PDA

View Full Version : Hobby chefs

Shang
12-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Tonight's dinner was Poisson Cru, made Tahitian style.
(Several recipies on line, try the one you favor most.)

The object is to learn what you need to know in order to eat well,
while taking over the kitchen for your lady love.

Being a romantic begins in the kitchen, not the bedroom.

seanz
12-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Made a terrrrrrible mistake the other day.

I was at a local market and puchased for $6, Julia Child's French Cooking Vol 1........I expect we'll weigh 1/2 a ton between us by this time next year.

Jacqui is the Child's fan and she cooked roast pork and made gravy that was worth bottling. One of the best meals she has ever cooked, brilliant.

Waddle, waddle. Oh well.
:D

Pugwash
12-06-2010, 09:38 PM
So You Wanna Be a Chef? (http://ruhlman.com/2010/09/so-you-wanna-be-a-chef%E2%80%94-by-bourdain-2.html)

Tom Montgomery
12-06-2010, 09:42 PM
The secret is that there is no secret. A few cooking techniques need to be learned. Beyond that one simply prepares simple ingredients simply. Always use fresh, seasonal ingredients. Always taste, taste, taste. And trust your taste.

Baking is another proposition, entirely.

Captain Intrepid
12-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Cooked a pork shoulder blade roast for the first time on saturday. Amazing cut of meat! I cannot over extoll how fantastic it was! 450 for an hour, then 2.5 more at 250. Smeared with grainy mustard and brown sugar, and half soaking in apple juice.

Shang
12-06-2010, 10:00 PM
So You Wanna Be a Chef? (http://ruhlman.com/2010/09/so-you-wanna-be-a-chef%E2%80%94-by-bourdain-2.html)

Not particularly, but I just like cooking for fun and for the well-being and joy of my Love and I.

Shang
12-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Cooking for two is somewhat difficulty since we are vegetarian, but the menu is well-served, and wonderful.

bobbys
12-06-2010, 10:38 PM
I thought my bride might be hungry so i stopped at the store and got all the fixings for a big salad, Lettuce, avocado, cucumber, tomato,pepper.

Cooked chicken thighs, and baked potato and yams.

Now cookie dough for 4 cookies..
I am lucky in that she loves Pasta and can always make that for her.

I eat no pasta and very little salad but will have a meal of just green beans or broccoli to get some greens

seanz
12-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Hmmm..yeaaaah...I posted about my partners little triumph, went off to do something else and remembered that Shang is a vegetarian.
Bother.

I wonder if there are any vege' recipes in the book?

pipefitter
12-07-2010, 07:07 AM
Went thru a spell of artsy fartsy foods and was always left wanting something else. This after years of subsidizing my ex wife's cooking with sneak trips to Wendy's on the way home, just in case. She really put us through it with all this new stuff and I was really just hoping she would get the stuff that can keep us alive right. I once saw a meatloaf, which the inner had separated from it's outer. . .shell, and just rattled around in there like shoes in a shoe box.

Anymore, I just focus on the home styled stuff and try to do it well and oddly enough, nothing seems to be missing anymore. Baked chicken, good steaks, fresh fish, good greens, cornbread, bread, pies and simple custard based deserts at times. My 18 yr old makes homemade pasta and sauces and I have to admit, he has that pasta thing down pretty good. Then there is snook scampi, and if I can manage that once a year, with stone crab stuffed flounder coming in a close second, I could pretty much eat sawdust for the rest of the year.

Somehow, it works out with very little waste and we're still fit. The basic ingredients get used up at a rate that keeps things pretty fresh, and there is always something to do with what's left, including the bacon fat. :D

SMARTINSEN
12-07-2010, 07:57 AM
Baking is another proposition, entirely.

Cooking is an art.
Baking is a science.

Stiletto
12-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Poisson Cru and vegetarianism?

Old Dryfoot
12-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Cooking is an art.
Baking is a science.

+1

When I apprenticed my Chef constantly reinforced one simple rule which was, aside from some fundamentals related to technique, good cooking required three things, salt, pepper, and love.

Shang
12-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Poisson Cru and vegetarianism?

We're not strict about it, we do eat some seafood. No four-legged nor two-legged animals.
I'd like to go Vegan, but I'm not ready to give up dairy and eggs.

Shang
12-07-2010, 05:19 PM
+1

When I apprenticed my Chef constantly reinforced one simple rule which was, aside from some fundamentals related to technique, good cooking required three things, salt, pepper, and love.

"When we cook we should do it with the same grace as presenting a rose to a lover."

Captain Intrepid
12-07-2010, 07:09 PM
We're not strict about it, we do eat some seafood. No four-legged nor two-legged animals.
I'd like to go Vegan, but I'm not ready to give up dairy and eggs.

I don't wanna make a fuss about it, but you're not a vegetarian. You just don't eat some types of meat. Little pet peeve of mine.

Pugwash
12-07-2010, 07:39 PM
I don't wanna make a fuss about it, but you're not a vegetarian. You just don't eat some types of meat. Little pet peeve of mine.

Technically, it's Pescetarianism. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pescetarianism)

Hitler was a vegetarian. :)

Stiletto
12-07-2010, 11:45 PM
I heard of someone the other day that will eat nothing that has a face.

I suggested oysters as a seafood choice.

seanz
12-07-2010, 11:46 PM
Just cut the face off if it's bothering you.

huisjen
12-08-2010, 08:21 AM
I have to say that baking is both art and science.

I just got a cookbook called Tartine, by the owners of a San Francisco bakery of the same name. It's nice to see someone admit to the difference between restaurant/bakery work and home cooking/baking. They pointed out a cake which is a regular item and can be assembled quickly from items normally on hand in the bakery: chiffon cake, caramel syrup, lemon cream.... They said that if they made it at home they'd be all day at it because they'd have to make each ingredient up.

Today I'm making their Shaker Lemon Pie.

Dan

huisjen
12-08-2010, 08:22 AM
And I won't eat mystery meat. My chickens will be fair game when their laying lives are over in a few years, and I've got four lambs that need to be offed, in the most humane manner I can manage.

Dan

Joe (SoCal)
12-08-2010, 08:34 AM
I'm pretty skilled in the kitchen. My favorite thing to do is when my girlfriend says she has nothing in the fridge and the pantry's is empty I pull it out of thin air and make a gourmet meal out of nothing.

But what I've been wanting to do now for years is take some adult education classes at the Culinary Institute of America just up the road in Hyde Park. They have a 6 week boot camp that reminds me of the class Julia Childs took in Paris.

Paul Pless
12-08-2010, 08:51 AM
My favorite thing to do is when my girlfriend says she has nothing in the fridge and the pantry's is empty I pull it out of thin air and make a gourmet meal out of nothing. i'm trying to find the macaroni and cheese and tomato soup recipe you posted long ago :d

Bruce Hooke
12-08-2010, 09:55 AM
The secret is that there is no secret. A few cooking techniques need to be learned. Beyond that one simply prepares simple ingredients simply. Always use fresh, seasonal ingredients. Always taste, taste, taste. And trust your taste.

I disagree a bit. My experience has been that someone with a good cooking sense and taste can figure out what needs to be added to something to really make it sing whereas someone without that sense can taste all they want but won't know what to add.

huisjen
12-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Shaker Lemon Pie dripped all over my oven and filled the kitchen with smoke. It's a bit on the chewy side too, both the filling and the crust.

"Baking is a science" my hairy Dutch ass.

Dan