PDA

View Full Version : Norvegian fairing

patrice Hubert
11-24-2010, 02:51 AM
Could someone brinks me some help or advices for building a fairing of large size, 23' lengh 6' 6'' beam for instance. Is it plans for a design of that size or should i have to start from a known design as the Valgerda from Atkin, enter the offset in a computer and enlarge myself the plan....
Or simply making the boat by eyes using batens on temporary frames...(like builder of the old time for they had no computer)...

And do you believe such a craft seawortly enough, yet i think fairing was used in sheltered waters of fjords more than in open sea.
After all dorys came from the bank dory and was at first also used as rowing boats and have been enlarge to give the ST Pierre, carolina, big semi dory and the french dory used by the fishermen in Normandie till the sixtys ( and stil keep on to be used for leisure) . All these boats are powered.
kind to reply. Patrice, France.

Peerie Maa
11-24-2010, 07:34 AM
OK, on terminology faering = 4 oared boat, at about 18 - 20 foot long
A 23 foot boat would be 6 or 8 oared.

You need to look for the Ness Yoal, or Scandinavian boat plans. Valgerda is a three streak boat, like the Ozelver, and would be difficult to scale up, the plank would have to be thicker at that size, so would have to be built over a strong set of moulds.

Howard T
11-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Check out Small Boat Journa Number 32 (9/83). It features a 19.5' Fjording built by Chip Stulen or Faering Design Inc. Chip learned his craft in Norway. I also highly recommend checking out the July/August 1990 issue of Wooden Boat. It also features Chip and some of his other Faerings and include about 20 photos of the building process. I have a 20' 4" Faering (aka Fjording) that was designed by my uncle and built by Chip in the early 80s. Send me your email address and I'll send you some pics.

patrice Hubert
11-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks a lot of your advices Howard. here is my email adress: patricehubert50@hotmail.fr
i try to find out on the web furthore more doc on what you're talking about ...

lagspiller
11-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Well.... about lengths

Det er kun tillatt å delta i regattaer med båter som overholder disse mål:

Klasse Maks.LENGDEmeter Min.LENGDEmeter Min.BREDDEmeter

A 8,00 7,00 1,75
B 7,70 7,00 1,75
D 7,70 6,80 1,70
E 7,70 6,45 1,60
H 7,40 6,20 1,60
K 7,00 5,80 1,55
L 6,40 5,60 1,50
Spriseil 6,35 5,40 1,45

The max length for the smallest oselver færing with a 8 sq.m. spritsail, for it to be within acceptable measure for racing, is 20.8 ft. If rigged with a bermuda sail, it can be max 22,96 ft.... or about 23 if you are not so concerned with racing. This would also be considered a færing. A seksæring would be typically more heavily built.

Boat lengths differ a lot - depending on where they are intended for use. Some are for fjords... which aren't necessarily as protected as you might believe. Some are for more coastal sea conditions. Oselver-types are coastal boats, for a mix of archipelago/north sea use. They are able to handle more sea than you will probably be comfortable with.

I copied the table above from the official rules book for the national sail association. http://www.mildebatlag.org/oselvarklubben/Klasseregler_Oselvar-28nov2000.pdf
Its in norwegian. But you might get something out of some of the tables and appendicies. There is a nice lines drawing in appendix A.

Thad
11-24-2010, 01:20 PM
I posted this to your query on another thread:
If you can find a book called INSHORE CRAFT OF NORWAY put together by Arne Emil Christiansen from a manuscript by Bernhard and Oystein Faeroyvik you will find a selection of boats that generally reflect your interest. For engine installation you will need to widen the stern stem and modify the stern and rudder shape somewhat, but for easy way in the water these models should work fine. I had one of my prams (12') at a show years ago and a man came up to me and speaking with a Norwegian accent said that his family had built a pram "just like this" but 30' long that was their boatyard work boat with an inboard engine.

patrice Hubert
12-03-2010, 02:41 AM
the plan on the appencice looks fine yet no very readable. D'you believe she can be planked with plywood 12mm? I also wander if setting an engine is possible or perhaps a small out board 4/6 hp could be fit on a bracket near the stern post... has this ever been done...

This because i'm not so found of rowing, i have the experience with my own boat a swampscot dory 17 feet from plan John GARDNER " Fred Dion swampscot dory 17'
She is a wonderful craf and good sailing boat for she has a center board that inhence to moove forward the wind at about 45° - good on a great lake- but when i got to sail against the wind on a river things become a bit less easy and you need to row...
patrice

Peerie Maa
12-03-2010, 09:03 AM
This is Peerie Maa, an 18 foot whilly boat.
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp164/peerie_maa/Idiot%20proof/DSC01040.jpg
Because she is from the Shetland Isles she has hollow garboards and would be easier to fit with an inboard than a Norwegian model.
I used to have an outboard bracket mounted on the quarter just in front of the sailing horse that took a long shaft Seagull 4hp engine. This was locked so that I could steer with the rudder. The rig worked well. Many Shetland models have been fitted with an engine well for an outboard about 1 to 1.5 metres forward of the stern, just to the side of the keel. This is also worth considering as it would be easier than creating an aperture in the sternpost - rudder assembly.

lagspiller
12-03-2010, 05:14 PM
It isn't unknown to put a small outboard on a færing, but in my opinion, if that is what you want to do there must be better choices of hull type. The færing is fairly high at the stern and quite narrow. Not the best shape to attach an outboard and not much lift to support outboard power under weigh. I have also seen brackets for mounting the outboard on the side - brings the outboard in to where you sit. But boats that run much with a side mounted outboard get pulled out of shape. The boats simply are not designed with that in mind. Inboard power is unthinkable. You'd need to redesign so much there wouldn't really be any færing left. They are simply too lightly built and too flexible. If you want an inboard, you are going to need a plank on frame design to mount the engine. A færing is the opposite - the boards support the frames. An inboard will shake the boat apart.

patrice Hubert
12-06-2010, 05:42 AM
Hi peerie. The boat seems very fine, where did you take the lines from? Ian Oughterd has a design named willy boat but a bit shorter 16' 6"" i think...
has she a center board ?

Peerie Maa
12-06-2010, 07:25 AM
Hi peerie. The boat seems very fine, where did you take the lines from? Ian Oughterd has a design named willy boat but a bit shorter 16' 6"" i think...
has she a center board ?
She is an original Shetland model, not a new build, now over 50 years old. Ian Oughtred took the generic Shetland name for small boat to name his design. Peerie Maa falls in the whilly class as she is too small to row four up.
She has no centreboard, relying instead on her hollow garboards and the keel for lateral resistance.

patrice Hubert
12-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Do you believe she could be planked with plywood 12mm?
At my eyes the boat seems more closer of open double ender like the swedish boat or dannish than a fairing...

Peerie Maa
12-06-2010, 03:25 PM
She is planked in 7/16 inch. If you wanted to lengthen her from 18 foot over the stems 1/2 in ply would be fine. The Shetland Islanders evolved their boats form quite quickly after 1840, when they stopped trading with Norway and were able to buy boat building timber by streamer from Aberdeen. One change was to hollow the garboards as they used narrower plank stock. Peerie Maa was built as a pleasure boat, and so has more hollow than the more traditional utility boats. It may be this that gives her a more Baltic appearance. She has the Shetland characteristic of having both stem and sternpost cut from the same template though.

patrice Hubert
12-07-2010, 02:23 AM
thanks a lot peerie. Your craft seems to get the look i was always searching for a boat. At this moment i glance over a Bertil Anderson design and though the choise of a design is a very personal opinion i am rather interessed by n° 30 snipa 18" the lines seem near of perfect and n° 63 skanesnipa 18' beam 202cm this boat may be good sailor, and i think she could be lenghen to 20' by spacing a bit the frame on the keel. And i supose all these craf could be fit with inboard engine or at less with an outboard on a bracket.

NickW
12-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Nick - Have you ever taken the lines off Peerie Maa?

Nick

Peerie Maa
12-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Nick - Have you ever taken the lines off Peerie Maa?

Nick

I did, about 25 years ago, ink on paper drafting film. I would want to check them over if I can find them.

patrice Hubert
12-10-2010, 03:39 AM
d'you know if can find the line of your boat. Do you believe she could be planked with sheet of plywood and what thickness where are sailing ?? Patrice

patrice Hubert
12-10-2010, 03:51 AM
to day i plan to go at the "salon du bateau" in Paris quite a lot of boats are display at this démo. and also every things around boats but unfortunly 95% of the crafts are plastic coat hull ( what we call "tuperware...), a very few boatbuilder expose wooden boat. Usualy frenchman like boat for what they can do with the boat ( fishing;sailing; etc.) but not for the boat itself...

Peerie Maa
12-10-2010, 11:12 AM
d'you know if can find the line of your boat. I'll look tomorrow, I'm at a Christmas Party tonight.

Do you believe she could be planked with sheet of plywood and what thickness Ply would probably work, 10mm should be OK, unless you stretch her length, then go to 12mm.

where are sailing ?? Patrice In Walney Channel and on Ullswater, Google earth will show you where.