PDA

View Full Version : Selling old laptops

cs
12-02-2010, 10:16 AM
So what is the best way to do this? I have my old laptop that I'm not using that still works fine, just a bit old.

Now I wonder should I wipe it completly and leaving the OS intact and sell it that way or maybe just wipe it completly blank and sell it that way? One thing I do worry about is making sure that all of my personal information is off of it.

Chad

RichKrough
12-02-2010, 10:40 AM
My next door neighbor rehabs old laptops and sell them on Ebay. he uses a program called "Wipedrive" which removes all the data from the hard disk which apparently formating doesn't.

In August I sold my 2 oldest laptops on Ebay I got $63 for a 10 year old Gateway . $169 for an Apple G4 Powerbook

cs
12-02-2010, 10:41 AM
I'll look for that Wipedrive and see what I can find.

Thanks

Chad

ccmanuals
12-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Problem with wiping the drive is that you can't boot the computer to show the potential buyer that the thing works. Of course you could wipe it and reload the OS if you have the original disks. With a little bit of work you can delete all the personal information from the drive and be ok.

Uncle Duke
12-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Problem with wiping the drive is that you can't boot the computer to show the potential buyer that the thing works. Of course you could wipe it and reload the OS if you have the original disks. With a little bit of work you can delete all the personal information from the drive and be ok.
Wipe the drive and put Linux on it. Easy, free and gives you a demonstrably bootable and runnable unit.

cs
12-02-2010, 11:09 AM
That has been one of my thoughts, but the counter to that is how markatable is a laptop with Linux compared to one with Windows on E-bay?

Chad

Uncle Duke
12-02-2010, 11:15 AM
You have the original Windows discs, yes? Those are part of the sale package?
I'd be surprised if someone wanted to run a very old version of Windows, but if they do they would have the option.

skipper68
12-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Another thought,for such a small price,like 63 dollars,would be to donate it,an take the value off your taxes. Then theirs no hassle with ebay,or such.