PDA

View Full Version : I have a tread in the build and repair that went a rie so I try and brig it here

Pokey
12-04-2010, 03:50 PM
I would be interested in knowing why Spruce is un excitable boat material
the guide boat here have been built with spruce for many years as it was what was avable and like Poke many are still in use

I find it intersting some can take a 2 deminical view and extract a 3d image
first as I stated the spreaqder were installed wrong after sanding
I'm a miser when it come to wood and all ribs did not project the same above the gunnal

the wood I'm using is FREE and instaed of builbing a 1/4 scale modle I'm building a full scale modle IF I choose to use it for a Vicking funeral I can.
I'm hoping to build a replica of my boat which plan don't exist
before I spend what will amount to $1,000.00 on 1x8x24's I thought it might be a good idea to pratic on FREE lumber.

this has taught me one interesting Larch is Tammrack which dose grow here so I may have to inquir with local saw mill to my knwlage any one around here would consider Tamack a junk wood. As it grows in swamps that may be where the rot provention comes from.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54426805@N04/

StevenBauer
12-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Spruce isn't usually used for frames or planking as it rots so easily. Spruce really rots easily. If you can get Larch use that. Then you won't be tearing out rotten spruce in just a few years.

Steven

Cuyahoga Chuck
12-04-2010, 06:04 PM
The spruce in guide boats was the ribs which were sawn from the ever-plentiful Adirondike spruce stumps. They even had a special hand saw for doing that. Some of the stump wood may be from the root system and therefore very different from what was gotten from the upper part of the tree.

peter radclyffe
12-04-2010, 11:10 PM
spar spruce can be the same price as teak here

Glen Longino
12-05-2010, 12:16 AM
..."a rie"...

That is unique, quaint, and precious!
I'll never forget it.
I hope Donn does not see it and have to run get a quadruple bypass!:)