PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist resumes

Concordia...41
12-07-2010, 03:55 PM
There was a thread a few days ago and I didn't get a chance to reply, but we have a blind ad running for a position - thus - even though it's a good idea, there's no way to research the position and see who's the hiring manager etc.

That being said, the ones that stand out are ones that submit a general cover email. I think the rules are the same, start with a basic - Dear Sir or Madam greeting, say where you heard about the ad, and a sentence or two about yourself and how you look forward to meeting / interviewing / speaking with someone AND put your contact information in.

ALSO make sure your name is on each page of your resume. At least from the second page on, it should say "Bob Smith - Resume, Page 2 of 5", or something. It should also be in some kind of pdf form that isn't relying on the receiver's printer for fonts and spacing. Some of the ones in Word lost some of the spacing. Either that or they were sloppy to start...

I saved a dozen that have come in, sent them to the printer at once, tossed them in my daytimer and brought them home. Yes, the pages are in order, and generally I can match fonts and see from page to page, but there's 30+ pages on my kitchen counter and this would be a real easy way to stand out in a pack. Or aggravating someone who has a stack of papers and multiple pages that start with "Education" or "Work Experience" but no name...

Also, there must be some templates available online or even through Craigslist as two have the exact same spacing and fonts - dress it up a little if you expect to be noticed.

Last also, one poor guy using what is obviously a prepared form as it is similar to one other, has a second page that starts with "insert name here..." :( Not likely to get an interview...

If I was replying to multiple Craigslist ads, I'd darn well see how my responses were printing - even if it meant starting a dummy ad just to reply and see how your resume came through. (And then delete the fake ad of course).

Don't know how you'd do that on monster.com as they charge for an ad, but a pdf file seems like it'd be more presentable. Isn't that what it's all about???

.02 cents please ;)

S.V. Airlie
12-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Concordia I would stay away from a resume/CV that goes 2 pages or more/ Well no more than two pages. Usually from what I have heard over two pages scrap heap...

carlg
12-07-2010, 09:59 PM
As someone who has sat on both sides of the desk, I'd have to say that crafting a good resume is more difficult than writing a thesis. S.V. is correct in that it should be less than two pages but more importantly, it should be direct and to the point of the advertised position. Form letters and boilerplate are immediately ignored or rejected by the hiring manager. I can sympathize with Margo. So many of the resumes that crossed my desk were inappropriate or just "junk mail".

A good resume can get you interviews regardless of your qualifications. I remember interviewing the same engineer for an open position at two different companies, years apart, because he had a great resume. Not the right fit for either job, but a great resume.

'Hope I haven't hijacked this thread.