul oman
12-09-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm sure many of those rich democrats want those 'tax breaks for the rich' extended to them too. They just cannot come out and say it publicly, but looks like they made their desires clear to the pres.... Bottom line - dem or republican they all look out after their own butts first and foremost. Humans are all very much alike.

Cuyahoga Chuck
12-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Ian , it is easy to be infatuated with successful people. Economic or otherwise. D's and R's can only take away.

Could Tom Delay be considered successful? In a TEXAS sort of way, of course.

TimH
12-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Lots of poor republicans. And they dont know they are poor. Its a strange phenomenon.

Pugwash
12-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Are there any poor republicans?

I kinda wonder what's the differences between rich democrat and poor republican

http://www.livescience.com/culture/reading-emotion-socioeconomic-status-101116.html

I think the telling point is that it is all about perception and not necessarily actual "wealth".

Phillip Allen
12-09-2010, 08:09 PM
well, are all "rich fat cats" Republicans then?

pefjr
12-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Could Tom Delay be considered successful? In a TEXAS sort of way, of course. "I AM the federal government." –Tom DeLay, to the owner of Ruth's Chris Steak House, after being told to put out his cigar because of federal government regulations banning smoking in the building, May 14, 2003

ljb5
12-09-2010, 10:22 PM
A thought occured...Is lj rich?

I am not comfortable with how much time and energy you expend thinking about me.

It's none of your damn business. You would never ask a person this question in real life, why do it here?

Your obsession with me is inappropriate, impolite and just plain creepy!

Please get yourself under control.

oznabrag
12-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Wipe your mouth, Bud. Your inner idiot is leaking. Again.

Heh, heh, heh...1245

jbelow
12-10-2010, 12:03 AM
Could Tom Delay be considered successful? In a TEXAS sort of way, of course.

Tom Delay is a success and a failure. He does need to pay restitution for his failure. That is the TEXAS way.

Phillip Allen
12-10-2010, 12:09 AM
I am not comfortable with how much time and energy you expend thinking about me.

It's none of your damn business. You would never ask a person this question in real life, why do it here?

Your obsession with me is inappropriate, impolite and just plain creepy!

Please get yourself under control.
Perhaps you wouldn't ask some questions but you certainly ask others..."are you an idiot" just as a for instance...I doubt anyone would ever talk to me face to face the way you do on this forum...

ljb5
12-10-2010, 01:37 AM
Perhaps you wouldn't ask some questions but you certainly ask others..."are you an idiot" ...

Well, in all fairness, I've never met someone face to face who displays their ignorance so freely. I always give you an opportunity to prove me wrong. So far, not so good.

============================================

Seriously, Phillip, you're a 62 year-old manual laborer. Are you truly upset about a possible slight increase in the highest marginal tax bracket?

I'm not in the same league as Warren Buffet or Bill Gates Sr. or Al Gore or John Kerry or Herb Kohl.... but when guys like that say their taxes should be higher for a more equitable society, is it really in your best interest to argue with them?

It's 3:30pm in Tokyo. I'm working. Getting paid. You're awake after midnight, fretting over how much money other people have.