PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy curing--How long to keep temps above 50 degrees?

chuckt
11-08-2010, 07:30 AM
I am using Paul Omans epoxy. (I'm very happy with it). I have a PM to Paul on this question but still want to get some input from you guys too. After mixing his regular cure epoxy, how long do I need to keep the shop above 50 degrees? (His website says the temp range starts at 50) I see that full cure may not happen for several days. Do I need to keep the temp up for four days?

Thorne
11-08-2010, 07:49 AM
Probably. You aren't telling us much about the size of the project, gluing joints or coating a surface, number of coats, which coat we are discussing, thickness of same, etc etc etc...

paladin
11-08-2010, 08:08 AM
The epoxy will appear to set but will not reach a full cure for a while. Relax. keep temp steady, have a beer. Ya want steady temp all winter, move to Mexico.

wizbang 13
11-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Not familiar with "Pauls Regular Cure". Start on the other side, forward?

Y Bar Ranch
11-08-2010, 09:06 AM
What happens if you apply epoxy well below 50 degrees, other than that it takes forever to cure? I guess the wood doesn't take it up as much as it would if the epoxy wasn't as viscous, but even then while the epoxy is thicker than all get out, it also remains liquid for far longer and so manages to work its way in to where its going anyway.

I built one S&G kayak, where much of it was done with temps in my garage of just above freezing. Getting a thorough mix was my main concern. Wetting out fiberglass too, although I only did small pieces in the cold. It just took two or more days between glue-ups where you could do them twice a day when warm. At the end of the day, the boat's fine and has survived getting paddled around in the surf for years.

chuckt
11-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Sorry for the lack of info. The epoxy is distributed (manufactured) by Paul Oman's company. Paul is a member of the forum. www.epoxyproducts.com (http://www.epoxyproducts.com) Thorne--I am applying xynole cloth to my cold molded meranti plywood bottom. 30 ft 1950 Chris Craft.

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss151/cmeke0870/work%20begins/IMG00328-20101107-1741.jpg

wizbang 13
11-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Chuck, you might have a little problem with the transition, picking up where you left off. The new dry cloth vs. the once resinated stuff. I do believe you will need to cut it, grind/sand a cleanup,and re apply the white cloth. One panel at a time.

chuckt
11-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks again Wiz. Makes sense and will do. If I'm ever in your neighborhood, I going to need to buy you a brew or two

StevenBauer
11-08-2010, 09:59 AM
how long do I need to keep the shop above 50 degrees? ... Do I need to keep the temp up for four days?

You don't need to keep the whole shop above 50 degrees, just the part of the boat you are working on. If you have a smaller area to keep warm you could mount some heat lamps on a board or use an electric blanket or tent off an area with plastic and use a small electric oil-filled heater.

Steven

chuckt
11-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Response form Paul was the overnight low would just slow down the total cure time and the epoxy would continue to cure once the temperature picked back up.

Thanks Steven. I have isolated pieces in the past where possible. That wasn't praticable when dealing with the whole bottom. I guess I could have draped plastic on the sides but its was easier to just heat the whole shop.