PDA

View Full Version : Hout Bay 70

jason
10-05-2000, 02:33 PM
WOuld appreciate any comments on the Dudley Dix Hout Bay 70. I am looking for a very seaworthy boat, buillt in steel, very STABLE world cruiser typetraditional character. THis seems to fit the bill. Although a partial design Im told theres enough info to build here. Offcourse the price seems very appealing & so does the construction radius + multi chine. If anyone is able to suggest a btter design wrt price & construction techniqure, im all ears. The Hout Bay 70 seems to be the best so far though.

Alan D. Hyde
10-05-2000, 05:00 PM
Irving and Electa Johnson's last "Yankee" was a corten steel Sparkman & Stevens designed schooner in excess of fifty feet, very stable yet by no means tubby.

Many well-regarded sailors (Eric Hiscock, for one) thought highly of the vessel, and of the design.

Last I knew, Electa was still in North Hadley, Mass. It may be that Paul Johnson at
Johnson's Bookstore in Springfield, Mass. could send you something about the design.

Or why not give S.& S. a call? Many clever ideas were worked into this design, based on many years of cruising experience. Even if you end up using some other design, I don't believe you'll have wasted your time by looking at "Yankee."

Best regards,

Alan

jason
10-06-2000, 12:26 AM
Alan thats interesting...i have not considered corten steel as a building material... i am trying to stay away from aluminium due to cost & therefore like steel.... but i would be open to considering corten steel........ What price increase is there for corten steel compared to normal mild steel???.
I have heard that stephen & sparkmen charge $US 125 per foot for stock designs?..this is approx $US6000 for this 50 ft yankee. I will contact them to confirm there prices, but i was looking for something around 70ft

TomRobb
10-06-2000, 07:01 AM
This is more of a question than an objection: Is Corten really suitable for a boat? In bridges it seems trick - it rusts to a fairly attractive chocolate brown surface coating that inhibits further corrosion. No more sand blasting and painting. Cool. Saves a small fortune over the life of the bridge. But do you really want a fuzzy brown boat? Also if repairs are needed in Third World Lower Slobovia, are relatively exotic welding processes needed? Mild Steel can probably be welded nearly anywhere in the world.