PDA

View Full Version : For those who smoke a Tobacco pipe

zertgold
12-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Curious to see if anyone else smoked a tobacco pipe.

If you haven't smoked a McClelland Tobacco, I urge you to try one. They have a bunch, and most are excellent. Also stay away from Mac Baron they burn the ship out of your mouth. Here is an excellent resource for finding an ideal smoke, they review almost every tobacco ever made:
tobaccoreviews.com (http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/)

What tobacco do you smoke?
What tobacco pipe is your preference?

*I am sure there are thousands of off topic quips which could be thrown in to this post. I thank you in advance for keeping them to yourself.

Lew Barrett
12-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Cigar guy myself, and I have never been able to get the hang of a pipe. I smoke a lot less these days, but I do love a good cigar under the right conditions. I will be interested to see how this thread goes....if it goes.

zertgold
12-03-2010, 10:28 PM
I also enjoy a good cigar, but they put me on my pants. My favorite part is the very end of the cigar, but when I get there I have to put it down. otherwise it will put me down.
I have searched for a pipe tobacco which is similar to a tobacco, but there really isn't any.

They do make pipe tobacco with the kick of a cigar or worse.
This stuff is dangerous:
http://smokingpipes.com/images/products/003-059-0012.jpg

S.V. Airlie
12-03-2010, 10:28 PM
I used to but it wore my teeth down on one side. I also used to suck/chew lemons. My dentist loved both umm addictions

David G
12-03-2010, 10:47 PM
zertgold,

I've smoked a pipe since college. That'd be about 40 years now. I don't fire it up a ton - never have. Sometimes I go weeks, months, or even years without pulling one out. In the last 10 years, though, I've been more regular. Once a week on average, maybe. More in the winter months, when the shop is cooler. Definitely around the campfire or aboard. I'm no aficionado or connoisseur. Pipes - I've got a corncob. I've got a Walgreens special from Dr. Scholls (or whoever makes those cheapies). It has those weird in-line filters. I've got a couple of decent ones I picked out of the basket for relatively cheap ($20 - 30) at the local pipe shop. I've got a very nice one that were gifted from a client, and another from a friend.

Tobaccos? I switch around a lot. My neighborhood tobacco store carries Dunhill, MacBaren, Lane, and several others I'm forgetting. I tend to mix in a blend called All Day Long frequently, and one of the Dunhills (forget the #). I am not much partial to the flavored smokes (cherry, mint, etc.), but otherwise will try anything once.

James McMullen
12-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Pipes are also used to smoke tobacco? :confused:

Never tried that.

JBreeze
12-04-2010, 12:22 AM
I have searched for a pipe tobacco which is similar to a tobacco, but there really isn't any.

http://smokingpipes.com/images/products/003-059-0012.jpg

I'm not sure of the differences between cigar tobacco and cigarette tobacco, but one company who made a variety of cigarette tobaccos for the RYO crowd continues to make "pipe" tobacco in the same blends as well as single blends such as burley, golden virginnias, orientals, etc. The company is Daughters and Ryan in N.C.

The only difference between cigarette tobacco and "pipe" tobacco is the width of the cut and the "purpose" of the tobacco according to ATF. Pipe tobaccos are taxed at around $2.50/lb vs >$25.00/lb for cigarette tobacco. Many of D&R's tobaccos don't have added flavorings, casings or toppings, so they are "multi-use" tobaccos. Some of D&R's products can be used in a cigarette instead of a pipe. These might be suitable for cigars, also.

D&R is available directly from the company, or from pipesandcigars.com in Albany, NY. Typically <$30/14 oz. pouch.

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/

Pipesandcigars.com provides excellent service and free shipping for orders > $100.....I highly recommend them.

In any use - pipe, cigarette or cigar, D&R makes one blend called Picayunne, which will literally knock you over !!

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=D&TID=3338

Bob Smalser
12-04-2010, 01:48 AM
I prefer Savinellis and a mild, Virginia Bright-Burley myself, but Peterson's will do. System pipes are cleaner, and the Savs use better briar and smoke a tad cooler.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/15559999/269185095.jpg

bob winter
12-04-2010, 06:20 AM
I have smoked a pipe for years. There are a lot of good blends out there but they are hard to find in Ottawa unless you are willing to drag yourself downtown, which is a real pain given the parking situation. Mostly smoke Amphora, always have. The store was out of Amphora so I picked up a package of something called Captain Black. Stay away from it, horrible stuff.

Ian McColgin
12-04-2010, 07:43 AM
I smoked from 18 to 54, when I met MaryEllen. Her asthma made smoking around her impossible and it was easier to stop alltogether. I used to joke that if we broke up I could at least find consolation in my pipes, but all forty odd of those went down with Goblin.

I was lucky to work for a tobacconist my last year of university and got to know what went into the tobaccos I like. As with Scotch, different types for different occasions. Unlike scotch, there is much more to be said for blends. My own taste runs towards oriental tobaccos in high concentration - latakia and jendij and such, but like Mr Smalser I agree there's nothing quite like a burley, burley and virginia mix, or even add a pinch of perique, maybe some deers foot, when out in the woods at that quiet rest spot.

I used to cure up my pipes to specific types of blend to keep the whole experience harmonious.

By the way, a corn cob will give a nice neutral smoke and if you get a burn-through because you were smoking in the wind, no worries. There was in the '60's a thing called "the pipe." Made by come smoking Cape Canaveril engineers, its bowl was pyrolitic graphite. It gave a fantastic dead neutral smoke - no cake to build and no break-in. Because it was utterly impervious to vapor, it could not absorb the water. Rather, you packed loosely and vapor evaporated out the top, giving the smoking a cooler dryer smoke. Never really made it in the market as too many briar guys couldn't get the hang of the different packing. THey also tried fashion statements with some horrid pastel colors. But if I ever see another anywhere anytime I'll grab it, against a day when I'll smoke again. It's the perfect pipe for the hard smoker on deck or atop a mountain.

G'luck

Andrew Craig-Bennett
12-04-2010, 07:49 AM
I used to smoke Three Nuns - no longer made. I miss smoking a pipe and intend to re-start.

Ron Williamson
12-04-2010, 07:55 AM
My grandpa smoked Amphora.
I'm not a smoker,but the memory of the fresh smoke aroma takes me back to my childhood.
The pipe itself and the ashtray were truly disgusting.
R

callsign222
12-04-2010, 08:02 AM
My Savinelli churchwarden is my special occasions/reflection pipe, but other than that I have a smattering collection of pipe seconds I pull out of the second basket at assorted shops. I'm definitely preferential to aromatic blends rather than the english blends-- call me a wussy. I try to get my tobacco at local tobacconist shops where ever I may be, and pick up a few blends, the commercial bags at the gas station/convenience store really can't hold a candle to house blends. I highly suggest Rich's in Portland, OR with a real nice variety and a crazy Master Blender who gave me a long diatribe about being a Master Blender ("You need to know your mathematics! And soil types! And meteorology! I am the last of a dying breed!" True story, I thought he was going to kick me out of the store).

If anyone is in downtown Fort Wayne, IN, there is a little one there too-- Reigels, with a crazy young guy 3rd generation tobacconist who will blend on demand-- for my buddy serving in Iraq he blended "Cosmic Tobacco Smorgasbord for Your Smoking Pleasure" and it was quite the theater to watch him blend it, much fun. My buddy overseas really enjoyed it.

Lake Placid has With Pipe and Book, a most worthwhile stop if you're in the Adirondacks and looking for tobacco and/or a book or map. It's a great store. They have one of my favorite blends, that now reminds me of happy carefree times living, working, and playing in the ADK's. I would mention however that they continuously threaten to close but never seem to do so. A close second in the Northeast is Garcia Tobacco in Burlington which has a most enjoyable sweet maple blend. Hmmm Hmmmmm!

Since I don't live out west, no longer travel to IN, and no longer live in the ADK's, I'm coasting on my amassed collection as of now. I need to find a good local hole-in-the-wall place in central NH.

Tobago
12-04-2010, 08:16 AM
What? You can put tobacco in a pipe?

Wooden Boat Fittings
12-04-2010, 09:24 AM
I too miss smoking a pipe, having given it up for cigars ten years ago, and then given up smoking altogether five years later. I'd love to go back but I can't afford to as I've developed emphysema. C'est la vie.... (At least I still have un vie.)

After trying many different brands, this became my favourite tobacco for I suppose about thirty years --

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:i5_mAHza09XDkM:http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/5967/erinmore.jpg&t=1

Good solid Irish flake -- in 2 oz tins like this one too, not these newfangled grams. I still have dozens of them around the place with stuff stored in them.

"Tobacco is a dirty weed.
I like it.
It satisfies no normal need.
I like it.
It makes you thin,
It makes you lean,
It takes the hair right of your bean,
It's the worst damn' stuff I've ever seen.
I like it."

Mike

McMike
12-04-2010, 09:50 AM
I started smoking a pipe when I was 27 and did for a year or so, I stopped after I was told it made me look like I was "trying" to look like an old man, I think they called me pretentious and stinky. I still have my pipe but I haven't smoked it in 10 years. I think now I'm afraid if I light it up it might bring back my addiction to cigarettes and it took me long enough to break that habit. When I lived in Cinncy, OH I used to go to the Straus Tobacconist, I don't remember the name of blend I smoked.

BarnacleGrim
12-04-2010, 10:33 AM
I keep licorice pipes in my tobacco jar, along with a piece of twist for flavour. Healthier that way.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
12-04-2010, 10:46 AM
I started smoking a pipe when I was 27 and did for a year or so, I stopped after I was told it made me look like I was "trying" to look like an old man, I think they called me pretentious and stinky. I still have my pipe but I haven't smoked it in 10 years. I think now I'm afraid if I light it up it might bring back my addiction to cigarettes and it took me long enough to break that habit. When I lived in Cinncy, OH I used to go to the Straus Tobacconist, I don't remember the name of blend I smoked.

That's exactly my concern - the fear of being lured back to the gaspers. So I have decided that when I become an old man, and don't care, I will resume pipe smoking, because it won't matter then and I won't have other things to worry about.

Rich Jones
12-04-2010, 10:51 AM
I smoked a pipe during college and about ten years after. But then my kindergarten- aged daughter told me that the pipe made me "stink". That, plus a grandfather who died of throat cancer, got me to quit. I still miss it after twenty years. Might take it up again in retirement, sitting on the porch in my rocking chair.

Cuyahoga Chuck
12-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Smoked a pipe from the time I was 24 till 41. That was more than 30 years ago. Started when I was in the army. My favorite tobacco was Balken Sobrany (sic). Just gave all my old pipes the deep six about a year ago. There was an Oom Paul and a meersham among them.The only thing left is a pretty green tobacco jar with a wooden lid.
There are many resons for not starting or not continuing which I won't go in to.
When I finally quit smoking I took up running. Ran the Buffalo Turkey trot 5 miler on Thanksgiving.
56 min. 21 sec., 13th out of 43 in the 70-74 age bracket.

zertgold
12-04-2010, 01:57 PM
These are worth trying. The aren't aromatics, but do have a pleasant room note.

Frog Morton on the Bayou
http://www.pipetobacco.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/MTTFMB.jpg

Frog Morton: Across The Pond
http://www.tobaccoblends.com.au/images/fmacross.jpg

There are a few other Frog Mortons, all worth a try.

andrewe
12-04-2010, 02:13 PM
I liked the idea of pipes. My Uncle gave me a corn cob at aged 4 (!) But my F-I-L died of bladder cancer, which is a common result of pipe smokers. I am happy I have not used the weed (any sort) since my teens.
A

McMike
12-04-2010, 02:16 PM
That's exactly my concern - the fear of being lured back to the gaspers. So I have decided that when I become an old man, and don't care, I will resume pipe smoking, because it won't matter then and I won't have other things to worry about.

:D Ha!!!! That's what I keep telling myself. Isn't sad the things we do to justify addiction . . .:D

McMike
12-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Here's my one and only pipe. I think I picked it up for $30-$40 ten years ago.

http://q7koqw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pSNLWERQsp0Oiw0v-2EaoLARBuSvQ0BMe34TuUM-65OvBqBB97Brsj3kS-xYwALkWBVGkYjocyqcQxtaqP3UNE_2SMVIboW5_/IMG_1494.JPG?psid=1 (http://q7koqw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pSNLWERQsp0Oiw0v-2EaoLARBuSvQ0BMe8aeRJ6ysStlbFfYgCoVcqC9eebWl3-qgc8g0ooVJG7ZY1HI1-Z6fADPUlrc2ukkR/IMG_1494.JPG?psid=1)

john l
12-04-2010, 07:57 PM
My favorite tobacco used to be Dunhill Aparitif. Haven't found it in a few years. Over the last year or so I've enjoyed "Skiff Mixture" by Samuel Gawith's from the English Lakeland area. It's light but quite nice. A little like Dunhill's Early Morning Mix, but a touch stronger. I've also been enjoying
Artisan's Blend by Ashton. It's a full bodied English mixture of Virginia and Turkish tobaccos that harmonize Syrian Latakia and a touch of Perique. It's rich and spicy and very satisfying. I think
I'll pack a bowl now, It's been over a week or so since my last smoke.

htom
12-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Gave up tobacco over twenty years ago. Mostly cigarettes, but I had a handful of pipes (and remember The Pipe, but didn't have one.) I don't remember which of the common brands I enjoyed; girl friends were always giving me things like cherry or strawberry or gardenia or ... all of which I hated.

McMike
12-04-2010, 08:57 PM
I hate the flavored stuff. Kind of like wine coolers, water or ice in the scotch, and menthol smokes; if you can't take the taste like it was intended then don't smoke or drink it. A bit of a purist I am.

troutman
12-04-2010, 09:39 PM
I have two from Petersons Of Dublin. One will be in my mouth tomorrow in the pre dawn as I cast toward the Varazono Bridge for stripers. It will be cold but reports are encouraging. I like to light up the pipe while working on my little boat. I smoke Chestnut Delight from the Chestnut street tobacco shop at 8th and Chestnut st in Philadelphia.

bobbys
12-04-2010, 09:55 PM
I tried a pipe when younger but never could do the pipe look.

I do not want to ever go back to cigarettes so will not pick up any tobacco product.

However i will try and sit next to anyone smoking a pipe or cigar and enjoy a whiff or 2.

David G
12-04-2010, 10:27 PM
I think that's the most common comment people make about me smoking a pipe. "Boy that smells good." My wife doesn't like it, but most people really like walking into the office or the shop when I've had a pipe burning.

Glen Longino
12-05-2010, 11:19 AM
bump

McMike
12-05-2010, 11:21 AM
I tried a pipe when younger but never could do the pipe look.

What do you think, were they right or is it me?:D:D:o

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p9l8ykYD7nfuYGooweYDjjXxWJ1XcBjVHILchKKb6LozaJWs TO7M-YA4CDOQe8GsffcqIavadCGsz1xU4lRObDw/IMG_1500%5B1%5D.JPG?psid=1 (http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pwduclEDlh3AhEgkb7jBwm-lv5t8fJVWGZAlKYXP7JQVdC8vPf4nCbB6wfKcGgSziAEUvJnyr QEQj4KCjBBcPMA/IMG_1500%5B1%5D.JPG?psid=1)

62816inBerlin
12-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Started smoking a pipe occasionally at 17 and have been doing so ever since, but for one reason or another haven't touched them in the last two years, although a well-sealed tin of rum & maple sits on the bookshelf. My absolute favourite was the Balkan Sobranie which unfortunately had a strong tarry aroma which many people dislike.
Gernot H.

trefor
02-02-2011, 10:16 AM
I really like smoking a pipe, but don't much since my daughter was born a couple of years ago. I smoke occasionally when working on my boat project, when sailing on a lazy-winded afternoon or when camping and hiking. I will sometimes bring it out with me when out to get a beer with friends, but I ask if people around me mind, in doing so. I get some funny looks from the trendy types, being 38 but looking quite a bit younger (so I'm told). I just chalk it up to early-onset eccentricity.

Trevor

S.V. Airlie
02-02-2011, 11:09 AM
I used to and I also used to chew lemons..my dentist love me.

TomF
02-02-2011, 11:23 AM
I intend to start when I turn 70; just over 21 years to go. I smoked a pipe on stage in a production some years ago, and loved it ... perhaps too much.

I've always loved the smell of the various pipe tobacco blends, whether lit or unlit. The only part I didn't like was the taste in my mouth the next day.

Lew Barrett
02-02-2011, 11:51 AM
I think that's the most common comment people make about me smoking a pipe. "Boy that smells good." My wife doesn't like it, but most people really like walking into the office or the shop when I've had a pipe burning.

Whatever it was you were smoking the other day smelled fabulous.

David G
02-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Whatever it was you were smoking the other day smelled fabulous.

Yes, a very common reaction. I've got 4 in rotation at the moment, so I don't know what it was. Might have been the last of the Boar's Head from Rich's.

Lew Barrett
02-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Rich's smells fabulous all on it's own! We went back to John's place, sat on his porch and smoked a pair of victory cigars. John humored me and gave it a good try, but I actually smoked mine down to the nub.

They didn't smell as good as your pipe did though. Cigars rarely do.

David G
02-02-2011, 01:27 PM
No... cigars taste great (at least the good ones do)... but seem to smell uniformly hideous. It's been years since I smoked one, because I really don't like the smell they leave on me, my clothes, or what ever room I'm in. Sounds like you enjoyed yours. Are you all recovered from your jaunt? I haven't gotten over to see the new dinghy yet, but I shall. Have you ever considered a pipe? It'd look sharp with your Greek Fisherman's Hat <G>

trefor
02-03-2011, 12:43 PM
I like a cigar on occasion, as well. But a pipe turns less noses. I once got told in a local bar that allowed smoking of cigarettes that I couldn't smoke my pipe. I guess in fear that it would offend someone. I couldn't believe it. Even the worst of pipe tobaccos generally smells better than an off-the-shelf cigarette. I was smoking one that smelled a little like coffee. If anything, it was helping the atmosphere.

Trevor

Lew Barrett
02-03-2011, 12:52 PM
No... cigars taste great (at least the good ones do)... but seem to smell uniformly hideous. It's been years since I smoked one, because I really don't like the smell they leave on me, my clothes, or what ever room I'm in. Sounds like you enjoyed yours. Are you all recovered from your jaunt? I haven't gotten over to see the new dinghy yet, but I shall. Have you ever considered a pipe? It'd look sharp with your Greek Fisherman's Hat <G>

To misquote the famous line by PC Ford: "Nothing looks sharp with a Greek fisherman's hat."

I haven't tried to smoke a pipe in years. Every previous attempt resulted in dismal failure. It may be that I have been too impatient to get the desired result, or have never had the proper pipe, tobacco and technique. But getting a pipe to work has so far eluded me.

David G
02-03-2011, 01:42 PM
To misquote an infamous, and usually muttered under his breath, line from that same starry-eyed idealist, "First, one has to be smarter than the pipe." But... now that I think about it, that's obviously a canard. I can, you can't. Just the opposite of what one would expect <G> Buy yourself a decent pipe and some 'baccy. I'll loan you a lovely book my employees gave me on the history and use of pipes. I'll even give you lessons while we drink your rum... ];^)

Lew Barrett
02-03-2011, 04:45 PM
To drink my rum, you will have to drag ass to Seattle. I'd be happy to see that!

David G
02-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Just 'cause you happen to have visited recently... you think you have room to talk! But when was the last time before that that you visited me in Portland? Answer me that! At your age, you probably can't even remember one example <G> And, anyway - who wants to visit Seattle? The traffic! The TRAFFIC!!! Arrrggggghhhh!!!! Besides, last time I came up to see you, you hopped on your boat and ran away before I could even get there. Some hospitality, that!

<you like the way I'm telling this story? maybe I should work for Fox, eh?>

Anyway - if you want to take up the pipe, we can make it happen. The kids tell me that you can not only smoke tobacco, but all manner of other interesting things as well. Maybe even your own blend of run-soaked 'baccy. I, of course, wouldn't know - so shall have to take their word for it.

NickW
02-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Evening All

I've smoked a pipe for 30-odd years now but have not smoked in the house for 10 or more since SWMBO started having chest problems.

I've half a dozen pipes or so but my favorites are the 3 Peterson System pipes I have, http://www.peterson.ie/pipes/system-shape-chart.html none of mime are shown on the chart, most probably because they're so old. I got to repair one as it burnt a hole in the bottom through a slight latent defect in the briar. As to tobaccos, I started of with Player's Exmoor Hunt (discontinued oh 25 + years ago) then Erinmore Mixture (changed when they altered the recipie) then Gold Block, the original tin stuff of golden virgina and black cavandish. When GB changed from tins to pouches, and substituted burley for the black cavandish I still smoked it. Mind you, a couple of years back GB changed the mix again and I've not smoked it since.

These days I smoke either Radford's Old Scotch or Gawith, Hoggarth & Co's Kendal Sweet Peach. Occasionally I might get an ounce or so of Gawith, Hoggarth & Co'sAmerican Delight for a change. Whatever, I've given up buying pre-packed mass produced stuff as being generally cr*p. Thankfully, I've got a specialist baccy shop just up the road http://www.loosetobacco.co.uk/ .

Kind Regards and off out for a smoke

Nick

bob winter
02-04-2011, 08:07 AM
Nick,

I didn't know you could repair a burnt through pipe. Did you do it yourself or send it out. One of my old favourites burnt through a few years ago and it would like to get it repaired if it is possible.

I have well over 50 pipes but tend to stick to a few. Too much so, likely.

NickW
02-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Bob,

The answer, as always, is it depends. Mine is a small hole, about 2mm diameter. When I find my tap and die set again (misplaced in recent move), I going to slowly drill the hole out until I get enough depth to tap a thread through. Then I get a piece of rose tree (again, I've got some cut off pieces somewhere) and cut a matching thread. I'll glue the thread in using white glue (PVA) and then finish off outside and in. If you ask at your local baccy shop, I dare say they'll know someone who does pipe repairs professionally. My perennial problem is finding replacement mouthpieces.

Nick

botebum
02-04-2011, 08:57 AM
I smoked a Grabow stuffed with Capt. Black(white package) years ago. Usually just in the fall and winter months.
Gave up all smoking about 6 or 7 years ago after the Doc told me that if I kept it up I'd be dead in five years. Even with that incentive, it was the hardest thing I've ever done. Took a year and a half to quit completely.

Doug