PDA

View Full Version : Transmission rebuild-tow vehicle

bluedog225
12-01-2010, 07:53 AM
I've got a 1995 ford van based rv I use for my tow vehicle. The tranny is slipping. All I hear are miserable stories about botched repair jobs that end up in the vehicle being sold after spending thousands.

The vehicle has about 110,000 miles and is otherwise in very good shape (new paint, alternator, brakes, radiator, tune up, etc). Engine seems strong and doesn't eat oil.

Does anyone have a good experience with a transmission rebuild? I was thinking about a national chain for the warranty but Aamco keeps getting trashed in reviews. Can a local, independent mechanic handle a job like this.

Also, I keep hearing about "bullet proof" rebuilds. Does anyone know what parts would need to be beefed up? I'd like to get a reliable 75,000 out of the rebuild.

Many thanks

Tom

paladin
12-01-2010, 08:26 AM
Get a remanufactured Jasper transmission.

FSS172
12-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Get a remanufactured Jasper transmission.

I second that. I put a Jasper reman in my Ram at about 260K. I've got about 75K on it now with no issues and it's done some pretty heavy towing e.g.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee297/amnesty172/tow.jpg

The 47RE tranny in this truck has a pretty bad reputation as a stock unit. Jasper beefs up the known failure points. At 3 yr or 100K the warranty seems like pretty strong confidence in their product. It's worked for me anyhow...

paladin
12-01-2010, 10:17 AM
At 228,000 I replaced the engine and tranny in my dodge ramcharger. Put another 85k on it before donating it to vets.....

The Gentleman Sawyer
12-01-2010, 10:26 AM
Get a Jasper, as they come with a decent warranty. Any repair on your current one will likely cost as much as a Jasper.

Ken

bluedog225
12-01-2010, 05:39 PM
You guys are a great resource. Thanks.

Breakaway
12-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Bluedog.. I had a '95 Bronco with the 5.8 Ford and had a local auto mechanic install a rebuilt Jasper as stated above. That was at 108,000 miles. I drove that truck till it had 201,00 miles on it 4 years ago and it was running fine (though rusting apart). I still see it 'round town once in a while.

Kevin

Peter Malcolm Jardine
12-01-2010, 07:10 PM
A couple of things: A good tranny shop will do a serious inspection of everything inside the transmission, and for the most part, a rebuild can be just as good or even better than new, since component issues at new have been cleared up with modified parts... You can talk to a good transmission shop about putting better parts in... clutches and sprags. The other issue I suspect with yours (based on geography) is that heat is your enemy. A really good big tranny cooler, bigger than stock is a good idea. That tranny works hard with just the RV body, towing makes it run even hotter.

I just did the transmission in my 4runner, due to a rad failure contaminating the tranny, and it had over 185,000 hard miles on it.

pumpkin
12-01-2010, 09:41 PM
If your van has an E4OD transmission, the likely cause of failure is the cooler bypass line valve sticking and the fluid boiling because it never goes to the cooler. Since you live in Texas (hot) I would recommend removing it or "accidentally" kinking the line to really restrict flow thereby permanently forcing all of the fluid to go through the cooler. A friend in Arizona has a fleet of fords and was having tranny troubles. I suggested this to him and he hasnít had a failure in years. He carefully kinks them with bolt cutters. (Itís the line going between the 2 Banjo fittings.) Its only purpose is to bypass fluid back to the transmission in extreme cold weather.

Matthew

bluedog225
12-06-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm getting some pretty stiff prices for the Jasper. About $1500 for a local rebuild and about $3500 for the Jasper. Does that sound right or do I need to keep shopping? Thanks.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
12-06-2010, 04:57 PM
A couple of grand for a decent tranny rebuild is about right.

Nicholas Scheuer
12-06-2010, 05:28 PM
One more comment, please (from a guy driving an old Dodge Diesel):

Is a Jasper rebuild worth a significantly higher price that that from a supposedly competent independant rebuild shop?

My original equip (I think) auto tranny is OK so far, but who knows?

Moby Nick

paladin
12-06-2010, 05:32 PM
The Jasper rebuild includes "fixes" to repair original design flaws, heavier components etc....3500 seems high, mine was $2500 with install.