PDA

View Full Version : beef stew

L.W. Baxter
12-06-2010, 08:57 PM
I don't love the shorter days of winter, but they are good for one thing: beef stew. I've got one going now, smells gooood. A small chuck roast cut into 2" squares, a dash of salt, a couple bouillon cubes and garlic cloves to start, then potatoes, carrots, celery, and yellow onion, finally near the end a few broken ears of corn, a cabbage, and a few sprigs of cilantro. Serve with corn tortillas hot off the comal and smeared with chipotle pepper sauce.

If that's not how it's done please tell me the right way and I promise not to lock the thread.

john l
12-06-2010, 09:14 PM
I usually add a cup of apple cider to my stew. It sweetens it up a touch.

paladin
12-06-2010, 09:14 PM
add one small can diced tomatoes, a T black peppercorns, substitute venison, elk, moose or buffalo for beef.

Paul Pless
12-06-2010, 09:25 PM
If that's not how it's done please tell me the right way and I promise not to lock the thread.its pretty hard to screw up stew. . .

i was mostly okay with yours until you added the cabbage;)

L.W. Baxter
12-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Huh. I can't imagine stew without cabbage.

The peppercorns are a no brainer, I just forgot. Diced tomatoes, apple cider I have not tried. I will keep them in mind.

We used to have great venison stews when I was a young feller in Montana. The deer were like rabbits in the Flathead valley...

paladin
12-06-2010, 09:35 PM
I've had it with/without the cabbage.......no dif one way or the other.

Hwyl
rutabaga

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbradio4/NF2766781?thread=3063084&latest=1#p35451804

Paul Pless
The deer were like rabbits in the Flathead valley...hasenpfeffer, now we're talking. . .

Captain Intrepid
12-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Lose the corn and cilantro, add a bottle of good stout, some parsnips and lots of coarsely ground black pepper.

J P
12-06-2010, 09:55 PM
I made up a sauerbraten kind of a deal this weekend with a small elk roast. I had saved the pickling juice from a jar of beets and onions that I had canned up this summer but wasn't really sure what I was going to do with it. I looked at the elk roast thawing out in the fridge next to the blood red beet pickle juice and had the sauerbraten inspiration. Plopped the roast into the juice to marinade for a few days then into the crockpot for a day with a few other things. It came out pretty durn good. Even made some ho-made spaetzle and green beans to go with it. Good winter tucker.

bobbys
12-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Mr Baxter youse is a true inspiration to me .

To morrow i shall take a Elk roast of of the freezer and do a stew PLUS work on your awesome chord changes{ i cant find that last song you showed please post again}

David G
12-06-2010, 10:47 PM
I love beef stew. I never seem to make it the same way twice, but it usually turns out pretty good.

L.W. Baxter
12-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Oh man, that was just about perfect. I made about three gallons so it will be good for lunch tomorrow, too.

I deleted the link from Tim's thread, bobbys, that's why you can't find it. Shake sugaree/buckets of rain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajelvHUw5-0) FYI, it's in open D tuning, DADF#AD. Those two-finger forms working up the neck are fun to play with.

LeeG
12-07-2010, 12:12 AM
bay leaf

McMike
12-07-2010, 06:57 AM
My wife made it twice this season so far. She won't get any complaints if she makes more. Between the boys and me it doesn't last much past seconds never mind lunch the next day.

SMARTINSEN
12-07-2010, 07:49 AM
I like it as a side dish, or on the cob, though I do not know why, but I am not a big fan of corn in soups or chowders.

We usually dredge the cubes in flour and sear them in a hot pan before they go into the pot. I like beef stew with baby pearl onions, and peas or string beans or both, and chipotle is always one of my favorites.

Milo Christensen
12-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Somehow, without fluffy dumplings simmered to perfection in the stew, it's not stew.

BTarleton
12-08-2010, 05:20 AM
definately have to sear the meat first - those extra tasty browned bits mix well with the onions & carrots.