PDA

View Full Version : Kindle...yes, or no?

Nanoose
12-02-2010, 10:05 PM
I have an iPhone, and there's a Kindle app for that.
Good enuf?
Anyone have iPhone and Kindle that can advise?
If yes to Kindle, which one?
thx.
d

peb
12-02-2010, 10:12 PM
I have had a kindle for about 9 months now. Use it a lot, like it a lot. I have the previous model (the second version). Here are my thoughts. If you are using it to read books such as novels or biographies that are read straight through, its a good deal. If you are using it to travel, its a good deal. If you are reading outside or really like reading from something that seems like paper, as opposed to a screen, its a good deal. If you want to read reference material, ie lots of paging around in a normal book, its very poorly equipped. If you want to do anything else besides reading (ie web browsing, email), it is not the product. It is what it is, a very good device for reading novels and likesuch. Seeing some of the things that can be done with the tablet computers, I have to wonder if I would rather have one of those for a reader, but I think the screen would get tiring when reading. The new color nook from Barnes and Noble looked interesting the 30 seconds I played with it.

I will keep my kindle for another year or so and hopefully a non-apple tablet will be available that will do what I need and be a very good reader also.

peb
12-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Which one? get the $139 wi-fi without 3g, IMO. Mine older one relies solely on 3g, and the 3g is nice when wanting a new book while on the go, but if that is not common, I am sure the wi-fi will be sufficient. The store is very slow and cumbersome to use on the kindle itself, I normally do the shopping on the computer and have it sent to my kindle.

Phillip Allen
12-02-2010, 10:15 PM
what's a kindle?

James McMullen
12-02-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm using an iPad instead of a Kindle and I like it ever so much better. It does everything and anything a Kindle or any other ebook reader will do and so very much more besides.

Keith Wilson
12-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Not until I can share files like I can share paper books.

Joe (SoCal)
12-02-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm using an iPad instead of a Kindle and I like it ever so much better. It does everything and anything a Kindle or any other ebook reader will do and so very much more besides.

+1.

Nanoose
12-02-2010, 10:23 PM

James - some note the preferable size and weight of the kindle over the iPad. Thoughts?

Nanoose
12-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Not until I can share files like I can share paper books.

GOod point.
I guess I like the idea of being able to read, note, highlight and have all those books with me instead of at home on the shelf.
Yet, I'll still have books on the shelf, as you can't always get the book you want in a Kindle version...

zertgold
12-02-2010, 10:26 PM
I think the advantage of the kindle, nook, kobo, or sony reader is their battery life. I don't think any device can beat these devices when it comes to this.
Also they are a little cheaper, so you don't cry as much when step on them.

SMARTINSEN
12-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Trying to lure Norman out of his shell, Nanoose?

Nanoose
12-02-2010, 11:54 PM
Norm has a shell?
Since when?

Are you saying he'd have an opinion on the question?

wingnut247
12-03-2010, 03:27 AM
Kindle'n is for start'n Farrs.

The kindle is not back lit... or at least was not last I looked. Reading in low light sucks. At night, in bed, or on a plane... yuck.

The Ipadd is still over priced (and lacks flash support... but that is another point that is off this topic). However with the rise of other tablets the Ipadd will have to come down a little in price or be overtaken.

If money does not matter and you can't wait... get the Ipadd. Not just because the text will look 42 times better on it's display... but because it is ALSO a computer that can browse the net and has with a bazillion programs (including some good navigation apps). My experience with friends that have the Ipadd is that the Battery Life is very good.

The Ipadd has be around for a bit. The next model should be out soon. It might be worth waiting for that.

I use my Iphone and Stanza... more free classic books then I could ever read. That and real books. That works fine for me... but I get to swamped for much reading.

My 3 cents

Captain Intrepid
12-03-2010, 08:55 AM
I use an iPad with a Kindle application, and iBooks. Lets me read any book they sell, plus do all kinds of computery things, and display diagrams and photos in all their glory. I don't see much of a point of an ebook reader that can't display images properly as I use it for all manner of documents. It was kind of expensive, but I got a deal on one, and for the amount I use it, it's definitely worth it. The only downside I'd say compared with the kindle and sony ready is the battery life, it'll only last a couple days of heavy use without recharging, but since I tend to sleep at night that's never been an issue.

willmarsh3
12-03-2010, 10:48 AM
+1 for the iPad because of its much greater functionality. I would want a single device that I can use everyday for a lot of things rather than have it sit in a drawer for three months between uses. Some newspapers such as the Washington Post are coming out with iPad editions.

I got a Kindle app for my iPhone and it works great. I've read one novel and started two others with this. I can read in the dark or less than ideal lighting without any problems.

I have two questions about the Kindle though
1) Can I back up the Kindle to the computer
2) Can I transfer stuff between the Kindle and say the Kindle App on the iPhone?

OTOH I can argue for getting a Kindle because it's much cheaper and has a wide market share. I learned my lesson about avoiding oddball hardware that might be hard to find accessories and chargers for and that might be orphaned soon.

Joe (SoCal)
12-03-2010, 11:00 AM
iPad News: Kindle Losing Market Share to iPad

http://www.ipad.net/ipad-news-kindle-losing-market-share-to-ipad.html

The Kindle is still high on many gift lists this year, but Amazon’s e-reader is rapidly losing ground to Apple’s iPad. Could that be due to the popular tab’s versatility?

We’ve been hearing for the last several months that the iPad has “cannibalized” sales of netbooks, and now the same thing is happening to the most popular e-reader. According to a new survey by ChangeWave research, the Kindle is “rapidly” losing its share of the e-reader market. How rapidly? In the period from August to November, Amazon saw the market share for its e-reader drop from 62 percent to 47 percent, while the iPad’s share rose from 16 percent to 32 percent. Sony’s “Reader” line and the Barnes & Noble Nook straggled far behind with 5 percent and 4 percent, respectively.

More disturbingly for Amazon, ChangeWave found that only 54 percent of the Kindle owners were satisfied with their devices, while a whopping 75 percent of iPad owners were. Do these figures mean the buyers of dedicated e-readers want more from their purchases? The biggest selling point of the Kindle is it’s low price—$139 for the low-end model while iPads start at $499, but the latter get a lot more bang for their bucks. The Kindle is great if all you want to do is read, but most of us prefer to do plenty more than that.

What can Amazon do to compete with the iPad? The company is already selling the Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device with a 9.7 display for $379, which is $120 less than the iPad but lacking its apps and other features. Amazon could beef up the Kindle DX into a stronger competitor for the iPad, but I doubt they could offer it at a price attractive enough to take business away from Apple. It’s more likely that Amazon will concentrate on the lower-end market and keep dropping the price of the Kindle to lock in the segment of the market that wants a device solely for reading.]

pefjr
12-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Get the 189.00 3g Kindle and sit back and enjoy. They're great. Try Kindle PC for free first if not sure. I wish I could find the kindle cursor dictionary for PC, that is a very nice feature for Kindle, especially for the vocabulary disadvantaged like me.

John of Phoenix
12-03-2010, 11:24 AM
I have two questions about the Kindle though
1) Can I back up the Kindle to the computer
2) Can I transfer stuff between the Kindle and say the Kindle App on the iPhone?

Yes and both are free. Go to the Kindle page at Amazon to download the computer app. The iPhone app link is available there too. I also have a Kindle app on my Droid. http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=sa_menu_karl3?ie=UTF8&docId=1000493771

Keith, that might be a way to share your Ebooks.

For those with Android system phones, Aldiko is worth a look. A free EReader with access to thousands of free books.
http://www.aldiko.com/index.html

Nanoose
12-03-2010, 10:44 PM
thanks for all the input.

I see the draw of getting the iPad over the Kindle, but what I like about the Kindle is it's size/weight, battery life, and $139. Also, the ability to have books on both the kindle and my MacBook, and to highlight them, make notes on them, and have it all searchable is appealing.

Thanks for the article, Joe.
Perhaps I should wait and see where the kindle price settles, but at $139 it's still pretty good.

Also, the idea of downloading the free app to my MacBook, buying a book and seeing what I think before investing in the kindle was a good idea.

Thanks again.

Wooden Boat Fittings
12-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Am I right in thinking that the only books available for Kindle have to come from Amazon? That would be a real negative for me -- I hate being held captive to a basic product for any of the things I can use with it.

Mike

Joe (SoCal)
12-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Just no way the kindle can do "Lush" page turning like the iPad can. Notice the text on the flip is ACTUAL text. It's the little things that are stunning.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m320/fosterhere/d3f3cb06.png

And for your NY TIMES free FULL SECTIONS app with COLOR

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m320/fosterhere/a1aae001.png

Joe (SoCal)
12-04-2010, 12:16 PM
It's super-cool, Joe.... but you can't get around the fact that

1) It's three times the price, or more
2) it's heavy
3) battery life is hours, not weeks
4) 3G access costs a lot more, for both the machine, as well as the monthly charge

1) You get TWENTY times the computer for three times the price. ;)
2) Since when is 1.5 pounds heavy ???? Dude get to the gym ;)
3) I don't know for me Up to 10 hours of READING , surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music is pretty good. Also STANDBY between READING , surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music is DAYS !!!!
4) 3G cost nothing for me I tether to my iPhone ;)

5) I've posted everything in this thread FROM my iPad, try that with a kindle :)

But the MOST important reason NOT buy a Kindle is the lock and strong arm tactics Amazon tried to pressure the publishing industry with. Since Amazon was pretty much the only venue and also pretty much the only device to read ebooks they told publishers what they would pay for hard copies and ebooks and if the publishers wanted their books on Amazon they did as Amazon told them. Now with Apple's iBook store and the iPad publishers and magazines and newspapers can tell Amazon to go to hell if they want ;) Fee market competition is gooood ;)

pefjr
12-04-2010, 12:22 PM
I would NOT buy the 139.00 model unless it is to be used in one location that has wi-fi access and never moved. For 50.00 more you can download and use internet from Amazon while traveling and it's free and available almost everywhere I have been. Plus , you will want to upgrade in a couple/three yrs. and your resale will be higher. That's the best 50.00 investment I could find anywhere. I read WBF and any internet site on my kindle traveling through Idaho, Utah, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, California(off the coast too), Montana, Az. and only lost signal for a few minutes in a few steep mountainous areas. You can also email but it is slower than wi-fi.

Old Dryfoot
12-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Not looking to cause a spat here, I already did that in another thread yesterday, apology thread to follow... :D
But... you could get all of the functionality of the iPad at a lower cost in an Android based device. I have just ordered the 16GB 10.1" Archos101 (http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_101it/index.html?country=ca&lang=en) at a cost of $349.00 US, an 8GB version is available for $299 US. Demand is very high for this pad at the moment and it's making it hard to find in stock at many retailers. Though this seems to be the norm at the moment with all of the larger Android based tablets, demand is that high. When mine arrives if you like I could meet you at a Timmies for coffee and you could test drive it. Regardless of what route you choose I would opt for a pad of any flavor over a Kindle.

Joe (SoCal)
12-04-2010, 12:47 PM
You get what you pay for - good luck with that ;)
No apologies needed ;)

Joe (SoCal)
12-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Norman are you sure you get the NYT on your kindle ;)

Math of Publishing Meets the E-Book

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/01/business/media/01ebooks.html?_r=1

What I was trying to say about Amazon with its Kindle was the only e-book player so it got to call the shots. Amazon would pay the publisher $6.99 and then sell the book for $9.99. Publishers could take it or leave it because the Kindle was the only game in town. Then along came the iPad. Apple wants to use the same model for e-books that made the iTunes App Store a runaway success. Publishers can set a higher price for the consumer (like $12.99) and Apple would just take a 30% cut. Guess which system the publishers liked. There was a lot of info packed in the “Times” breakdown but three things stood out. First, shipping and printing gives the standard hardcover book (with a retail price of $26) an atoms cost of $3.25. E-books have to be cheaper because that cost disappears. No dah, right? Another ho-hum finding is that publishers will make a greater profit with the Apple model ($4.56 to $5.54 on a $12.99 iPad e-book) than with the Amazon’s ($3.51 to $4.26 on a $9.99 Kindle e-book). But the more interesting result is that with the Apple model, publishers will make a larger profit on an e-book than on a standard hardback book. On the high side, a publisher could make about $1.50 more selling an e-book than they would the hardback. So sure, publishers love the Apple way. But the justification they gave for preferring Apple’s higher price was the most surprising.

Steve Paskey
12-04-2010, 01:50 PM
I'm surprised that no one has suggested the possibility of a color Nook from Barnes and Noble.

CNET did a good article a few weeks ago on Kindle v. Nook v. iPad:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20009738-1.html

I'm seriously thinking about getting a color Nook -- at $249, it's half the cost of the low-end iPad.

I don't own a smartphone, primarily because I refuse to pay an extra $30 a month for the data connection. And I just can't bring myself to spend $500 on an iPad, in part because it's just to big and bulky to carry everywhere.

I currently carry an iPod touch that I use mostly to check email on wifi connections, but I also use it to browse the web very occasionally or listen to music. The Nook Color will do all of those things, and on a larger (7 inch) screen. Plus, it supports ePub (the open ebook standard) and you can lend your ebooks to other people -- Kindle is a no-go on both points.

The Nook is certainly a compromise, but it does what I need for a much lower price than the iPad, and in an easier-to-carry size.

Old Dryfoot
12-04-2010, 01:52 PM
You get what you pay for...

Yup, and if I ever feel the need for an electronically based superiority complex I'll buy an Apple product. ;)

Joe (SoCal)
12-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Yup, and if I ever feel the need for an electronically based superiority complex I'll buy an Apple product. ;)

So I assume your posting on the WBF via one of these ?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5c/Trs80_2.jpg

LOL :D

Joe (SoCal)
12-04-2010, 02:06 PM
How about Apples share of the Kindle market :)

http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/handheld/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=228500080&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All

Kindle Rapidly Losing Share To iPad

E-reader market penetration for Apple's tablet computer has increased 16 percentage points since August, while Amazon's device has fallen almost an equal amount, a consumer survey shows.

By Antone Gonsalves (http://www.informationweek.com/authors/showAuthor.jhtml;jsessionid=MNYBZHPMHJILDQE1GHPSKH WATMY32JVN?authorID=1077) , InformationWeek (http://www.informationweek.com/;jsessionid=MNYBZHPMHJILDQE1GHPSKHWATMY32JVN)
December 1, 2010 03:02 PM

Since August, Amazon.com's Kindle has been losing share in the e-reader market to Apple's iPad, and the trend shows no sign of letting up, a survey shows.

From Aug. 1 to Nov. 8, the Kindle's share fell 15 percentage points to 47% of the market, according to ChangeWave Research. In the same timeframe, the iPad's share rose 16 percentage points to 32%. The rest of the market includes the Sony Reader at 5%, and the Barnes and Noble Nook with 4%.
The study, released Tuesday, also found major differences in the content read on the devices. A total of 93% of Kindle owners use the device for reading books, compared to 76% for iPad users. The Kindle was not used nearly as frequently for reading newspapers, magazines, blogs and newsfeeds. People were five times more likely to read newspapers and magazines on the iPad and 15 times more likely to read blogs and newsfeeds.
The iPad's acceptance as a device for reading content other than books indicates that Apple chief executive Steve Jobs is fulfilling his promise to develop alternative types of media on the iPad. The survey also adds credence to recent reports that News Corp. is developing an electronic newspaper for the tablet, ChangeWave says.
As the holiday shopping season begins, consumer demand for e-readers remains strong, ChangeWave says. Over the next 90 days, 5% of the respondents in the survey say they are "very likely" to buy an e-reader and 10% are "somewhat likely."
Apple is expected to benefit the most from this pool of potential buyers and increase its share of the market over the holiday season, ChangeWave says. Among those respondents planning to buy an e-reader, 42% are "most likely" to buy an iPad and 33% a Kindle.
Sales of the iPad show that Apple has lots of momentum heading into the holiday season. The company introduced the iPad April 3 and sold 300,000 units the first day. In the first 80 days, Apple sold 2 million units. Strategy Analytics estimates the iPad commands a 95% share (http://www.informationweek.com/news/smb/hardware_software/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=228100064) of the tablet computing market.

Old Dryfoot
12-04-2010, 02:33 PM
So I assume your posting on the WBF via one of these ?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5c/Trs80_2.jpg

Nah I gots me a nice shiny 'puter...

18.4" of glorious Sony
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/10/10-4-08-sony-vaio-aw.jpg

Soon to be complimented by one of these...

http://phandroid.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/archos-101-620x347.jpg

Nanoose
12-04-2010, 02:40 PM
I would NOT buy the 139.00 model unless it is to be used in one location that has wi-fi access and never moved. For 50.00 more you can download and use internet from Amazon while traveling and it's free and available almost everywhere I have been. Plus , you will want to upgrade in a couple/three yrs. and your resale will be higher. That's the best 50.00 investment I could find anywhere. I read WBF and any internet site on my kindle traveling through Idaho, Utah, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, California(off the coast too), Montana, Az. and only lost signal for a few minutes in a few steep mountainous areas. You can also email but it is slower than wi-fi.

Hey, Puffy -
Wi-fi is available many places; I have 3G on my phone for internet while in the car/out of wi-fi access, so that wouldn't concern me.
Not sure what you mean by resale in a couple/three years. It seems the technology changes so fast - can't imagine a $189 kindle being worth even $50 in 2-3 years, so you lost me there.

Joe (SoCal)
12-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Bleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack :( ewwwwwwwwwwww look at those FUGLY GUI's akkkkkkk my Eyes.

Also tell me how that FUGLY Archos is a comparable ebook reader to the ipad and the kindle as pertaining to this thread ?

http://mashable.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/ipad-3g.jpg
http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/macbook-air.jpg

http://www.newmacbook.org/img/upload/macbook-air-2.JPG

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so much better ;)

pefjr
12-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Hey, Puffy -
Wi-fi is available many places; I have 3G on my phone for internet while in the car/out of wi-fi access, so that wouldn't concern me.
Not sure what you mean by resale in a couple/three years. It seems the technology changes so fast - can't imagine a $189 kindle being worth even $50 in 2-3 years, so you lost me there.Yes wi fi is available but not the coverage of Amazon. The convenience is worth the 50 bucks to me for travel and for boaters. You are probably right about the resale going to zip as wi fi gets more coverage. Today I would not buy the 139 model for those reasons. When ipad price comes down it will hurt Amazon unless they compete with something new. But today, you can't beat kindle 189 model for book reading. IMO

Nanoose
12-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Trained as a designer (if I'm remembering correctly), you place a high priority on aesthetics, Joe. You're very aware of line, and it is important to you..it gives you pleasure and is, I think, an essential aspect of your purchasing decisions. I also place a high value on aesthetics, and I know it. When facing software purchasing decisions, given three that essentially do the same thing, I buy the one with the UI I like the best. It makes me happy to use it, and I know I will use it.

Silly? Perhaps. But I know it matters to me.

I also know it doesn't matter to a lot of other people. They 'see' other features.

Amazing that we have so many choices - enough to keep us all happy! :)

Keith Wilson
12-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Y'know, the iPad's a perfectly nice little tablet computer, but comparing it with an e-book reader is a little silly. An iPad costs at least $500, normally closer to $800, and does a bunch of things well, one of which is to display electronic books. Any of the readers cost much less and do only one thing well. Do you need a full-size stove or will a toaster oven do what you want?

McMike
12-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Bleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack :( ewwwwwwwwwwww look at those FUGLY GUI's akkkkkkk my Eyes.

Also tell me how that FUGLY Archos is a comparable ebook reader to the ipad and the kindle as pertaining to this thread ?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so much better ;)

:d Hey Joe.

http://www.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2006/11/destructoid-dot-com-fanboy-anatomy.jpg

McMike
12-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Even better!!!!!:d:d:d
http://www.lockergnome.com/dannyminick/files/2010/01/34jan29-fanboy.jpg

Joe (SoCal)
12-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Spewwww :D :D

And well said BTW Nanoose
I honestly don't take these things as seriously as you all think its just fun to fanboy it up for the fun of it ;) :D

pefjr
12-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Both AMZN and AAPL are great companies:

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=AAPL+Interactive#chart4:symbol=aapl;rang e=2y;compare=amzn;indicator=volume;charttype=line; crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=on;source=undef ined

Old Dryfoot
12-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Well the Archos, or more to the point Android, can read any format that a Kindle or an iPad can, to believe otherwise is just delusional. Plus I will be able to multitask while I do it... how is that multitasking working out on your iPad?
As for the theme... well that can be changed to anything I wish, I understand themes are a little buggy on the iPad at the moment. Besides it's not about how pretty it looks it's about how well it works. Nes pa? ;)

Keith Wilson
12-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Lordy. Precisely why should I buy a computer because it has a cute plastic case? The damn thing's a tool. I don't buy wrenches because of the elegant font that says "S-K 15mm". http://www.dbstalk.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Yeah, I know, Joe you're not being really serious; I'm just practicing to be an old grump. I'll have it down in a couple of years.

Old Dryfoot
12-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Mountain Dew and Cheetos.... ewwwwww!!!

Joe (SoCal)
12-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Lordy. Precisely why should I buy a computer because it has a cute plastic case? The damn thing's a tool. I don't buy wrenches because of the elegant font that says "S-K 15mm". http://www.dbstalk.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Yeah, I know, Joe you're not being really serious; I'm just practicing to be an old grump. I'll have it down in a couple of years.
There are some BEAUTIFUL wrenches I love the look and feel of a prefect set of ratcheting wrenches

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/popularmechanics/images/Vc/wrench-5-lg.jpg

drool

McMike
12-04-2010, 03:23 PM
There are some BEAUTIFUL wrenches I love the look and feel of a prefect set of ratcheting wrenches

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/popularmechanics/images/Vc/wrench-5-lg.jpg

drool

Looks spensive.

Old Dryfoot
12-04-2010, 03:25 PM
zigackally... :D

Joe (SoCal)
12-04-2010, 03:29 PM
You get what you pay for ;)

Joe (SoCal)
12-04-2010, 03:36 PM
I betcha this boat is cheaper

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_rqLNS-z1IIU/RvUwgPZsvrI/AAAAAAAAAmI/oRJ7VYOW3kk/s1600/Ugly%2BDuckling%2B-%2BA.jpg

http://bp3.blogger.com/_rqLNS-z1IIU/RvUwgPZsvrI/AAAAAAAAAmI/oRJ7VYOW3kk/s1600-h/Ugly+Duckling+-+A.jpg

than this boat

http://images.travelpod.com/users/mainship/1.1247094541.wooden-sailboat.jpg

but their both just tools to get across water right ? ;)

McMike
12-04-2010, 03:36 PM

You've used them? I'm in the market.

Old Dryfoot
12-04-2010, 03:40 PM

Yup, $200 extra for some pretty plastic makes a world of difference. I understand that it increase battery life by 15% too... amazing. ;)

Steve Paskey
12-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Hey Joe ... You have both an iPhone and an iPad, right? How much is AT&T soaking you for data service? Is it $60 a month -- $30 each for the phone and the pad? Or is there some way to avoid paying them twice for the same service?

Nanoose
12-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Joe's phone is...'hotwired'....what's the proper name that I can't think of right now?
And there's no 3g on his iPad; he links it to his phone and uses the data plan he pays for there....if I'm understanding him right.

What the heck is that word....lemmesee....nope...it's gone.
Jailbroke!??!!! Is that it?!

Old Dryfoot
12-04-2010, 07:42 PM
That's the word.

Joe (SoCal)
12-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Joe's phone is...'hotwired'....what's the proper name that I can't think of right now?
And there's no 3g on his iPad; he links it to his phone and uses the data plan he pays for there....if I'm understanding him right.

What the heck is that word....lemmesee....nope...it's gone.
Jailbroke!??!!! Is that it?!

exactly $60 per month TOTAL phone, data and tethered to my ipad FREE

Old Dryfoot
12-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Did you jail break your iPhone also to get away from AT&T or did you just do your iPad?

Edit: just curious for curiosity sake... there is no white flag smiley. :)

Nanoose
12-04-2010, 08:35 PM
And the iPhone programs are different here in Canada than the US, which if I understand conversations here correctly, is only AT&T?

willmarsh3
12-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Sorry for thread drift but if you want to see some serious koolaid drinkers who put everyone on this forum to shame check out MacHeads on Hulu.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/94300/macheads

Getting back to the question at hand I'm glad for all the choices available. Before I get the iPad I feel that the Samsung Galaxy is worth investigating, IMHO. But also check out the Nook as someone posted earlier.

Old Dryfoot
12-04-2010, 08:50 PM
The iPhone and I assume the iPad are good to go on most providers in Canada I believe, Telus, Bell and Rogers for sure. The iPhone in the U.S. is tied to AT&T but I'm pretty sure that you can work around that if you choose to. I don't know if the Appstore is different from the U.S. to Canada, I can't imagine why it would be.

Old Dryfoot
12-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Look around and choose what will work best for what you want to do. Some of the others coming to market soon, if not out already, are the Dell Streak, Viewsonic G Pad and the Blackberry Playbook. In another month or so you choices will increase 5 fold from what they are today.

Steve Paskey
12-04-2010, 09:39 PM
In another month or so you choices will increase 5 fold from what they are today.

And keep in mind that Apple will likely have a new iPad out in March ... And upgrades will be coming to Android and to software on the B&N Nook and the Kindle ...

Unless you absolutely MUST have a new toy now, I'd wait a few months. Things are always changing with this sort of technology, of course, but now is not the best time to buy.

Joe (SoCal)
12-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Did you jail break your iPhone also to get away from AT&T or did you just do your iPad?

Edit: just curious for curiosity sake... there is no white flag smiley. :)

First I jail broke my iPhone from AT&T that's all it took. ;)

Nanoose
12-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Playbook looks pretty great!

Paul Pless
12-04-2010, 09:54 PM
So Nanner. . . what conclusion have you reached? yes or no

Nanoose
12-04-2010, 10:10 PM
I'm feelin' pretty yessish about the Kindle for $139.
Think I'll put it on my Santa wish list. :)

McMike
12-05-2010, 12:40 PM
You won't regret it. If what you want to do is read a book, it's great, and remarkably inexpensive.

Norm! Yer alive!

McMike
12-05-2010, 12:54 PM
I am.. but no longer engage in political discussion here. I'm active on another forum, instead.

Hmm, ok. Glad to hear you are well at least.

Paul Pless
12-05-2010, 12:55 PM
I'm active on another forum, instead.Where?:d

would i be allowed

peb
12-05-2010, 03:50 PM
I watched someone quite a while mess around with an iPad the other day. I would be surprised it it is as good as a kindle/nook for reading a book. It got me thinking about a few other things with the iPad. I think the idea of a tablet computer is pretty neat, but if its battery life is only 4 hours and it does no multi-tasking, it wouldn't be too much more than a toy. I would like a tablet computer, but I would want to be able to pull up and update some of my (very large/fairly complicated) investment spreadsheets while on the road. I would want it to pretty much do a lot of the stuff I do on my laptop, just in a more convineent form factor and ease of use. If not, why have one. I would want it to run my trading software. I have 2 or 3 other programs I would need. Otherwise, just a toy.

The kindle has a purpose, I am not for sure (at least for me) what the purpose of an iPad would be. I have a android phone, and to be honest, beyond texting, the data capabilities are neat, but they are a toy. I don't need a bigger toy.

Old Dryfoot
12-05-2010, 07:12 PM
I'm pretty sure the battery life of an iPad is more than 4 hours, probably in the neighborhood of 10+ hours but that can vary depending on what programs you are running. I think you might be hard pressed to find a laptop that compares on battery life if you are in the market for a mobile computing device. Also the iPad OS is an evolution of the iPhone OS and you can bet that the next incarnation of iOS will include multitasking unless I read Steve Jobs completely wrong, sometime around the 1st quarter 2011.

Joe (SoCal)
12-06-2010, 12:02 AM
I watched someone quite a while mess around with an iPad the other day. I would be surprised it it is as good as a kindle/nook for reading a book. It got me thinking about a few other things with the iPad. I think the idea of a tablet computer is pretty neat, but if its battery life is only 4 hours and it does no multi-tasking, it wouldn't be too much more than a toy. I would like a tablet computer, but I would want to be able to pull up and update some of my (very large/fairly complicated) investment spreadsheets while on the road. I would want it to pretty much do a lot of the stuff I do on my laptop, just in a more convineent form factor and ease of use. If not, why have one. I would want it to run my trading software. I have 2 or 3 other programs I would need. Otherwise, just a toy.

The kindle has a purpose, I am not for sure (at least for me) what the purpose of an iPad would be. I have a android phone, and to be honest, beyond texting, the data capabilities are neat, but they are a toy. I don't need a bigger toy.

Well with my toy, I have signed documents, and can anotate PDF http://www.softwaregarden.com/products/notetakerhd/ and do word processing http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/pages.html email them upload them to a share drive or print them to our wireless printers. Our full inventory of listings in PDF display form, which is great when someone asked me hey Joe what do you got. My Toy has a linked google calendars http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/calendar.html for the office that we all share open houses and up time and listing appointment, we all use drop box http://www.dropbox.com/ to deposit info on the fly. If I'm on the road and I need a document anyone in our office can throw the file in the drop box and it it's available to my iPad. it has a full web browser (flashless), http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/safari.html
4 email addresses. http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/mail.html
It has about 40 apps many business related like a brilliant Zillow app.
http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/app-store.html

For spreadsheet Nuts - Numbers can handle what you wan a throw at it and do it with style.
http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/numbers.html

It has Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music. That's CONTINUAL USE I've had my on unplugged now since Friday and I'm what you would call a heavy user.

With the latest iOS update 4.2 updated last week my TOY multitasks
http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/multitasking.html

and PRINTS.
http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/airprint.html

But the nicest thing about my toy is it now has a digitally signed puchass offer for a $550,000 listing. NOW that's a Toy I like ;)

Chip-skiff
12-06-2010, 02:50 AM
Anyone is allowed, and you'd be a very welcome addition... but I'd rather not say where, since there are a few people here who I think might actually go there, just to harrass me.

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for your WBF service as a thoughtful and intelligent provocateur.

Back to the chase: Since Apple tends to rush products out, I'm waiting for the next generation of the I-Pad.

Old Dryfoot
12-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Kobo, Blackberry and Windows Mobile 7 are also not supported at this time. I think the sticking point is that the Kindle does not support the ePub format. Google is saying "...it is 'open' to supporting the Kindle 'in the future' if Amazon ever decides to get on board.", not saying support for Kindle will happen but I think the door is open.

peb
12-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Joe, I am sure that you find the iPad to be much more than a toy for you, but for me, that is what it would be. Example, you point out Numbers, as a spreadsheet app. Well, that is a good example, I bet it won't come close to doing what I need. I have had other spreadsheets, all supposedly excel compatible, program which fall way short of making most of my critical spreadsheets work. Its just one example of a different level of expectation from software. I will wait for microsoft to come out with a good tablet. When they do, it will likely work with all my critical software, and it will be more reliable and a better product to boot, (if mac OS vs windows track record olds).

Signed: someone who tried to drink the apple cool-aid a couple of years ago, and got burned.

pefjr
12-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Here you go Joe,

I thought about the 30 year business I ran with 1800 employees, all without a Blackberry that played music, took videos, pictures and communicated with Facebook and Twitter.

I signed up under duress for Twitter and Facebook, so my seven kids, their spouses, 13 grandkids and 2 great grand kids could communicate with me in the modern way. I figured I could handle something as simple as Twitter with only 140 characters of space.

That was before one of my grandkids hooked me up for Tweeter, Tweetree, Twhirl, Twitterfon, Tweetie and Twittererific Tweetdeck, Twitpix and something that sends every message to my cell phone and every other program within the texting world.

My phone was beeping every three minutes with the details of everything except the bowel movements of the entire next generation. I am not ready to live like this. I keep my cell phone in the garage in my golf bag.

The kids bought me a GPS for my last birthday because they say I get lost every now and then going over to the grocery store or library. I keep that in a box under my tool bench with the Blue tooth [it's red] phone I am supposed to use when I drive. I wore it once and was standing in line at Barnes and Noble talking to my wife as everyone in the nearest 50 yards was glaring at me. Seems I have to take my hearing aid out to use it, and I got a little loud.

I mean the GPS looked pretty smart on my dash board, but the lady inside was the most annoying, rudest person I had run into in a long time. Every 10 minutes, she would sarcastically say, "Re-calc-ul-ating". You would think that she could be nicer. It was like she could barely tolerate me. She would let go with a deep sigh and then tell me to make a U-turn at the next light. Then when I would make a right turn instead, it was not good.

When I get really lost now, I call my wife and tell her the name of the cross streets and while she is starting to develop the same tone as Gypsy, the GPS lady, at least she loves me.

To be perfectly frank, I am still trying to learn how to use the cordless phones in our house. We have had them for 4 years, but I still haven't figured out how I can lose three phones all at once and have run around digging under chair cushions and checking bathrooms and the dirty laundry baskets when the phone rings.

The world is just getting too complex for me. They even mess me up every time I go to the grocery store. You would think they could settle on something themselves but this sudden "Paper or Plastic?" every time I check out just knocks me for a loop. I bought some of those cloth reusable bags to avoid looking confused, but I never remember to take them in with me.

Now I toss it back to them. When they ask me, "Paper or Plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual." Then it's their turn to stare at me with a blank look.

I was recently asked if I tweet. I answered, No, but I do toot a lot."

Old Dryfoot
12-06-2010, 06:31 PM
When they ask me, "Paper or Plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual." BwaaaHaaaHaaaaa :D:D:D I am so going to be using that line the next time I go to the supermarket...

Salty Sailor
12-06-2010, 06:35 PM
I have investigated the Kindle Ipad and Sony Ebook.

Firstly if you are the type who will read for "hours" then forget the ipad!
It is (backlit) and it will affect your eyes over long periods of reading. r<

Thats why the kindle was designed with the ink screen to replicate a book.

For night time reading you can get the cover with a lamp that shines down on it. Again its still better for your eyes.Y>

The sony Ebook is much the same as the kindle with more touchscreen fuctionality and less buttons. Y>

Joe (SoCal)
12-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Joe, I am sure that you find the iPad to be much more than a toy for you, but for me, that is what it would be. Example, you point out Numbers, as a spreadsheet app. Well, that is a good example, I bet it won't come close to doing what I need. I have had other spreadsheets, all supposedly excel compatible, program which fall way short of making most of my critical spreadsheets work. Its just one example of a different level of expectation from software. I will wait for microsoft to come out with a good tablet. When they do, it will likely work with all my critical software, and it will be more reliable and a better product to boot, (if mac OS vs windows track record olds).

Signed: someone who tried to drink the apple cool-aid a couple of years ago, and got burned.

Try reading more before you assume inadequates

Old Dryfoot
12-06-2010, 07:49 PM
peb when you tried out an Apple did you look into using OpenOffice Calc? It's very capable spreadsheet application on par with Excel and it's also free.

Joe (SoCal)
12-06-2010, 07:53 PM
iPad is capable with ALL spreadsheets indulging google but peb chose not to investigate. His opinion was formed ...... Shame

Nanoose
12-06-2010, 08:10 PM
iPad is capable with ALL spreadsheets indulging google but peb chose not to investigate. His opinion was formed ...... Shame

Gosh. Imagine that, Joe. Having a pre-formed opinion.
;)

Old Dryfoot
12-06-2010, 08:17 PM
It'll be a long wait for a tablet device running Windows that is able to compete with the iPad. Apple and Android will do a very effective job of shutting the door on Microsoft in the tablet market, possibly even locking out RIM, though the Playbook is generating a lot of buzz. It will be interesting to see the sales figures when RIM release their hardware. I don't expect MS to make much of a showing in regards to smart phones either.

peb
12-06-2010, 08:20 PM

Was told the same thing a couple of years ago about apple's spreadsheet software, i am sure it is correct if you use the basic excel features, but anything too fancy, forget about it.

peb
12-06-2010, 08:23 PM
peb when you tried out an Apple did you look into using OpenOffice Calc? It's very capable spreadsheet application on par with Excel and it's also free.

I did try openOffice, others were star Office, I can't forget the other ones, but two or three, all of them claimed excel compatibility, all of them had about a 50% success rate. Visual basic embeded in your spreadsheet, forget it. Pivotcharts and tables, forget it. Some of the statistical functions were not included. Automatic web queries: not a prayer.

Not to mention the third party add-on for excel I use, which I never expected to work.

Old Dryfoot
12-06-2010, 08:31 PM
In good software, "free" is way over-rated.

I dunno... Linux is not over rated, in fact the vast majority of the internet is powered by free software I'll wager. MySQL Apache are in all likely hood serving up this very page you are now reading, free software. I Agree that Excel is the proverbial 800lb gorilla of spreadsheet software, it's probably the number one reason for MS desktop dominance in the workplace but OpenOffice is very polished and A very workable alternative. Check it out, OpenOffice.org (http://www.OpenOffice.org), you might like it.

peb
12-06-2010, 09:42 PM
It'll be a long wait for a tablet device running Windows that is able to compete with the iPad. Apple and Android will do a very effective job of shutting the door on Microsoft in the tablet market, possibly even locking out RIM, though the Playbook is generating a lot of buzz. It will be interesting to see the sales figures when RIM release their hardware. I don't expect MS to make much of a showing in regards to smart phones either.

Perhaps, but I got to wonder. Depends on what the tablet computer becomes, is a mobile/light replacement for a lot of the world laptops? If so, than I have to think a tablet version of windows would have a pretty good shot. There is a long history of companies thinking they could displace microsoft by doing away with the need for advanced software at the end-user, heck I remember when Oracle in the 90s was trying to tout a net-computer. It would be one think if microsoft did not have a track record on the desktop for keeping a sleek/easy to use UI to match all of the apple hype, but they do. Apple users hate to admit it, but Windows is just as easy to use, upgrade, and one can be just as productive (for a lot of jobs more productive). If microsoft can match the UI expereince of the iPad (seems like the windows 7 phone is getting some decent reviews), then I would not count them out. Too many people like me: wait for the MS product, it will handle more of the stuff I need and will be more stable and less expensive. Not saying it will happen, but it is very possible.

clancy
12-07-2010, 01:42 AM
Amazon Charging Kindle Users For Free Books

http://www.pcworld.com/article/212077/amazon_charging_kindle_users_for_free_books.html

I recently purchased an iPad. One of the features I like is that I can add books myself to the reading application. You don't have to purchase books from iTunes. You can transfer epub and pdf files. Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/download_osx) is free ebook management software available for the Mac that will convert books in text and pdf formats to epub.

Old Dryfoot
12-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Thanks. I know all about OpenOffice.

Comparing spreadsheet software to server software is a lot like comparing accountants to programmers. The "workplace" is where I use spreadsheet software, so it makes some sense to master the "800lb Gorilla" in that space, eh?

It makes sense if you need an 800lb gorilla to get the job done, a great many people and small businesses are finding that they do not. In those cases an alternative like Calc is more that sufficient to meet their needs. My examples of Linux, Apache, and MySQL where merely to illustrate that open source software, or free software, is capable of competing with any pay per use offering. If you prefer the comparison could also be drawn using Photoshop and GIMP, both offerings are capable of the same tasks, one is free open source software the other is not, both offer professional grade features.

Old Dryfoot
12-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Perhaps, but I got to wonder...

Have you seen the Lenovo U1 (http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/lenovo-ideapad-u1-hybrid-hands-on-and-impressions/)? This may be the product you are waiting for.

Joe (SoCal)
12-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Too many people like me: wait for the MS product, it will handle more of the stuff I need and will be more stable and less expensive. Not saying it will happen, but it is very possible.

You keep waiting while I'll get business done with my "toy" TODAY ;)