PDA

View Full Version : Bozo Alert! Incoming! Take Cover!

Gerarddm
11-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Every misguided voter who chose Republican this last time will rue the day they allowed nutjobs like this twit to get near the levers of power:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/13/john-shimkus-climate-change_n_782664.html

stoneyreef
11-13-2010, 07:45 PM
So you have a problem with someone who is openly religious and speaks about his faith in God?

Milo Christensen
11-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Why are you here? (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-lanza/why-are-you-here-new-theo_b_781055.html)

Peter Malcolm Jardine
11-13-2010, 08:13 PM
and some Americans wonder why the world worries about what the US is doing. wow, this guy is just plain scary.

Shang
11-13-2010, 08:32 PM
So you have a problem with someone who is openly religious and speaks about his faith in God?

Not necessarily.
But those of us who don't share someone else's religion may doubt that those religious beliefs provide a valid foundation for making political decisions which may affect us all.

Chip-skiff
11-13-2010, 08:37 PM
A representative government is always subject to misrepresenting the facts. Power, in this case, has little relation to light.

Not to swerve, but why do the Christian fundamentalists and the Islamic fundamentlists hate each other so much, when they share such boundless ignorance?

stoneyreef
11-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Not necessarily.
But those of us who don't share someone else's religion may doubt that those religious beliefs provide a valid foundation for making political decisions which may affect us all.
That is why you know who your candidate is before you elect them. Obviously he was elected and they want someone with his beliefs as their representative.

Horace
11-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Every misguided voter who chose Republican this last time will rue the day they allowed nutjobs like this twit to get near the levers of power:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/13/john-shimkus-climate-change_n_782664.htmlNo, they who elected him might--or might not. I'm perfectly happy with my Republican, and expect to remain so. And if he doesn't pan out, I'll vote for someone else in the primary or for Tea Party next election.

Tom Hunter
11-13-2010, 09:24 PM
If you really find him to be an example of an extreme nutjob in government you have not been studying it very long.

Shang
11-13-2010, 09:26 PM
That is why you know who your candidate is before you elect them. Obviously he was elected and they want someone with his beliefs as their representative.

No, that isn't true.
I did not vote for him, nor did I have the opportunity to vote for him, nor would I have voted for him if the opportunity had been presented.
Considering that there was a low mid-term voter turnout, it is probable that not many people would have voted for him had he been running this time around.

The prospect of a modern political leader who bases his understanding of critical contemporary scientific consensus on bronze-age myths is frightening.

Consider, would you favor a candidate who subscribed to a religion other than the one you embrace?

stoneyreef
11-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Favor . . . . no . .. .accept, yes.

Case in point, Keith Ellison here in Minnesota.

Captain Intrepid
11-13-2010, 09:40 PM

I have a problem with someone who can't interpret the Bible worth a damn using it as a basis for public policy.

Shang
11-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Favor . . . . no . .. .accept, yes.

Case in point, Keith Ellison here in Minnesota.

Well said, Stoney,
But consider, there are many people who disagree with John Shimkus' religious views, and take issues with his position as a member of the house Committee on Energy and Commerce, particularly when he submits a letter to his colleagues asking for their blessing in his campaign to assume the gavel when Republicans take control of Congress.

He appears to be an ignorant and dangerous legislator.

Gerarddm
11-14-2010, 11:29 AM

Yes, when using Your Favorite Deity is a excuse for obduracy.

Old Dryfoot
11-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Rep. John Shimkus (R-IL) -- who claimed this week he is "uniquely qualified among a group of talented contenders to lead the Energy and Commerce Committee" -- said that climate change should not concern us since God has already promised not to destroy the Earth,"

Does that cover famine, war, and pestilence?

LeeG
11-14-2010, 03:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5yNZ1U37sE

all he is saying is that the Earth Abides.

paul oman
11-14-2010, 03:43 PM
gosh, that would be like Barny Frank being in charge of the gov mortgage programs!
(or worse, Obama in the White House) - look that that's done to america!

Shang
11-14-2010, 04:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5yNZ1U37sE

all he is saying is that the Earth Abides.

That's not much comfort if humanity doesn't abide.

I'm chauvinistic for human beings.

S/V Laura Ellen
11-14-2010, 06:07 PM

Under the terms he used... yes, I do.
What makes him think that God doesn't want us to help ourselves?

ahp
11-14-2010, 07:00 PM
It is not a case of being religious or not religious. It is an example of the misuse of religion. It happens all the time.

People elect nitwits like this and get the government they deserve. Unfortunately, I have to share the country with them.

Rich Jones
11-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Whether this guy's beliefs are illegite or not is not for me to decide. But politicans that use right wing religion without really believing in it are beneath contempt. They've tapped into a voter base that they wish to exploit and will make insincere religious comments to pander to them. Just like Bush with women's rights in Iraq and Afganistan. He couldn't give a rat's ass for their rights, but by saying he did, it pandered to American women voters.