PDA

View Full Version : A dark and stormy night!

StevenBauer
11-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Holy crap is it blowing out there right now. The Casco Bay buoy is showing wind gusts to 49 mph and this old (1892) house is shaking! The pup is spooked, too. My youngest is boarding a plane in California right now, I wonder if they will get re-routed?

Steven

Bill R
11-08-2010, 12:13 AM
Nasty out. I just got back in after fixing some burned up stuff at one station. Have another on the midcoast off due to a widespread power failure (no generator). Phone has been ringing constantly with automated alarm calls from my stations all up and down the coast. Home UPS's are clicking on and off and I just heard a branch come down in my yard next to the house.

Gonna be a long night.

Bruce Hooke
11-08-2010, 12:16 AM
Not so much wind here but when I stepped outside I heard something more solid than rain hitting things; a bit of sleet was coming down, our first wintery weather since last spring!

Best wishes for a safe trip for your youngest. I hope the weather eases up before they are due to land.

Roger Long
11-08-2010, 05:06 AM
I heard the wind and was down at the boat at 0330. It's wild. The liveaboards at South Port spent most of the night in the marina restroom and were sacked out in their cars when I returned from checking my boat. Good thing I did. The cleat the sternlines were tied to was about to pull through the dock planking. Even though I had the foresight to pick the southerly side of a slip and the boat was too far away to get on without sweating it in, my big fender was gone. All my lifejackets are in storage so it was spooky walking around the floats in full foul weather gear and boots. I had to keep reminding myself that it was as dangerous as working on deck underway.

The sail boat in the next slip fortunately has a line across to my finger so, even if both cleats pull out, I'll be held. Two pilings will also have to go to have a major problem. If the wind doesn't go down, the real fun will be later when the tide comes in and the flats no longer form a breakwater. Everything is now doubled and I have buffers on the spring and sternlines. I should have done that yesterday.

A powerboat had two kayaks on his cabin top and no sign that they were tied down. Someone had rescued one and I pulled the other up on an empty finger and tied it down. Where do these people come from? There are fenders, deck boxes, and other debris all over the place.

Big stimulus program for fiberglass workers underway tonight.

Joe Dupere
11-08-2010, 06:28 AM
Suddenly, a shot rang out!!

Joe, FFPoP

Oh, sorry, wrong "It was a dark and stormy night" thread!!! :D

Breakaway
11-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Where do these people come from? There are fenders, deck boxes, and other debris all over the place.

I have never paid for a fender in my life! Bring these folks on, I say!

Kevin

Canoez
11-08-2010, 08:33 AM
I never knew that Steven was a beagle with a typewriter. ;)

Nasty night here too. Cold and raw with some fairly significant sleet and snow in the higher elevations.

McMike
11-08-2010, 09:04 AM
It's still spittin ice here at 9am.

rbgarr
11-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Gusts to 44 mph here (52 at the Pemaquid Point lighthouse, 63 at the Portland airport, Beaufort 8-9).

Thumping blasts clawing at the roof and raindrops smashing the windows. Power out from 2-8:30. A good night for cuddling in a warm bed in a tight house.

Bruce Hooke
11-08-2010, 09:23 AM
During the night the ground turned white with snow/sleet here in Providence. It's gone now but it was a bit shocking to see.

Breakaway
11-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Was snowing here when I took the kids to the bus stop an hour ago. Just rain now.

Keivn

StevenBauer
11-08-2010, 09:41 AM
About 30' of fence along one side of the property came down and lots of maple branches all over the yard. None too big thankfully. Daughter is home safe. Talisman is fine in the driveway. Schools are closed today. We get lots of snow days in winter but this is the first time I've heard of school being closed due to wind. Over 50,000 homes without power and lots of roads blocked by downed trees.

Steven

Joe (SoCal)
11-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Freaking SNOWING !!!! by me :(

Roger Long
11-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Looks like the Portland weather buoy was just knocked out.

StevenBauer
11-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Casco Bay Buoy 44007 looks good still. Wave heights are down to just over 8 ft. Wind gusts still 38 mph. Last night must have been pretty hairy out there. High tide is at noon. I'm glad Talisman is out for the season.

Steven

BrianW
11-08-2010, 10:19 AM
So.... this is not a drinking thread?

Canoez
11-08-2010, 10:41 AM
How long till your next beer, B-dub?

Ed Harrow
11-08-2010, 10:58 AM
So.... this is not a drinking thread?

It ought to be a drinking thread - Tucker and I just got back from the dog dentist... OMG

But, to the subject at hand. A beautiful sunset last night. SAM and I sat and watched the colors reflected in the lake, while drinking hot cider. We even had a discussion re the relevance of 'Red sky at night, etc.' She felt it was a fallacy. Well I'm used to being wrong, LOL.

Peak wind here - 25 knots out of the East. A bit of white crusty stuff about. I got an old tarp hauled up to partially block off the northerly end of Our Lady. The upper portion of the Southerly end I got closed off yesterday, but there's still a lot of flapping going on.

Steve, to where is you progeny going?

Bill R
11-08-2010, 11:11 AM
45 minutes of sleep last night with stations being off. Looked like a war zone this morning. 18" dia tree missed hitting my neighbor's house by about 2'. Somebody's soft sided shelter was in the street at the base of my driveway. The interesting part? None of my nearby neighbors have one...

Tons of trees down. SWMBO had to take a neighbor to work since half the association's roads were blocked by a huge oak that came down. There are a couple cars under it as well. Fortunately missed houses.

BrianW
11-08-2010, 11:15 AM
How long till your next beer, B-dub?

24 days at the Dubai Airport International Lounge. They have good food too.

But who's counting. ;)

Canoez
11-08-2010, 11:28 AM
24 days at the Dubai Airport International Lounge. They have good food too.

But who's counting. ;)

LOL! Yeah, I kinda figured that was on your mind a little.

StevenBauer
11-08-2010, 12:13 PM
I just heard the peak gust at the airport (2 miles from my house) was 63 mph this morning at 5am.

Steven

Bruce Hooke
11-08-2010, 01:05 PM
We even had a discussion re the relevance of 'Red sky at night, etc.' She felt it was a fallacy. Well I'm used to being wrong, LOL.

As I understand it, red sky at sunrise/sunset results from the sun's rays slipping in under a deck of clouds. So, in the morning if there is a red sky it means there is clear weather to the east and clouds overhead and likely to the west. In the evening, of course, it is reversed and the clear sky is to the west and the clouds are to the east. So, in regions where the major weather systems arrive from the west, which means the temperate latitudes but not the tropics or the arctic, the saying does work!

Ed Harrow
11-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Well I'd say today was an exception to the rule (tho we did have more than a wee bit of sun a few minutes ago, we're back to rain, of one sort or another, at the moment).

Bruce Hooke
11-08-2010, 01:18 PM
Well I'd say today was an exception to the rule (tho we did have more than a wee bit of sun a few minutes ago, we're back to rain, of one sort or another, at the moment).

It is certainly quite possible for exceptions to happen. In this case what may have happened is that since this is a coastal storm there were clear skies to the west down to the horizon so the sun's rays could slip under the clouds moving in more from the south than from the west.

Hunky Dory
11-09-2010, 03:26 PM
The wind on the Cape dropped off last night for a few hrs. It was blowing again this morning though. I did manage to get a 5 mile row in last night a little rainy but light winds for the first time since Thursday.