PDA

View Full Version : posting pics quota limit

Jimbo2004
11-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Trying to posts pics in a thread and I'm stopped error exceeded my quota?

What's up with that?

Duncan Gibbs
11-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Six pictures maximum, and that includes :) smilies. Prolly something to do with the V-Bulletin software limitations... How quickly posts load. That sort of thing.

Hwyl
11-14-2010, 06:31 PM
I think what might be happening is that you might be trying to attach the pictures. That does not really work. You have to post the pictures to another site like photobucket and link them through rhe thing that looks like a trampoline. Choose "from a URL" and make sure you uncheck (untick) the little box.

Jimbo2004
11-14-2010, 06:33 PM
ok, so if I want to show a build process on the course of a few weeks or months I can't!

I have this same software it can be set # per post but not thread I believe.

TerryLL
11-14-2010, 06:57 PM
[QUOTE=Jimbo2004;2775868]ok, so if I want to show a build process on the course of a few weeks or months I can't!

An easy workaround is to simply make a series of posts with no more than six images per post.

Or you could create an album on a photo hosting site and provide the link, with a few teaser shots posted here to encourage traffic to your album.

Jimbo2004
11-14-2010, 07:14 PM
An easy workaround is to simply make a series of posts with no more than six images per post.

Nope tried that too!

BrianW
11-14-2010, 07:47 PM

That has always worked fine for me, including just last week...

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?121848-Some-new-Afghanistan-Photos...&highlight=afghanistan

It obviously is working in the Photo Scrabble thread.

Garret
11-14-2010, 07:49 PM
The advice to post the pics somewhere else (photobucket, flickr, etc.) is good. Then you can show them here (search for Thorne's advice on posting) - but they are actually stored at the other site. The reason is that if all of our pictures were stored on WB's server - they'd need 10 servers to fit them all. Obviously, that'd cost a lot of money.

HTH

Garret

TerryLL
11-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Nope tried that too!

Well then, just explain what you're doing and how you're doing it. This ain't rocket surgery. We'll talk you through it.

Jimbo2004
11-14-2010, 08:13 PM
here's a screen shot, I posted here (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?122445-1932-Lawton-tender-build&p=2775738#post2775738) and can't add a pic on an additional post

oops you guys limit word docs to 19K, no screen shot can be uploaded

I really know how to do it in fact I have the same software I installed on another site.

I can email the admin the screen shot

Jimbo2004
11-14-2010, 08:15 PM
The advice to post the pics somewhere else (photobucket, flickr, etc.) is good. Then you can show them here (search for Thorne's advice on posting) - but they are actually stored at the other site. The reason is that if all of our pictures were stored on WB's server - they'd need 10 servers to fit them all. Obviously, that'd cost a lot of money.

HTH

Garret

10 servers, I don't think so.

Jimbo2004
11-14-2010, 08:23 PM
ok, got it, the file size limit is set too small it is set in the admin on 35K,

I strongly suggest the file upload limits are increased for jpg's & gif's to 75K

The server will not be overloaded and the threads will be better to understand with embedded images rather than going off site

Just my opinion

TerryLL
11-14-2010, 08:40 PM
It's very easy to insert images into your posts, but the procedure involves uploading your image to a photo-hosting site, and using the "Insert Image" icon to link to the remote image. You cannot simply attach images to your post. The "Insert Image" dialogue box is a bit tricky; you need to click the "From URL" tab and unclick the "Retrieve remote file..." box.

Hwyl
11-14-2010, 08:47 PM
I've looked at other threads you've started and you clearly know how to post pictures. We are all interested in what you have to say about boats, but please don't bug the admin about changes. Most of us like things the way they are. Just show us your build

Bruce Hooke
11-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Once again, you can embed pictures in a thread just fine, you just can't upload them to the WoodenBoat server. Here is an example of a picture embedded in the the post:

http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicv/vfiles13503.jpg

To do this I:

1. Uploaded the picture to another (free) website such as Picasa. (Actually, in this case I found a random photo on the web).
2. On that other website I right clicked on the image and selected Properties (or "View Image Info" in Firefox).
3. Selected and copied the image locations (URL).
4. Here in my post I put my cursor where I want the image and then I clicked on the insert image icon.
5. I selected the "from URL" tab.
6. I pasted the URL for the image into the URL box.
7. I UN-checked the box at the bottom of the dialog box.
8. I clicked the Insert Image button.

There may be a limit to how many photos you can put in one post but that is easy to work around by just responding to your own thread with the next group of images if you have a lot of images you want to post.

People post things like "logs" of a build process over the course of a few months pretty regularly.

P.S., My guess is that the reason WoodenBoat severely restricts actually uploading photos to the WoodenBoat server is at least as much to save bandwidth as it is to save disk space. Depending on their setup either one can be the limiting factor.

Jimbo2004
11-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Terry, you may want to check that with tech support at vBulletin, they say it works fine, I use it that way on several sites.

Don't know what else to say, it should work........

Bruce Hooke
11-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Terry, you may want to check that with tech support at vBulletin, they say it works fine, I use it that way on several sites.

Don't know what else to say, it should work........

I am sure it is a choice that WoodenBoat has made to save on disk space and bandwidth. Since it does not prevent us from including pictures right in threads, as I demonstrated above, I don't see any problem. Yes, they could choose to do things differently but since we don't pay to have this forum...

Jimbo2004
11-14-2010, 08:55 PM
No problem, I'll load them on my server.

TerryLL
11-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Maybe we're talking in circles here. Yes you can attach photos to your post, in the general sense. But the photos must be hosted on some other site. If you find a photo on another site you wish to add to your post you can simply copy and paste.

Garret
11-14-2010, 10:22 PM
10 servers, I don't think so.

OK - that was an offhand #. However, folks post a lot of very high res pics here. I'd posit that with the subject matter, a 75K jpg will not show the detail most are looking for. Many of the pics here are pushing 500K & beyond.

Judging by your posts, you are not a computer neophyte. Do you want to host a site with terrabytes of pics?

Bruce Hooke
11-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Based on his post #18 I think Jimbo2004 now gets the picture. (Sorry! :D )