PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Book: "Room"

Uncle Duke
11-29-2010, 04:09 PM
"Room", by Emma Donoghue.
Picked up a copy at the in-laws over Thanksgiving (anything to get away from the noise...) - Thursday night - and started reading. Begged to keep it overnight. Finished it on Friday and thought about it for a while. Read it (mostly) again.
High recommendations - a fascinating story told in a very unusual voice from a very unusual viewpoint. Some commentators will say that the climax comes in the middle, but it doesn't. That's just where the story changes.
Highly recommended.
http://www.amazon.com/Room-Novel-Emma-Donoghue/dp/0316098337

Curtism
11-30-2010, 06:06 AM
Thanks for the recommendation, Uncle Duke. Looking over some of the reviews, in a toe-dipping way so as to not get too much of the plot in advance, Room sounds like something I need to add to my list. I've always liked pieces written through the eyes if youngsters for some reason.

Have you read any of her other books or, if not, do you plan to?

Uncle Duke
11-30-2010, 07:34 AM
I'm going to order "Slammerkin", today probably, even though I'm not usually a fan of historical novels. But she was so successful in "voicing" the kid, Jack, that I really want to give it a shot.
And it has great reviews on Amazon, with some of the same comments which were given to "Room", like:

It is the type of book that really draws you in and you don't want to put it down. I kept thinking, just a couple more pages then I'll quit for the night. Then I would look up and see another half hour had passed in what seemed like only moments.
That works for me!