PDA

View Full Version : question to the old guys

Phillip Allen
12-07-2010, 05:16 PM
I see where E. Edwards has died of cancer. Once again, I wonder how I"ve made this far (62) and was wondering about you REALLY old farts...do you find yourself wondering how you made till now?

S.V. Airlie
12-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Pills lots of pills.

Phillip Allen
12-07-2010, 05:19 PM
me too...I hate it

skuthorp
12-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Is rising 68 "really old"? For me it's genetics, luck and some caution in latter years. Oh yes, and marrying the woman I did, she has been very good for me.

S/V Laura Ellen
12-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Early detection, surgery and chemotherapy, I'm planning to make it to 62 so I can collect some of my pension.

chiefypoo
12-07-2010, 05:29 PM
pills and keeping busy with boats,carving, haveing a garden and grafting and messing with dwarf fruit trees. Tomorrow I have our 55 year marrige cellerbration. She still calls me darling! once in a while. I got a good one

Paul Pless
12-07-2010, 05:32 PM
do you find yourself wondering how you made till now?Dude, I'm only 39 and wonder how I've managed this long.:D

Phillip Allen
12-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Dude, I'm only 39 and wonder how I've managed this long.:D

gosh, Paul...I thought you was in your late forties...

Peerie Maa
12-07-2010, 05:34 PM
I see where E. Edwards has died of cancer. Once again, I wonder how I"ve made this far (62) and was wondering about you REALLY old farts...do you find yourself wondering how you made till now?

Hey I like you. I'm 60 and don't qualify by your criteria. One way to do it is to stay away from doctors. A neighbour was asked by his GP how he stayed so fit. " I stay out of doctors surgeries, the waiting rooms are full of people with all sorts of illnesses crawling all over them". Seems to have worked for me too.

Shang
12-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Choose your ancestors carefully,
and get lots of exercise (they can't bury you if you're still moving).

Bobby of Tulsa
12-07-2010, 05:44 PM
All thirty somethings think that. When you get sixyty some thing you will see how silly you were. :):)

bobbys
12-07-2010, 05:53 PM
My knees and back told me yesterday they were to old at 57 to be roofing but the wife is convinced im a young buck and still can climb the teepees every day and buy her trinkets and beads and cloth and mirrors and soap from French traders!.

Cannot complain though i stole her from the tribe of Cohen.

Phillip Allen
12-07-2010, 06:01 PM
My knees and back told me yesterday they were to old at 57 to be roofing but the wife is convinced im a young buck and still can climb the teepees every day and buy her trinkets and beads and cloth and mirrors and soap from French traders!.

Cannot complain though i stole her from the tribe of Cohen.

all them women go for the foofaraw...you could lodge-pole her but the next would be the same

bobbys
12-07-2010, 06:04 PM
all them women go for the foofaraw...you could loge-pole her but the next would be the same.

I suppose she could use my bar of LAVA soap in the creek.

PhaseLockedLoop
12-07-2010, 06:09 PM
...do you find yourself wondering how you made till now?

I don't really wonder, but I sure am suprised. As Pee Wee Russell said: if I knew I'd get this old, I'd have taken better care of myself.

MiddleAgesMan
12-07-2010, 06:45 PM
...As long as you have projects undone, you won't die.

My whole life has been a project so maybe I'll live forever in spite of my cancer. It was discovered in advanced stage in late 2005 and I'm still around, working on projects! :)

S/V Laura Ellen
12-07-2010, 06:46 PM
As long as you have projects undone, you won't die.

If that's true... I'm going to live forever.

Hwyl
12-07-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm lying about my age on the WBF, made me feel 15 years younger

Phillip Allen
12-07-2010, 06:55 PM
I'm lying about my age on the WBF, made me feel 15 years younger

no one else bought it, Mathusla :)

Tristan
12-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Was 77 Dec 2. Have had lifelong asthma. Have had a couple kinds of cancer (prostate and colon), three major surgeries over the past 16 years (radical prostatectomy, colon cancer, a piece of the colon removed, another piece of the colon removed for diverticulitis). I exercise (yoga, Chi Kung, T'ai Chi, some resistance training with free weights, and walking). Take a large variety of herbal stuff, some vitamins, Vit. D, fish oil, selenium, curcumin, quercetin (if interested write and I'll give you the list). I believe the herbal stuff (above) that I take helps a lot to keep me going. I also have a history of heavy duty weight training and sandlot football till age 35, serious jogging 25 miles per week) from age 40 to 50, serious karate from age 48 to 56, and the yoga, etc. 'till present. Also eat a diet heavy on veggies, low on meat. Aside from the surgeries I really try to stay away from doctors. The only prescription meds I take are for asthma and a pill and an every six month implant to keep the prostate cancer at bay. I have the world's greatest wife and some (5) great kids age from 20 to 52. That helps a lot. I have two great Welsh Terriers that keep me busy, That helps a lot. I try to meditate daily, try not to let stuff hassle me. To sum it up, exercise as much as you can, eat a high fiber, high vegetable diet, take a good mix of vitamins and herbal stuff, try to avoid stress and embrace goodness. Get a copy of "Anticancer, a New Way of LIfe by David Servan-Schreiber. His recommendations for exercise and diet fit anyone. As you can see, with my life style sh#t has happened to me but I've been able to bounce back. Cheers

carlg
12-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Genes. I'm 71; my father passed away at 93 (still playing golf at 90) two days after he had no taste for his evening Martini. My mother pased away later at 88. I figure I'm good for a few more years.

Shang
12-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Genes. I'm 71; my father passed away at 93 (still playing golf at 90) two days after he had no taste for his evening Martini. My mother pased away later at 88. I figure I'm good for a few more years.

Similar.
You and I were born the year the Nazis invaded Poland, and the year of the first New York World's Fair.
My father wanted to make it to 100... he was real pissed-off when he didn't quite make it.

Shang
12-07-2010, 10:26 PM
I still train with free weights. Not as much weight as in years gone by, but just as regularly. I'm also training for a push-up contest I foolishly challenged some young twerp to. I still do T'ai Chi, but have dropped out of Judo and Karate. In the last year I've advanced to the #2 Captains of Crush Grippers http://ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Main/captainsofcrush.html . And I am working to perfect a four-punch combination on the heavy bag.

I was trying to goad some of us here into a "rowing across the Atlantic" project for those of us who own rowing machines, but didn't get any takers. At last count I was out of Boston Harbor, heading toward Harlech, Wales.

Glen Longino
12-07-2010, 10:39 PM
I had some close calls in my younger days and missed early death by fractions of seconds a few times.
A bullet singing past my ear rather than into my head was luck, IMO, not the Grace Of God.
It's obvious to me that I was very lucky.
By thirty, I had begun to make wiser career choices and to persue longevity rather than heroic death.;)
Mid-sixties I began blood pressure medication which has enabled me to do whatever I want.
I'm hoping for 10-12 more good years before I bite the dust.

paladin
12-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Just trying to make it thru Christmas......am totally worn out.

MiddleAgesMan
12-07-2010, 10:44 PM
I hope you get those years, Glen-who-is-older-than-moi! :)

Glen Longino
12-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Just trying to make it thru Christmas......am totally worn out.

Whew! I ain't too old to cry!
Best to you, Chuck!

pefjr
12-07-2010, 10:55 PM
You have to be able to laugh. Laughter is the best medicine. Diet , lots of exercise, and fate. Looking back, I coulda and maybe shoulda bit the dust quite a few times but lady luck said no, it ain't your time yet. She died of cancer and not much she could do. I just got a call yesterday, a good friend died suddenly at 61. When you get in your 60's, friends and relatives start dying all around you. But, I have had a good life, better than most. It's all gravy now.

Glen Longino
12-07-2010, 11:19 PM
You have to be able to laugh. Laughter is the best medicine. Diet , lots of exercise, and fate. Looking back, I coulda and maybe shoulda bit the dust quite a few times but lady luck said no, it ain't your time yet. She died of cancer and not much she could do. I just got a call yesterday, a good friend died suddenly at 61. When you get in your 60's, friends and relatives start dying all around you. But, I have had a good life, better than most. It's all gravy now.

Good points, Bud.
My oldest friends are falling like flies around me.
It ain't easy watching, is it?
Best to you!

JBreeze
12-07-2010, 11:21 PM
A daily dose of the lovely and talented Lisa Fisher might work....she takes center stage at 2:30:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCrbziy20aU&feature=related

If Keith Richards can keep trucking, so can I:D

Stiletto
12-07-2010, 11:22 PM
I learned last weekend that an old friend has cancer of the peritoneum. Incurable apparently. He was as fit as a buck rat and played competitive tennis regularly. Around age 69 and now zonked out on morphine fulltime. Bugger!

Ed Harrow
12-07-2010, 11:36 PM
... As long as you have projects undone, you won't die.

Damn, given that Mum is 97, and her best childhood friend is 98 (or is it 99, she just had a birthday) looks like we're going to have to put up with this guy for a bit. :p

On a semi serious note, I heard today of a study involving asprin, the mystery drug. Seems an aspirin a day, hell just read it:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/210592.php

pefjr
12-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Good points, Bud.
My oldest friends are falling like flies around me.
It ain't easy watching, is it?
Best to you!You probably remember Dandy Don Meredith. I loved Monday Night Football with him in the booth. I can hear him now, "Turn out the lights the Party's Over. 72 and out.

Phillip Allen
12-07-2010, 11:47 PM
You probably remember Dandy Don Meredith. I loved Monday Night Football with him in the booth. I can hear him now, "Turn out the lights the Party's Over. 72 and out.

I think it was Cosell(sp) that ran him off

Glen Longino
12-07-2010, 11:52 PM
"an aspirin a day"
Yep, that's part of my drug regimen these days...one low dose aspirin a day.
It reduces the risk of blood clots and strokes.
It also makes you bleed like a stuck hog with a minor skin tear.
Yesterday I hit my left wrist with a tree limb and tore the skin.
In a few minutes I noticed blood running down my hand and dripping off my fingers from a one inch scrape.

Glen Longino
12-07-2010, 11:58 PM
You probably remember Dandy Don Meredith. I loved Monday Night Football with him in the booth. I can hear him now, "Turn out the lights the Party's Over. 72 and out.

Don was a treat!
He was about the best player to come out of SMU in Dallas, although there were others.

Allison
12-08-2010, 12:14 AM
Hi guys, I'm going to stick my nose in here but not because I'm a guy (though apparently a few members are convinced otherwise). Nor because I'm old (At least I'm not admitting that!)

But with a story.

Years ago I saw an interview with a French woman who was 119 and the oldest person in the world at the time, she was still reasonably active and had all her wits, drank wine every day but things were catching up to her.
The reporter asked her what her secret was, she rattled off a few things but then stopped and said,
"The most important thing is attitude, you've got to have a laugh every day"

The reporter asked her what she found funny with her body and her world steadily decaying. The old lady listed family and friends but then grinned and said.
"When I can think of nothing else to laugh about I think of the lawyer that bought my apartment in Paris"
The reporter asked how that was funny. The old lady explained that the lawyer had really wanted her big old apartment and pestered her for years, she finally relented when he agreed to pay her a lump sum and an annual payment every year till she died. She stopped and laughed really hard then continued.
"That was when I was 70 and he was 60! His grandchildren are still paying me for that apartment and he never made it to 65!":D

Phillip Allen
12-08-2010, 12:16 AM
I think I remember that...now I'm laughing

The549
12-08-2010, 12:20 AM
i think the key is to at least try to stay alive (unlike Mr. Coffin in Mowat's book). i can't believe i made it into my mid 20's; now i have my sights set squarely all the way to my late 20s.

stevebaby
12-08-2010, 12:24 AM
"an aspirin a day"
Yep, that's part of my drug regimen these days...one low dose aspirin a day.
It reduces the risk of blood clots and strokes.
It also makes you bleed like a stuck hog with a minor skin tear.
Yesterday I hit my left wrist with a tree limb and tore the skin.
In a few minutes I noticed blood running down my hand and dripping off my fingers from a one inch scrape.Glen,the latest research on aspirin indicates that it is also very effective at preventing a number of cancers.Aspirin is truly a remarkable drug.

Phillip Allen
12-08-2010, 12:24 AM
i think the key is to at least try to stay alive (unlike Mr. Coffin in Mowat's book). i can't believe i made it into my mid 20's; now i have my sights set squarely all the way to my late 20s.

Oh, gad...

Glen Longino
12-08-2010, 12:25 AM
Nice story, Allison!:)
Hey, I only thought you were a gent before I was told otherwise.;)

Glen Longino
12-08-2010, 12:27 AM
Glen,the latest research on aspirin indicates that it is also very effective at preventing a number of cancers.Aspirin is truly a remarkable drug.

I didn't know that, Steve.
Good news!

ahp
12-08-2010, 12:17 PM
I am 78, and good for a few more. I am taking only one prescription drug now, and I hope it is temporary. Usually I don't take any. I have not smoked since 1968, I am a moderate drinker, excersize some, and I have always been skinny. My family is long lived also. Genes help.

Glen Longino
12-08-2010, 01:28 PM
I hope you get those years, Glen-who-is-older-than-moi! :)

Thank you...
I hope you get some more years too!

htom
12-08-2010, 01:55 PM
I never expected to get to my sixties, and without great fortune and medical care wouldn't have. I do tai chi chuan, nordic walking, a little running, free weights, Concept 2, trying to get a social tango dance class started. Lots of veggies, nuts, fruit, fish, turkey, little (but some) red meat. Sleep 6-8 hours a night (recently a great deal more, including a long afternoon nap.) Meditate, study various things, read voraciously about everything. Laugh as much as I can, share as many hugs as I can (hugs are a vastly under-rated medicine.) Listen to others' painful stories, and show them I love them by properly responding.

Participate in the Wooden Boat Forum (and a few others.)

Jim Bow
12-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Is rising 68 "really old"? For me it's genetics, luck and some caution in latter years. Oh yes, and marrying the woman I did, she has been very good for me.

I'm 64 otherwise, my response is the same as skuthorp's

paladin
12-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Superglue is the miracle drug....I've been glued back together by surgeons on 4 continents.

Rational Root
12-08-2010, 02:54 PM

You can sing that one, I know the music.

I'm 40, I've broke my neck, my ankle, survived 5 years of skydiving, only one reserve ride, lost count of how many times I've come to a halt in a different place to my motorbike, and had a close call scuba diving.

As my father says, "son, if you're going to be stupid, you'd better be tough"

I know when I'm "old" arthritis is going to remind me of my many adventures, but that's the price for a life spent far away from the TV.

There's not much of it I'd change.

TomF
12-08-2010, 03:12 PM
You can sing that one, I know the music.

I'm 40, I've broke my neck, my ankle, survived 5 years of skydiving, only one reserve ride, lost count of how many times I've come to a halt in a different place to my motorbike, and had a close call scuba diving.

As my father says, "son, if you're going to be stupid, you'd better be tough"...Mark Rippetoe, a strength coach who's now over 50 and is rather prominent in some minute corners of the internet once wrote a great article about Masters' level athletics called Training for the Aged. His best line IMO was "Injuries are the price we pay for the thrill of not having sat around on our @sses."

paladin
12-08-2010, 03:18 PM

Didja know that when your air shuts off at 200+ feet that you still have enough to get topsides?

pefjr
12-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Don't underestimate the bicycle. Santa Clause brought me my first bicycle at 6 and I have never been without one except temporarily just after one was stolen. I am one of the few tennis players in my crowd that has not had bad knee problems even after all the running I have done. I attribute that to riding a bicycle my whole life. I currently own 3, one for the road, one for the mountians, one collector.

John Smith
12-08-2010, 07:32 PM

I don't wonder that so much as I do about how long I wish to continue living. Fact is the list of people that I outlive grows at a sobering rate, and I have a variety of health issues which are not so bad now, but will get progressively worse. I see things friends and family went through or are going through, and I don't want to go through all that. There's a difference between "living" and "being alive".

I think about my "bucket list" and realize I don't have one. Not that I've done all the things I had wanted to do, but I no longer have a desire to do those I failed to get around to.

Guess we all wonder how our health will hold out. Also, how our money will hold out. The two are connected.

John Smith
12-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Pills lots of pills.
Remember the old folks in the Our Gang comedies, and all the pills they took. That is now me.

John Smith
12-08-2010, 07:38 PM

I remember the night the camera caught a fan giving them the finger. Meredith just said, "He's telling them we're number one."

Bobby of Tulsa
12-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Sometimes I wish I hadn't.

Glen Longino
12-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Sometimes I wish I hadn't.

You've probably hung on this long for other people, Bobby.
You're a Humanitarian!
My best to you, amigo!

pefjr
12-08-2010, 08:48 PM
I remember the night the camera caught a fan giving them the finger. Meredith just said, "He's telling them we're number one.":d:dDandy Don kept the support staff, Cameramen and Gifford rolling all night. Howard Cosell wouldn't laugh, If Don could get a small smile out Cosell, he figured he had won. Do you remember Alex Karras? Another dry wit funny guy. One night Alex was introducing the Oakland Raider players one by one with their respective Schools. When he got to Otis Sistrunk, he introduced him from the University of Mars. the whole place cracked up, I was laughing for a week. Today, he might get fired for that, but back then it just made Otis the most famous Raider. He loved the attention he got.

Bobby of Tulsa
12-08-2010, 09:33 PM
You've probably hung on this long for other people, Bobby.
You're a Humanitarian!
My best to you, amigo!
Thank you Glen, That means a lot to me.

J. Dillon
12-08-2010, 09:51 PM
At 81, I think having some one to scratch ya back contributes to longevity.:D|;)

JD

Glen Longino
12-08-2010, 09:56 PM
At 81, I think having some one to scratch ya back contributes to longevity.:D|;)

JD

You lucky ole coot!;)

Shang
12-08-2010, 10:08 PM

JD

Absolutely!
Besides, consider, you have at least nineteen Springtimes to go until you reach a hundred.
Go for it.

Oh... and after that you get talked about on the morning news:
"...And Dillon, who passed his hundredth birthday this morning, announced his plans to celebrate by solo parachute jumping onto the top spans of the 214 Thames bridges and later holding his breath while swimming the 20 tunnels under the river, says that he would like to be left alone for a few hours with his third wife Bunny..."

SchoonerRat
12-08-2010, 10:36 PM
I've always known that I'd never grow to be really old. The best I can do is to look really old. I've got a real good start!

paladin
12-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Had friend, 60 years old, retired from Army. Had wife, 40 years old liked to drink and party. After 8 p.m. you never knew where Bunny was. Bunny really liked to party........I stayed away from Bunny. Bunny came up missing. Walt was tearing the community apart looking for her. A dozen or so of us turned out looking also, at about first light, 4 a.m. one of the girs spotted Bunnies swim suit in the surf, face down obviously drunk as a skunk.....and dead as a doornail. Within 6 months Walt had a new companion, beautiful young lady we brought from Chaing Mai, absolutely nice to him, cooked anything, cleaned house, clothes, absolutely devoted to him, but he didn't want to get married. He went to states for almost a year. We helped Noi run the restaraunt, he came back not expecting to find anything, everything signed over to Noi. Everything was perfect.....6 months later they were
married. 2 years later he had heart attack and she cared fo him til the end. After 5 years she wanted to sell and move back to her home. We helped her sell the place and move to Chaing Mai.

stevebaby
12-09-2010, 12:21 AM
Don't underestimate the bicycle. Santa Clause brought me my first bicycle at 6 and I have never been without one except temporarily just after one was stolen. I am one of the few tennis players in my crowd that has not had bad knee problems even after all the running I have done. I attribute that to riding a bicycle my whole life. I currently own 3, one for the road, one for the mountians, one collector.I'm 56,with a resting heart rate of 50 bpm. Every other ex-rugby player I know has had knee problems. I don't. I've had both feet,my left leg and my back broken in a climbing fall. When arthritis started to set in in my feet,I went back to riding a bike.The orthopaedic surgeon reckons I saved myself from having to use a walking stick by doing that. No blood pressure problems and apart from the cancer,I'm fitter than most people less than half my age.
Besides all that...bikes are just fun!
How about a pic of your "collector"? :-)

Phillip Allen
12-09-2010, 01:19 AM

JD

cat-on-a-stick?

Glen Longino
12-09-2010, 01:38 AM
:D:D

The Bigfella
12-09-2010, 01:46 AM
Glen,the latest research on aspirin indicates that it is also very effective at preventing a number of cancers.Aspirin is truly a remarkable drug.

And one aspirin a day would kill me in short order.

Glen Longino
12-09-2010, 02:12 AM
And one aspirin a day would kill me in short order.

How's that, Ian?

Allison
12-09-2010, 02:46 AM
Because he has no heart:d

Glen Longino
12-09-2010, 03:00 AM
:D:D Dayum!!!!

ramillett
12-09-2010, 03:45 AM
Didja know that when your air shuts off at 200+ feet that you still have enough to get topsides?

yep and you better be blowing bubbles on the way up :)

The Bigfella
12-09-2010, 07:01 AM
How's that, Ian?

Salicylate intolerance.... I've experienced one anaphylaxis episode (ICU stuff) and many more minor attacks over the last 10 years. Guess what aspirin is.

Because he has no heart

Yawn.....

Rational Root
12-09-2010, 07:27 AM

Depends on how long you've been down, and if you have a deco chamber on a ship at the surface.
Getting to the surface may not be enough....

I got narked at about 120 feet in cold, dark water. I went up at what I thought was a nice slow pace.
I was told later that it was not nice and it was not slow.
Luckily I was only on the bottom for about 2 minutes at that point. My nitrogen loading was still pretty low.

On another day, I was on a boat, with my wife (a better diver than I am). We were on holidays, and a little rusty (we told the guide that), we were ensured it was a nice simple dive, a wreck at 20m to swim around.
When we got there the current was nuts. It took the guide 3 attempts to dive down and tie off a line to the wreck.
Up he came and told us there was no current below 10 meters. "Flip in with no air in your bcd, swim down and you'll be fine.". We passed on his kind offer, of the others who did the dive, only one found the wreck, 1 ended up with a burst ear drum, and the others simply came straight back up.

There is a line between adventurous and just plain stoopid.