PDA

View Full Version : Literary Discovery

Keith Wilson
12-02-2010, 08:35 PM
New to me, anyway; apparently everybody else has heard of him. I was walking by the new arrivals display in the library and picked up this book, mainly because it had a delightful picture on the cover. I'd never heard of DeLint before; can't imagine why not.

http://www.sfsite.com/charlesdelint/coverart/bestofcdl-ta.jpg

Oh my, that guy can write. He does mostly modern urban fantasy stuff; leprechauns in Toronto, like that. A bit sentimental, but I'm a sucker for that sort of thing. He reminds me of a Canadian Peter Beagle, but much more prolific. I have lots and lots of good reading ahead this winter. Y>

Gerarddm
12-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Huh. Is he Canadian, then? Only Canadian sci-fi writer I know of is Gibson.

Keith Wilson
12-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Robert J. Sawyer too. Calculating God is very good.

James McMullen
12-02-2010, 09:44 PM
And Charles Vess drew the cover? I'll take a chance on that, sure.

Nanoose
12-02-2010, 10:35 PM
And there's a kindle edition.
Hmm....

Phillip Allen
12-02-2010, 10:37 PM
just when I was needing something new to read...thanks

Flying Orca
12-02-2010, 10:39 PM
He's very good - you'll have great fun working through his back catalogue. Also quite a nice guy and a fine musician to boot.

Nanoose
12-02-2010, 10:41 PM
FO - any of his work you'd recommend more than the rest?

Keith Wilson
12-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Charles Vess it is. Y> You can tell DeLint's a nice guy from the stories. He has great affection for his characters; I like that.

Joe (SoCal)
12-02-2010, 11:35 PM
iBooks has a bunch of them but my reading list is full for the winter. ;)

Keith Wilson
12-02-2010, 11:38 PM
The library here has about 25 of his books, free for the borrowing.

Shang
12-02-2010, 11:40 PM
...I was walking by the new arrivals display in the library and picked up this book, mainly because it had a delightful picture on the cover...

Charles Vess is the illustrator.
I couldn't find his cover illustration for this book, but here's another of his...

http://www.tcj.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/charlesvessdrawingdownmoonhorse.jpg

Joe (SoCal)
12-02-2010, 11:42 PM
IBooks has about a dozen

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m320/fosterhere/cdf8fbf1.png

Flying Orca
12-03-2010, 08:10 AM
FO - any of his work you'd recommend more than the rest?

I especially liked Jack, The Giant Killer and Greenmantle; The Little Country; and all of the Newford books I've read, especially Trader. The Newford stories are best read in roughly chronological order, but it's not entirely necessary.

Keith Wilson
12-03-2010, 08:25 AM
The "Best of" collection seems to be an excellent introduction. It's mostly Newford stories, in chronological order. The local library has 25 of his books.

Allison
12-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Worth a look, not a writer that i've seen hear at all.

troutman
12-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Speaking of Canadian literature.....does the name Bartholomew Bandy ring a bell?

Flying Orca
12-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Not with me.

troutman
12-03-2010, 09:58 PM
No offense, probably the generation who 'd remember Gordon lightfoot, Stan Rogers and Ian Tyson. No canadian remembers Bandy the WWI canadian air ace? Orca, you working on that boat or do I need to have Dal help me load it onto a flat bed and haul it down to new jersey?

Keith Wilson
12-03-2010, 10:14 PM
I remember Stan Rogers; saw him in concert twice.

Flying Orca
12-04-2010, 09:32 AM
No offense, probably the generation who 'd remember Gordon lightfoot, Stan Rogers and Ian Tyson.

I certainly know those three - seen 'em all, and Stan's as responsible as anyone for getting me into folk music. His songs formed a big part of my early repertoire, though I only do three or four these days.

Orca, you working on that boat or do I need to have Dal help me load it onto a flat bed and haul it down to new jersey?

Man, he puts me to shame, I tell you what... twice my energy and he's got to be thirty years older. That being said, the boat-stopper right now is the house - we're in an all-out push to get it ready for a housewarming/solstice party on the 21st. Once we get through the hols I'll be getting back to the boat. Might even get some help from Dad and Dal's niece every now and again, which would be nice.

By the way, we'll be seeing your boy next weekend... looking forward to it.

I remember Stan Rogers; saw him in concert twice.

I only saw him once, not long before he died. Got autographed LPs of every album he had out at the time, which would be the first four. Oystagirl's good friends with Stan's brother Garnet, who continues to tour (by car, no planes for him). We see him every chance we get; I think he's become a more impressive performer and songwriter than Stan was, though of course with Stan gone at 33 it's hard to say what he might have become by now. We also know Stan's son Nathan.

Keith Wilson
12-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Garnet Rogers has gotten very good indeed. He played in St Paul recently and I missed him, alas.

troutman
12-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Stans the lock keeper is a great love song. You have to go to Ralph mctell to equal it. I'd put the late John Stewart up there with those guys. He covers America like Stan and Gord did Canada. I generally do the dishes with the Canadian railroad trilogy and the ghosts of cape horn blaring. I do a rousing Maryellen Carter myself. About the only time is use the old Martin anymore.

Flying Orca
12-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Well if we ever meet up we'll have to make sure your old Martin and my old Martin get a bit of a workout. ;)