PDA

View Full Version : Do you think congress will go for the fed proposed freeze?

S.V. Airlie
11-30-2010, 08:57 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2010/11/29/news/economy/federal_pay_freeze/

Not on your life. Take away money from senators and congressmen not likely

Gerarddm
11-30-2010, 09:49 AM
Yes.

ccmanuals
11-30-2010, 09:52 AM
I'm not entirely sure it would even apply to members of Congress but would apply to their staff members that happen to be Civil Service. In fact, I'm sure it doesn't apply to members of Congress.

S.V. Airlie
11-30-2010, 09:54 AM
Where do senators and congessmen get their paychecks

ccmanuals
11-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Where do senators and congessmen get their paychecks

Congressmen are not civilian federal employees which this freeze is specifically aimed at. Their checks come from Treasury.

S.V. Airlie
11-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Yes exactly the treasury.. As in US...Now what is wrong with this picture? I've always wondered how a group of people can get treasury checks and not be employed by the government. Supposedly they are there on behalf of the people, for the people.

ccmanuals
11-30-2010, 10:01 AM
Congress voted to freeze its own pay for 2010. Any pay raise for 2011 will take place automatically under existing law, unless Congress votes to freeze its pay again before then.
Update, May 17, 2010: There will be no House or Senate raise for 2011 either. Congress passed, and the President signed (http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/statement-press-secretary-hr-5146), H.R. 5146 (http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:h5146pcs.txt.pdf), which eliminates the automatic adjustment in pay for Members of Congress that would have taken place in 2011.

They vote on their own pay raises.

S.V. Airlie
11-30-2010, 10:25 AM
I remember a year where New York State did not have a budget in place. The legislators said that they would take no or little pay until the budget passed. A few months later, they were all screaming bloody murder because the budget, they were supposed to pass wasn't I think they got their salaries before a budget was passed anyway..
I'll see if the congress will stick by the HR 5146 or put in some amendments down the road. HR5146 is only for a year though so perhaps not.

Uncle Duke
11-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Yes exactly the treasury.. As in US...Now what is wrong with this picture? I've always wondered how a group of people can get treasury checks and not be employed by the government. Supposedly they are there on behalf of the people, for the people.
There is nothing wrong with this picture. Part of what you pay federal taxes for is to cover payroll for representatives, so that their income is not dependent on the vagaries of state politics - so that they can better represent the people who put them in office instead of having to suck up to local monies.
In the exact same manner, state legislators are paid from state funds, and not from county or local funds.

S.V. Airlie
11-30-2010, 10:34 AM
I understand that re taxes but that really doesn't say to me why they are not federal employees. They don't have to retire. example They can only die in office or lose a campaign.

ccmanuals
11-30-2010, 10:37 AM
I understand that re taxes but that really doesn't say to me why they are not federal employees. They don't have to retire. example They can only die in office or lose a campaign.

They are elected officials. If they were federal employees they would have to comply with a real code of ethics, not lie, steal, etc. Federal employees cannot receive a "gift" valued more than $20.00. Imagine if that applied to congress.