PDA

View Full Version : See what happens when you follow a GPS without looking at the 'chart'?

rbgarr
12-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Guy drives right up to a customs checkpoint with weed in his cooler.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/canada-maine-border-crossing-gps-marijuana-darrell-fudge.html

:D

yzer
12-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Oh, fudge!

Captain Intrepid
12-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Poor guy!

Old Dryfoot
12-01-2010, 11:14 PM
I don't understand why he tried to get through the check point once he realized he was driving up to one. Crossing a border into DEA territory in pure lunacy, I hope the judge feels sorry for him.

Phillip Allen
12-01-2010, 11:18 PM
his name wouldn't be Cornelius Fuge would it? did he have a green hat?

CalebD
12-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Forget fudge. Brownies would have been a lot better.

Ron Williamson
12-02-2010, 06:25 AM
You must realize that he prolly started the trip with TWO pounds of weed.
R

Paul Pless
12-02-2010, 06:29 AM
that bc bud will get you every time

RichKrough
12-02-2010, 08:55 AM
I went through that POE 3 years ago on a bike tour. He must have a roasted a few doobies along the way. There is no less than 3 big-azz signs telling you that you are about to leave Canada and enter the US.

Pretty serious Border Patrol people there, When I went through I was asked my destination for the day and mixed up the campground name with the town name. They kept me there about 3 hours while they checked me out.

S.V. Airlie
12-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Well a bit aside. I heard of a guy who was transporting 10 Canada
Geese across the border one time. He was stopped and was told he could not take them across as it was illegal. (migratory bird act or something)He jumped out of the car let the geese out, went across the border and whistled for them. They came running and jumped back in the car. He waved and drove off.

bob winter
12-02-2010, 09:06 AM
And people wonder why I don't want a GPS.

John Turpin
12-02-2010, 09:12 AM
"Before you put those handcuffs on me, let me explain about this little GPS problem I'm having. It's actually a funny story."

cs
12-02-2010, 09:16 AM
What some people forget is that a GPS is just a tool. Like a compass and a map, it is just a tool to assist in navigation. Where folks get in trouble is putting their complete faith in a tool and not trusting their own judgement and knowledge, letting the tool tell them what to do.

Chad

S.V. Airlie
12-02-2010, 09:19 AM
What some people forget is that a GPS is just a tool. Like a compass and a map, it is just a tool to assist in navigation. Where folks get in trouble is putting their complete faith in a tool and not trusting their own judgement and knowledge, letting the tool tell them what to do.

Chad Sounds like you are referring to calculators, computers and the like.They are SUPPOSED to be only tools but are no longer just tools

cs
12-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Those are all just tools also as well as the GPS. Nothing replaces a good knowledge base (in your head) of what you are doing. Navigation is no different. Use the tools along with your knowledge base and don't put your complete trust in the tool. Let your sound judgement rule the day.

Chad

S.V. Airlie
12-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Ain't that the truth. I agree 100%.. the problem is they are not treated as tools anymore. And it eems to start young. Ran into a 3rd grader with his father one Sunday who was getting cheap calculator I asked him why he was getting one as he was only in 3rd grade. He told me that if he did not have one on Monday, his math grade will be docked. Now that is depressing....What is the math that is taught in 3rd grade? Addition, Subtaction fractions and multiplication...

Damn I wish they would throw calculators out the window until High school. I know won't happen but still.

Phillip Allen
12-02-2010, 11:36 AM
And people wonder why I don't want a GPS.

What's in YOUR cooler?

pefjr
12-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Canadian? but PMJ said Canuks are so much smarter?? Must be a mistake.

Old Dryfoot
12-02-2010, 12:31 PM
He should have had a co-pilot ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L8DcjFOD1k&feature=related

Michael Beckman
12-02-2010, 12:39 PM
I plot the route on my netbook before starting. Keeps me on the right roads.

cs
12-02-2010, 03:06 PM
I do find that Mapquest is a little better than Google maps though. I put in a destination in Google the other day and it took me off the freeway to the right and went a few miles over secondary roads to cut back across the freeway going to the left. Where as Mapquest took me straight up the freeway to the exit where Google crossed back over.

BTW back before private GPS use I was making a trip to Minot ND from TN. Me and my uncle sit down with the Rand McNally and I took a piece of paper and wrote down hwy numbers and whether to take it north or west, something like;

24W
57N toward Chicago
Left on 64W
70W toward Kanasas City
etc.

All I took was that piece of paper with those simple directions and I had no trouble getting there. Well except for the fact that I was driving 1500 miles in a MGB and had two breakdowns on the way and had to spend one night sleeping in the car in South Dakota in late Oct.

Chad