PDA

View Full Version : My Brave wife dodges sudden death...................

skuthorp
12-05-2010, 07:28 AM
or what to do when a LARGE gum tree falls on your roof.
Eight fourty five in the evening, prawns and beer for dinner, SWMBO sitting up in bed doing the crossword. Swoosh BANG! and half the top of a neighbours very large tree comes through the bedroom roof. SWMBO very shaken but all the neighbours heard it even half a mile away and came round. Insurance and a builder organised in 20 mins, the SES (emergency help with a crew, equipment, lights and a big tarp) within the hour. Eleven thirty and they are still there. No one hurt and not too much damage I hope. Getting it fixed before Xmas may not be so easy. A very tall tree, heavy with water and new growth with it's roots in wet clay. A strong easterly and down it came. I will have a good look at a few more tomorrow.

Allison
12-05-2010, 07:41 AM
Wow!,
that is seriously scary.
You guys are damn lucky. It's been such a suddenly wet spring after years of drought and there have been so many strong wind storms this year as well.

I'm happy that it's only a busted roof. You should be able to sort that pretty quickly but of course there is all the rubbish that comes with dealing with insurance companies.
The SES is a great organisation, they help so many people.
You'd better not buy any Lottery tickets for a while, I reckon you used up all your luck for quite a while!

skuthorp
12-05-2010, 07:52 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/donnwest/smilies/eek.gif

Evening Donn. And yes, we can see the funny side. Ended up with an impromptu Christmas gathering of the neighbours. Whisky all round, coffee and Xmas cake, even a tree with (the SES's) lights. Just a wee bit large for the house though. Been keeping up with the cricket?, Pietersens innings was a bottler.
Allison, a meter to the left and it would have been a more serious matter. I take the point about luck, I was working under that tree half the afternoon. The root pan is about 4 meters across.

McMike
12-05-2010, 08:06 AM
I'm glad no one got harmed and I'm sorry about your house. Hopefully it will be nothing more than an inconvenience and a hair-raising story to tell in a few months but holy crap!!!!!! Your heart must have been in your throat!!

If you wanted to throw a party you could have just made few phone calls, sheesh, a bit dramatic aren't you. :d

Paul Pless
12-05-2010, 08:09 AM
Sku, do y'all still have an extra house?

skuthorp
12-05-2010, 09:05 AM
The house is still livable, tarp on the roof, power and water works OK. It's blowing hard outside though and we probably won't sleep much. OTOH, thats one tree that can't fall again eh?

RFNK
12-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Wow! So pleased to hear that no one's hurt Jeff - especially you or your good lady!! So, is the wood good for anything?
Rick

McMike
12-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Wow! So pleased to hear that no one's hurt Jeff - especially you or your good lady!! So, is the wood good for anything?
Rick

Leave it to a wooden boat fellow to see the bright side.:d

skuthorp
12-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Yes I think so, a very big stick of timber that seems in good order. I have already considered having it milled but that's for after Xmas maybe. It's Eucalypt and very dense and heavy but way too good for the fire, we'll see.

Phillip Allen
12-05-2010, 09:50 AM
WOW! Glad you all survived...now...work this into a really good story so we can hear about drop bears, snakes and spiders the size of dinner plates and anything else that mike add to the enjoyment of the re-telling

this event should not be wasted on mere truth :)

skuthorp
12-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Well there's a snake in our wood pile already, it's a start I guess Phillip. I'll keep you posted. (pssst, drop bears are not so bad if you don't walk in a straight line for too long)

C. Ross
12-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Thank god your wife is OK.
If you mill the eucalyptus, what would you do with it? (Maybe a rollbar cage for the bed?)

McMike
12-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Thank god your wife is OK.
If you mill the eucalyptus, what would you do with it? (Maybe a rollbar cage for the bed?)

Too funny.:DY>

RFNK
12-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Yes I think so, a very big stick of timber that seems in good order. I have already considered having it milled but that's for after Xmas maybe. It's Eucalypt and very dense and heavy but way too good for the fire, we'll see.

I like that attitude!

Phillip, no need. It's a given in Oz that whenever a tree falls through your roof it will invariably dump its load of bears, snakes, possums, phascogales, spiders, gliders and mopokes into the bedroom. Doesn't this happen in AK?
Rick

Phillip Allen
12-05-2010, 10:34 AM
I like that attitude!

Phillip, no need. It's a given in Oz that whenever a tree falls through your roof it will invariably dump its load of bears, snakes, possums, phascogales, spiders, gliders and mopokes into the bedroom. Doesn't this happen in AK?
Rick
This little piggy built his house out of bricks...:)

Paul Pless
12-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Doesn't this happen in AK?In Alaska it probably just lets the grizzlies in; not so much in Arkansas . . .

Syed
12-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Jeff,
Good to know you are all safe and sorry for your loss and inconvenience.

JimD
12-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Glad everyone is safe. Naturally, we want pics.

RFNK
12-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Jeff, just thinking ... better not say too much about the milling value of that tree in case the neighbours want it back ....
Rick

L.W. Baxter
12-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Yikes!

Around here, we had a rash of trees-falling-through-roofs before developers (and their government overseers) learned that they couldn't cut a big patch of fir and hemlock, but leave a neat little row of tall, naked trees along the backside of the new houses they were building. The first big blow and over they'd go!

I'm glad no one was hurt. Do you need any help with the fix? Me and bobbys could come over and fix it right up.:d McMike could bring his clipboard and make sure we did it right.

McMike
12-05-2010, 11:45 AM
.:d McMike could bring his clipboard and make sure we did it right.

. . .:D

McMike
12-05-2010, 11:51 AM
BTW Beans, how is it you know me so well?:D

http://q7koqw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p4go_uYHqlcFSnRN7HbjCj_3inOEHxIfJ2eR7F2zp2wlt7qo PueAaU7uW0RPzNbF4Oy5alpH-r-W_-ipLOosnJ0_bawF3iDJh/IMG_1502%5B1%5D.JPG?psid=1 (http://q7koqw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p4go_uYHqlcFSnRN7HbjCj_3inOEHxIfJhnngLwWvOSICXxS mLBZXP_YFCxxt14qafYc9bhbKOk7Jz4oElVuK7YiqNJhKHzjx/IMG_1502%5B1%5D.JPG?psid=1)

L.W. Baxter
12-05-2010, 11:52 AM
I can spot you guys coming from three lots down...

Phil Y
12-05-2010, 01:49 PM
lucky escape, glad you are OK
Phil

bobbys
12-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Im glad youse is OK down there,our neighbor has giant spruce trees that would hit our house, 4 already fell and destroyed my sheds, Lucky i had insurance and it was the only job i had a few times.

I would come help with Mr Baxter and MaCmikey but its my radio and i listen to Rush from 9 till noon.

After that if they wanna listen to NPR commie stuff they can...

L.W. Baxter
12-05-2010, 02:16 PM
It's all good. Us lazy communists don't ever get to work before noon anyways...

Phillip Allen
12-05-2010, 02:57 PM
you guys are full of beans ya know... :)

PeterSibley
12-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Lucky ,lucky ...that could have ended badly ! I'm very glad you are both OK Jeff .

Milling ? Good idea , what species ?

skuthorp
12-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Nothing special Peter, mesmate I think. Half the trees round here are dodgy inside, it's ironic that this one seems OK. Had a look round this morning, lots of chipping and a trip to the tip or 5 with the tops. Plenty of firewood from the brances already cut up. SES did an amazing job, called it an exercise!

Phillip Allen
12-05-2010, 04:04 PM
come on! ...PICS!

skuthorp
12-05-2010, 04:09 PM
It's the one thing I haven't gotten my head around Phillip, but I will sometime today. We have a double ceiling for extra insulation, top one is in splinters, the inner just pushed back into place but the tin roof is dented and split and all the fascias and spouts are gone. Amazing stuff duct tape.

Phillip Allen
12-05-2010, 04:12 PM
well then, post a pic of your sweetie...I've not seen a woman with her eyes permanently stuck wide open as tea cups

Wooden Boat Fittings
12-05-2010, 04:30 PM
That's bad luck, Jeff. But good luck that Anne's okay.

Part of the trouble was no doubt the drought, which induces new roots to stay shallow to seek out what water exists when it rains. Then when it does rain -- solidly for weeks like it has been recently, so the ground gets saturated and soft -- there's not as much depth in the root structure to keep the tree upright.

We've had several large gums drop here for that reason over the last few days -- none close to the property fortunately. (Our dams are full for the first time since 1998.) But it's only five years since I was losing large natives (eucalypt, pittosporum, lilly-pilly) at the Creek due to lack of water.

Firewood and building scantlings mate -- and maybe some frames, stringers, and deadwood for a new boat, eh?

Mike

seanz
12-05-2010, 04:33 PM
or what to do when a LARGE gum tree falls on your roof.
Eight fourty five in the evening, prawns and beer for dinner, SWMBO sitting up in bed doing the crossword. Swoosh BANG! and half the top of a neighbours very large tree comes through the bedroom roof. SWMBO very shaken but all the neighbours heard it even half a mile away and came round. Insurance and a builder organised in 20 mins, the SES (emergency help with a crew, equipment, lights and a big tarp) within the hour. Eleven thirty and they are still there. No one hurt and not too much damage I hope. Getting it fixed before Xmas may not be so easy. A very tall tree, heavy with water and new growth with it's roots in wet clay. A strong easterly and down it came. I will have a good look at a few more tomorrow.

Did she say any crosswords? Howabout "tree down"?

Very glad you're both all alright. I am sorry your roof is wrecked and I'm really sorry that you have to deal with an insurance company.

doorstop
12-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Not good news Jeff, please give Anne my best. I already knew she was very brave.... she married you!
Take care mate, both of you.
Am still searching for buzzer blades by the way. I know the buggers are hiding in that mess somewhere.

bobbys
12-05-2010, 09:38 PM
I planted 3 eucalyptus trees as i had never seen them before and enjoyed taking a leaf and breathing the soothing smell.

They grew gangbusters for 4 years then died last winter after a cold spell..

One is coming back from the trunk though with new shoots.

Paul Pless
12-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Howabout "tree down"?
very punny

purri
12-05-2010, 09:56 PM
^Try snow gums.

Larks
12-06-2010, 04:26 AM
Bloody hell Jeff, I've only just noticed this mate but am glad to hear that you're both OK. Are there any more about that you need to worry about?

skuthorp
12-06-2010, 05:42 AM
Yes Greg, been looking at a few today. Same aspect same species, about same age, vulnerable to an east wind, which we have at the moment. Very unsettling. Think I'll be doing something about them tomorrow, got to talk to the neighbour as they are his trees. I don't expect any argument from him though.

RFNK
12-06-2010, 06:44 AM
If I were you I'd wait til the wind changes!
Rick

Stiletto
12-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Wow that's frightening!

I'm glad everyone is OK.

oznabrag
12-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Aside from a little material damage, that's very good news!

I hope you'll have a merry Christmas!

Lew Barrett
12-06-2010, 08:51 PM
I just happened in as well. Glad you and the missus are well, Jeff.

The Bigfella
12-08-2010, 04:57 AM
Glad all is OK mate. Take care... and I hope you aren't with the NRMA. Miserable pricks stuffed us around when a tree took out the end of our house in '96.

Good luck....

skuthorp
12-08-2010, 05:21 AM
RACV, seems OK so far, the assesor/repairer comes tomorrow. Neighbour's tree but both insured, I presume the companies will sort it out between them. SES was brilliant, they really didn't have to come till daylight but the fact that it was warm and dry, underground power and single story turned it into a safe training exercise! Coffe and bikkies all round at 1am. I'll see if I need to revise my opinions after tomorrow I guess.