PDA

View Full Version : How many different ways do you have to make coffee?

Paul Pless
12-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Kat and I have two drip coffee makers, an espresso machine, two french presses, and two percolators.

So that makes seven, not including making cowboy coffee in a pot.

Overkill?

S.V. Airlie
12-06-2010, 08:46 AM
If I had one, I have found the French press the way to go. Usually I perk the coffee on an old camp style percolator. Of course it is the type of bean used which is important.

TerryLL
12-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Let's see. Two drip coffee makers (Cuisinart and Krups) and two drip filter cones. The filter cones get the most use.

I just bought this little beauty, which makes perfect hot frothy milk. A true delight.

http://www.cosmicscoffee.com/images/pictures/nespresso-aeroccino-automatic-milk-frother.jpg

Milo Christensen
12-06-2010, 09:20 AM
This is what happens sometimes when people of "a certain age" get married, they both already have everything necessary to live comfortably as single persons.

Should we also count: Frying Pans, baking pans, mixers, microwaves, all the "what the heck" cooking stuff in the drawer I'm afraid to open because I'll never get it closed again, but some of that stuff is mine, mine I say, and some of that stuff is hers and she never throws anything away.

Let's not talk about beds, sofas, kitchen tables, entertainment centers, ironing boards, irons, sewing machines, end tables, coffee tables, occasional chairs, upholstered chairs, and for God's sake don't get me started on Aunt Glady's overstuffed chair stuffed into a corner of the half bath in the basement!

S.V. Airlie
12-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Opening wedding presents.... " Oh dear, thank you for the second, third or fourth coffee pot " rolling eyes. " I love it! Just what I needed.".. umm how many coffee pots did you get as wedding presents?

TerryLL
12-06-2010, 09:24 AM
Best way to avoid wedding gift redundancy is to never get married. Long-term cohabitation has it's merits, not the least of which is pissing off the non-MIL.

Cuyahoga Chuck
12-06-2010, 09:25 AM
A regular way (drip) and an emergency way (one cup coffee press). My old percolator works well as a watering can for house plants.

paladin
12-06-2010, 09:55 AM
One...my way ......old drip o later, coffee in basket, boiling water on top.

David G
12-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Don't drink coffee a lot. Maybe once a week on average. Own a drip machine. It's at the shop. Also have a french press (somewhere). Also have a 1-cup drip filter cone that fits over your coffee cup. Also have a really good coffee kiosk right around the corner from the shop, and three more coffee shops in walking distance.

pipefitter
12-06-2010, 12:24 PM
One drip coffee maker. When it craps out, I will use the basket/boiling water trick to get me through. I make each cup fresh. I get used to one way of making a good cup of coffee and that's all I need. Consistency is key. I was happy to find out that my girlfriend likes her coffee strength the same as mine and makes hers fresh as well. We both make coffee that each other likes when we take turns.

seanz
12-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Does instant count?

No?

Two ways then, one really, as the Atomic stovetop thingy of my partner has has never been used that I've noticed. That leaves the stovetop percolator, that's good coffee.
:)

Katherine
12-06-2010, 12:35 PM
The really funny part is that my MIL (Paul's mother) thinks that we do not have a fully equipped kitchen or enough towels.

S.V. Airlie
12-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Katherine.. all mothers seem to be like that. Always have to take care of things. I remember when I had aa B&B I took T'day off and headed to Va. Ws gone a week. Came home and my rather large house ( 19 rooms) had been entirely re-arranged. I mean totally re-arranged. When I asked my mother why, she said that it needed a woman's touch.

Case Closed. Took meten years to find my old passport.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
12-06-2010, 01:03 PM
The really funny part is that my MIL (Paul's mother) thinks that we do not have a fully equipped kitchen or enough towels.

She's right about the towels - very wise.

But, returning to our muttons, five percolators (one of which works inside the microwave!), a wasp waisted aluminium pressure thing, two French presses, a drip filter, and best of the lot one of Dewar's vacuum jobs.

Like most Brits, I mostly drink instant.

S.V. Airlie
12-06-2010, 01:22 PM
England had a reputation of digesting umm poor food, bland food, mushy food. Changing now but they have a reputation much as the Scots have a reputation of being miserly.
I can for some reason believe you drink instant.

Can you hear me scream from here?

Brian Palmer
12-06-2010, 01:35 PM
One for making coffee at home (machine), and one for when we're camping (insulated press). I also have a small cook-stove top espresso maker, but haven't used it in years.

Brian

Bruce Taylor
12-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Overkill?

You need a bigger, better, and much more expensive, espresso machine. Don't deny it. You know I'm right.

Milo Christensen
12-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Ahhh, kitchen towels. Now that just happens to be something near and dear to Marilyn's heart. We have everyday hand towels ("Did you just wipe your mouth with that towel?", said as if I've somehow turned into Typhoid Mary). We have everyday dish drying towels ("Did you just wipe your hands with that towel?", said with the dreaded eyebrow raised). We have fancy seasonal towels for if guests should just happen to pop over ("Don't you dare wipe your hands with that towel!", said rather forcefully). We have different fancy seasonal towels for October (Halloween), November (Thanksgiving and just got 4 more), December (Christmas, but we have soooo many of these that some have been turned into car washing towels). Ahhh yes, one can never have too many kitchen towels, especially since they apparently have to be washed every time I touch one.

S.V. Airlie
12-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Milo which ones did Marilyn allow you to take for washing the car?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
12-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Simpler is better (except when complicated looks really cool)

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0003/1621/files/cona.jpg?1242126804

Simple or Complicated but cool?

Milo Christensen
12-06-2010, 02:02 PM
I think the one's she put in the trash and I took out of the trash for the garage rag box were probably 20 years old? Who knows? You can never have too much repeatedly washed cotton rags in the garage, can you?

Oh, and Paul, the reason I'm hijacking this thread is in an attempt at compensating for only having one working Mr. Coffee at a time in the house.

bobbys
12-06-2010, 02:03 PM
I dunno make it, When i wakes up in the morn with the Cookies bell a ringing i make my Wrench get up and git me a cop of Joe.

Cookie has a pot going day and night he just adds beans to with eggshells and who knows what..

He roasts his beans in a Dutch oven.

Thinking about leaving this outfit in the spring dough , Getting tired of punching cattle.

Gonna keep Rosita though she is a mite pleasure to me and i have turned sweet on her..

Dunno think she can make cawfee, We may have to make camp at Starbucks.

S.V. Airlie
12-06-2010, 02:09 PM
When I started by B&B, I served a full breakfast..Homemade bread the works. Initially I bought the expensive stuff as I thought my guests deserved it. For months I did this. After a while after more one complimented me on the coffee I went to Maxwell House, I received more compliments over the Maxwell House than with any other type of coffee I had offered previously.
So the bottom line, if you like the brand and the coffee maker you have, use them. If you are used to the same machine or coffee stick with them.

McMike
12-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Me, I like my coffee to taste the same way every morning, no surprises. So we only have one coffee maker, drip.

Paul Pless
12-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Me, I like my coffee to taste the same way every morning, no surprises. Maybe so does Katherine, I think that's why she doesn't drink my coffee and stops at Mcdonalds every morning for coffee.

FWIW, I like mine strong, that may have something to do with her not drinking my coffee. . .

McMike
12-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Maybe so does Katherine, I think that's why she doesn't drink my coffee and stops at Mcdonalds every morning for coffee.

FWIW, I like mine strong, that may have something to do with her not drinking my coffee. . . I like it strong too, with nothing in it, I'm a bit of a purist.

Paul Pless
12-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Ahhh, kitchen towels. Now that just happens to be something near and dear to Marilyn's heart. We have everyday hand towels ("Did you just wipe your mouth with that towel?", said as if I've somehow turned into Typhoid Mary). We have everyday dish drying towels ("Did you just wipe your hands with that towel?", said with the dreaded eyebrow raised). We have fancy seasonal towels for if guests should just happen to pop over ("Don't you dare wipe your hands with that towel!", said rather forcefully). We have different fancy seasonal towels for October (Halloween), November (Thanksgiving and just got 4 more), December (Christmas, but we have soooo many of these that some have been turned into car washing towels). Ahhh yes, one can never have too many kitchen towels, especially since they apparently have to be washed every time I touch one.

Maybe Katherine and Marilyn are related.

TomF
12-06-2010, 03:12 PM
A stovetop perk, and a 1-cup press (for emergencies).

I've given up on drip machines - I wear them out too quickly.

McMike
12-06-2010, 03:15 PM
. . . (said with the dreaded eyebrow raised) . . .

What is with the eyebrow and wives? Mine gives it to me all the time. Man, it's powerful mojo too. Then when I try to give the eyebrow right back at her she acts as if I just pushed the button that started WWIII. I'd like to shave those off one day just to see if she can get the same affect without em. :D

Canoez
12-06-2010, 03:22 PM
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0003/1621/files/cona.jpg?1242126804

Simple or Complicated but cool?

Ok, might need a theory of operation on that one.

I used to work with a guy who was a long-time grill man at a local diner. He always claimed that the best coffee he ever had was from a 'tip-urn' - basically a two chambered device with a filter in between the chambers to hold the grounds. It had taps on both chambers for when it was in either orientation and a heater underneath the bottom chamber - anyone ever see/have one?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
12-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Ok, might need a theory of operation on that one.

Sure ting:- HowTo. (http://www.cona.co.uk/cona-products-dining-using.php)

Canoez
12-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Cool! Thanks, PISN.

S.V. Airlie
12-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Just don't offer me a cup of cafe' latte' Supposed to be sophisticated.. I think it is swill.

Paul Pless
12-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Ok, might need a theory of operation on that one.people really seem to enjoy posting youtube videos of their konas in operation

cs
12-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Just wondering, expresso is not coffee is is? Sure expresso is made from the bean of the coffee, but it isn't coffee. So the way I see it an expresso machine is not a different way to make coffee, it is a way to make expresso. Just saying. |;)

As far as coffee goes I use the automatic drip thing except when camping and than I perculate it.

BTW we also have an expresso machine.

Chad

ps no instant here no way no how

S.V. Airlie
12-06-2010, 04:05 PM
It's the grind.. an exceptionally fine one

cs
12-06-2010, 04:08 PM
It is more than just the grind, although that is a big part of it. Expresso is brewed a bit different than coffee. They just both use coffee beans.

Chad

cs
12-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Expresso is made by forcing boiling water (about 15 atmospheres) through tightly packed finely ground beans.

Chad

Captain Intrepid
12-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Espresso is coffee brewed under a certain level of pressure to extract the flavour compounds in a short amount of time in high concentration.

S.V. Airlie
12-06-2010, 04:15 PM
cs you are correct I was just leaving it to the basics.I/E. the coffee. Did not go into details

cs
12-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Okay. I was really just giving Paul a hard time.

Chad

Shang
12-06-2010, 04:49 PM
http://2.imimg.com/data2/FC/WS/IMFCP-493839/turkish-coffee-pot-777233-250x250.jpg

My ibrik is more beat up than the one pictured, but makes good Turkish coffee.

John P Lebens
12-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Two auti drip machines, a french press, an espresso machine, two Eva Solo carafes, a Chemex and a plain old Melita filter. That's it - we have our limits

Nicholas Scheuer
12-06-2010, 05:34 PM
We use a Cuisinart 12-cup (we do 8) percolator (or is it drip?) every day.

We NEVER let our lips touch "instant" coffee.

We use a B---(something) French Press out in our yawl.

I can make a 2-quart pot of decent "Camp Coffee" on a wood fire out in the wild.

And that is about it for us.

Moby Nick

Ethan
12-07-2010, 02:25 AM
Electric perc at home, Keurig at work.

It's the bean, man.

Speaking of - anybody drink Lighthouse Roasters? Thinking of ordering some, but they sure seem to be proud of it....

Ron Williamson
12-07-2010, 06:27 AM
One auto drip.
One french press for the boat.
One Bodum french press mug.
One single cup filter.
R

Allison
12-07-2010, 06:41 AM
Only one stovetop. Heat soy milk(I'm vegan), and 50/50 coffee. Strong enough for me.