PDA

View Full Version : Things I'm doing to economize whilst between jobs...

Joe Dupere
12-04-2010, 08:26 AM
I've had to give up my premium micro brewery beers and ales. Now I'm drinking PBR, the cheap beer of college students everywhere. It's pretty much swill, but the upside is that I'm getting it from my son's stash that he doesn't know we know he has. So, it's free, it's payback for all of my beer that's mysteriously disappeared every now and again, and he can't complain, because then he'd have to admit he has it!! :D :D

Joe, FFPoP

skuthorp
12-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Ha! The biter bit Joe! Hope things look up for you soon.

S.V. Airlie
12-04-2010, 08:40 AM
I thought we were supposed to SPEND,SPEND,SPEND

Joe Dupere
12-04-2010, 08:51 AM
I thought we were supposed to SPEND,SPEND,SPEND

I just might be willing to do that if we had MONEY, MONEY, MONEY.

Joe, FFPoP

S.V. Airlie
12-04-2010, 08:52 AM
We are supposed to use credit.

JMAC
12-05-2010, 12:09 AM
Have any other economic strategies to share? I've lowered my power bill and raised all my deductibles....lots of kinds of insurances these days....

Ed Harrow
12-05-2010, 12:17 AM
Oh, you should try Wiederverwerteten Bier. I hear it's quite good!

Chip-skiff
12-05-2010, 01:54 AM
Mostly, we buy bulk staples— rice, beans, etc. We hunt, garden, forage, and cook from scratch. More work, but definitely less expense.

I'm a world-class leftovers cook. Good skill to have, these days.

TimH
12-05-2010, 02:07 AM
How long can this go on? The truth is that this can go on forever. The rich now control enough of the media to create "reality". Even as "concerns" are raised, the myth that nothing can be done trumps all. It is becoming the new "normal". Every day we are told by the corporate media that it's not possible to rehire the umemployed even if we started creating jobs at the rate jobs were created during the boom years of the Clinton Administration.

The thought that we could just do what needs to be done to make it happen never passes their lips. The principles that Alexander Hamilton presented to Congress in 1792 that took a back woods group of colonies that didn't make shovels and created the largest most powerful manufacturing economy the world has ever seen, his words are never mentioned. They talk about manufacturing as if it were as quaint as powdered wigs. China, Japan and Germany all operate on these same priciples that Hamilton proposed 230 years ago. Thirty years ago China was nearly as primitive as 1790s American and now they build 230 mph bullet trains. But we can't; FOX, CBS, NBC and ABC say so, and they create reality.

Linky (http://www.prairie2.com/)

BrianW
12-05-2010, 04:09 AM
I've had to give up my premium micro brewery beers and ales. Now I'm drinking PBR, the cheap beer of college students everywhere. It's pretty much swill, but the upside is that I'm getting it from my son's stash...

Classic Joe! :D

paladin
12-05-2010, 11:02 AM
You can live pretty inexpensively if you try. I never buy packaged food, bake my bread, watch tv 2-3 hours a week, dunno buy packaged dog food, buy bulk stuff on sale.......

Bobby of Tulsa
12-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Cheap beer and a good woman, Nothin better. :d

Ron Williamson
12-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Um...how about free beer and a great woman?
R

Breakaway
12-05-2010, 04:01 PM
I dont know about you guys, but life was cheaper for me BEFORE women!

Kevin

zertgold
12-05-2010, 04:07 PM
I eat one regular meal a day for dinner. The rest of the day I only eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Folks at work pick on me because I have no variety, but there are so many different flavores of jelly.;)

And Jif just released their new Omega-3 peanut butter. If I keep this up, I will be a millionaire in just a few years.

paladin
12-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Normal breakfast for me...one patty Jimmy Deam sausage, one egg over medium, 2 toast, coffee Idialysis days)
Oatmeal, milk, coffee non dialysis days

meat/veggie sandwich for lunch or something close.

Proper dinner in evenings with suggested food groups.

Bobby of Tulsa
12-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Um...how about free beer and a great woman?
R
I got the GREAT woman, now where do I get free beer. :d

Joe Dupere
12-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Steal it from your kids!! :D

Joe, FFPoP

Bobby of Tulsa
12-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Steal it from your kids!! :D

Joe, FFPoP They do Liquor. I like to be able to stand up. :d

Michael D. Storey
12-05-2010, 05:29 PM
I am working a heartbeat into a new restaurant these days, along with the help of some talented people. No money comin out these days. I have been able to do well with a patchwork of side jobs, some taking an hour now and then, which I sell for $125.00 each. Cash money, so Judith and I are okay. The Boy flies home from Stanford on my saved up flier miles. I have a wood furnace. We don't go out much, hang the clothes outside. Judith substitute teaches. The dogs get fed, but do their part by bringing home whatever they can catch. I have a shot of the spaniel with a squirrel tail hanging out of his mouth. Gonna use it for a Christmas card.

Michael D. Storey
12-05-2010, 05:30 PM
They do Liquor. I like to be able to stand up. :d
Great idea! For a part-time job, do stand up at a local comedy club! 'Hey, I'm here all week.....'

Paul Pless
12-05-2010, 05:44 PM
okay, this thread almost has me talked into wanting to have kids

Ed Harrow
12-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Oh, you should try Wiederverwerteten Bier. I hear it's quite good!

If'n ya want cheap, it don't come any cheaper, and it's readily available, everywhere.

john l
12-05-2010, 06:36 PM
My three sons always clean me out of beer. The oldest who is living at home since he graduated college (he did get a job though) has premium taste in beer. But when low on cash has brought home Miller High Life. $8.50 for a twelve pack. And it's not bad - probably the best of cheap beers next to Genny Creame Ale. I've bought "the champagne of Bottle beer" a few times since the summer-basically when all boys are home from school.

Joe Dupere
12-05-2010, 07:35 PM
I eat one regular meal a day for dinner. The rest of the day I only eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Folks at work pick on me because I have no variety, but there are so many different flavores of jelly.;)

I eat like a king at breakfast, like a prince at lunch, and like a pauper at dinner.

Joe, FFPoP

Harbormaster
12-05-2010, 08:13 PM
I got the GREAT woman, now where do I get free beer. :d

If she really was a great woman, she'd be bringing you the free beer.

Joe, if you ever come to Rockland, I'll buy you some of that good micro beer.

Joe Dupere
12-05-2010, 08:18 PM
okay, this thread almost has me talked into wanting to have kids

Nah, you'll have to wait almost fifteen years before you can start stealing their beer!! :D

Joe, FFPoP

Michael D. Storey
12-05-2010, 08:30 PM
I was thinking that if I were lookin for a job in the U. S. and A., I mean being between jobs and all, I would consider refraining from using the word whilst,

Jusayin

Joe Dupere
12-06-2010, 05:19 PM
I was thinking that if I were lookin for a job in the U. S. and A., I mean being between jobs and all, I would consider refraining from using the word whilst,

Jusayin

Let's just keep it amongst ourselves, okay?

Joe, FFPoP