X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cs
    Elite Invisible Member
    • Feb 2001

Posting guidlines I would like to see

I don't know about you guys but I rarely look at post where somebody just post a link or a video without some explanation.

What I would like to see is if somebody has a link to something that they feel is earth shattering or news worthy and they want others to read, they should do maybe a brief recap of the article with maybe a few quotes to highlight certain areas, maybe a little of their opinion and than a link to the article.

That might let me know whether or not the link is worth looking at.

Chad
    There are three ways to do things: The right way, the wrong way and my way.

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion
  • Ian McColgin
    • Apr 1999

Re: Posting guidlines I would like to see

I quite agree that if the title is not reason enough, then a teaser or explanation or such is a help. Usually I figure that if a person cares so little about a topic that he or she offers no reason for me to look, I will follow the implicit advice and not look. It is a free space where we are all allowed to be as vacuous as we choose.

Comment

• Paul Pless
      pinko commie tree hugger
      • Oct 2003

fart
      Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• S.V. Airlie
        Ancient Mariner
        • Dec 2006

I'm glad that Norman does this now Before he didn't.

We all should but I don't cut and paste much.

Comment

• cs
          Elite Invisible Member
          • Feb 2001

Seems like Paul needs some GasX.

Not really wanting to see a bunch of cut and paste, that smacks to much of plagerism. What I'm talking about is a brief recap in the poster's own words of what the article is about. Maybe C&P a few quotes to accent a point, but don't over do it.

Chad

Three Little Birds
          Love is My Religion

Comment

• Uncle Duke
            Just this guy...
            • Jun 2005

What I'm talking about is a brief recap in the poster's own words of what the article is about.
            A brief comment about why you think it is important/interesting/entertaining is sometimes nice, and it allows us to learn more about the poster as well.
            Sometimes you've gotta leave the kibble out where the slow dogs can get some....
            ... Roy Blount, Jr.

Comment

• rbgarr
              43.50.918 N, 69.38.583 W
              • Apr 1999

I get broadcast e-mails from people all the time that say things like 'This is funny!' and then a link to something. Unless they are going to give a hint I don't bother with them and then when they ask what i thought... oh well, whatever.
              For the most part experience is making the same mistakes over and over again, only with greater confidence.

Comment

• cs
                Elite Invisible Member
                • Feb 2001

I'm glad that others agree with me on this. I too get plenty of junk mail, not as much here as at my civilan job, and like you I hardly look at them. Give me a reason to read the article.

Chad

Three Little Birds
                Love is My Religion

Comment

• seanz
                  Resilient?
                  • Nov 2006

I agree with you too Chad. But. If I just want to do a quick link to something amusing then that's what I do. If it's something of earth-shattering importance, then I'll give an explanation or quote text.
                  We don't know how lucky we are....

Comment

• Peter Malcolm Jardine
                    • Aug 2002

I'm all for a benevolent dictatorship, where either Chuck or myself are in charge.
                    Wooden boats are like shingles, recurring, and often painful.

Comment

• Old Dryfoot
                      That Richard Guy
                      • May 2010

Originally posted by Black-Jack
                      ahhhhhhhh

Comment

• Bruce Hooke
                        • Mar 2000

My observation has been that at least in some cases the reason people do not offer an explanation for the link they are posting appears to be because it is a link to some wacky conspiracy theory video or some nutty fringe economic theory and they know that if they offer an explanation nobody is going to follow the link so they keep mum hoping a few curious fools will follow the link and get hooked.

One more reason to just skip right over posts that are just a link and nothing else.

Beyond that, if someone can't be bothered to write at least a few words of real explanation for why I should follow a link then I am most unlikely to take the trouble to follow the link.

Comment

Working...