X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Craig-Bennett
    Who?
    • Aug 1999

Steak and Kidney Pudding

This is for five greedy people or six ordinary people.

Take a good pound of stewing steak and three or four lamb's kidneys (not, under any circumstances, pig's kidneys and certainly not ox kidneys - calves' kidneys you might get away with). Brown them in a little oil; in another pan do the same with a couple of onions, a couple of stalks of celery and a couple of carrots, all diced. Transfer to a saucepan and add a half pint or so of stout; reduce this a bit, then add the meat and simmer slowly for an hour and a half. Adjust the seasoning and add worcester sauce if you like.

Meanwhile take half a pound of beef suet and a pound of self raising flour, add salt and pepper, combine them and add just enough water to make a dough; rest this for five minutes and then roll it out about half an inch thick. Butter and flour a two pound pudding basin, line it with the pastry, spoon in the filling, close the top, with a lid made from the remaining pastry, cover with greaseproof paper and foil, steam for a couple of hours or more or for preference steam for 30 minutes to let the dough rise then pressure cook for a couple of hours. if there is too much juice, call the remainder gravy.

Turn out.

Eat with hearty vegetables.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 12-07-2010, 09:21 AM. Reason: |Oh drat! - learned how to spell "beef"
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT
  • TomF
    Recalcitrant Heretic
    • Jun 2003

Re: Steak and Kidney Pudding

Can I come for dinner? None of my household are smart enough to enjoy such a dish.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Comment

• Pugwash
      Banned
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett
      Meanwhile take half a pound of bee suet and a pound of self raising flour,
      The problem with bee suet is that it's a pain to collect and for half a pound you need a lot of bees.

Comment

• Andrew Craig-Bennett
        Who?
        • Aug 1999

The purist (I have done this) asks his old fashioned butcher for a pound of fresh suet, cleans and shreds it and discards the less good bits.

The man in a hurry uses shredded suet from the supermarket.

I hope I may persuade an American to try this - the pudding comes out of the basin a golden yellow-brown colour and it tastes and smells delicious.
        IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Comment

• BarnacleGrim
          Seafaring Member
          • Nov 2008

I'll ask for lamb kidneys when I'm out buying the ham.
          1947 Nordic Folkboat "Nina"

Comment

• Peerie Maa
            Old Grey Inquisitive One
            • Oct 2008

DON'T put the carrots and celery in the pud. OK for flavouring the stock, but not in the pud please. I like mine served with mushy peas.

Me Mam used to do a great pudding with bacon and onions. Roll the suet paste out into a rectangle, lay sliced and separated onions and cut up bacon rashers on the paste leaving one edge uncovered. Roll up into a rolly poly, wrap in grease proof paper and then roll into a linen cloth, steam as Andrew directs.
            It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
            The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

• P.I. Stazzer-Newt
              obnoxiously persistent.
              • Jan 2005

The celery is optional.

I'm told that some folk like it.
              I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Comment

• Tristan
                • Nov 2004

Ah you evil torturing bastid! Haven't had a real steak and kidney pie for over 30 years! Now you've brought it all back, and you even brought back the memory of the "gravy." It's taken me years for the longing to diminish. Now you've brought it all back!

Comment

• Andrew Craig-Bennett
                  Who?
                  • Aug 1999

I think I should bring this old post out again; its coming to the time of year...
                  IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Comment

• Norman Bernstein
                    Liberaltarian
                    • Nov 2004

I love liver... but I draw the line, at kidneys
                    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Comment

• SKIP KILPATRICK
                      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett
                      This is for five greedy people or six ordinary people.

Take a good pound of stewing steak and three or four lamb's kidneys (not, under any circumstances, pig's kidneys and certainly not ox kidneys - calves' kidneys you might get away with). Brown them in a little oil; in another pan do the same with a couple of onions, a couple of stalks of celery and a couple of carrots, all diced. Transfer to a saucepan and add a half pint or so of stout; reduce this a bit, then add the meat and simmer slowly for an hour and a half. Adjust the seasoning and add worcester sauce if you like.

Meanwhile take half a pound of beef suet and a pound of self raising flour, add salt and pepper, combine them and add just enough water to make a dough; rest this for five minutes and then roll it out about half an inch thick. Butter and flour a two pound pudding basin, line it with the pastry, spoon in the filling, close the top, with a lid made from the remaining pastry, cover with greaseproof paper and foil, steam for a couple of hours or more or for preference steam for 30 minutes to let the dough rise then pressure cook for a couple of hours. if there is too much juice, call the remainder gravy.

Turn out.

Eat with hearty vegetables.
                      This might not be legal in the United States. I believe this falls outside the 1st Amendment protections.

suet is reserved to feed the song birds in winter.

This is pudding:

or banana
                      Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
                      ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Comment

• TomF
                        Recalcitrant Heretic
                        • Jun 2003

Dad loved steak and kidney pie. For him the best part was the contrast in texture between the smooth curved edges of the kidney pieces, and the square-cut chunks of beef. I picked up the gene from him somehow, but haven't passed it on.
                        If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Comment

• isla
                          Isla Woodcraft
                          • Aug 2008

I love steak and kidney, but prefer it in pie form with a shortcrust pastry. Nevertheless, I will pass on your recipe to my missus. Thanks Andrew.
                          Structures without reference to geometry tend toward the ramshackle

Comment

• woodpile
                            • Jul 2008

Andrew Zimmern of Bizarre Foods would be proud of you

Comment

• isla
                              Isla Woodcraft
                              • Aug 2008

I remember an occasion when my American Sister-in-law and her husband came to visit and we took them out to dinner. My BIL saw "steak and kidney pie" on the menu and ordered it. He was very surprised when it was served. He was expecting two items, a steak, and a kidney pie.
                              Structures without reference to geometry tend toward the ramshackle

Comment

Working...