PDA

View Full Version : which beer goes best with tootsie rolls

Paul Pless
11-07-2010, 02:58 PM
So far I think this goes the best with leftover Halloween candy.

http://legalbeer.com/images/founders%20breakfast%20stout.jpg

C. Ross
11-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Young's Double Chocolate Stout

http://www.wellsandyoungs.co.uk/home/our-beers/ales/young-s-double-chocolate-stout#

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m109/beanbone/Youngs_Double_Chocolate_Stout_Can_2.jpg

It pretty much is a liquid tootsie roll. Get it in the can with the co2 widget.

bobbys
11-07-2010, 03:16 PM
We only passed out Budweiser to the kids but kept the tootsie rolls

seanz
11-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Bud? So when people worry about their kids being poisoned on Halloween............

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
11-07-2010, 03:27 PM
A glass of milk tastes better with tootsie rolls.
I'd switch to pretzels, peanuts, or popcorn for beer.
Beer and tootsie rolls will give you weird dreams for sure.

erster
11-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Is this thread part of a training seminar? You are not married yet, but need to ask others about a choice of beers.:d

katey
11-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Have you tried Moose Drool? Bet that would be good.

BarnacleGrim
11-07-2010, 03:44 PM
I could get into that. I've had a cow and two calves staying up on the hill for a week now.

katey
11-07-2010, 04:56 PM
BG, I was going to post a picture of the bottle (There really is a beer called Moose Drool!) but I think we'll all be better served if you post pictures of your visitors instead.

Fitz
11-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Sierra Nevada makes a Barleywine Style Ale called "Bigfoot". It is great in November next to a roaring fire. I highly recommend a few of those and skipping the Tootsie Rolls.

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/bigfoot.html

Fitz

David G
11-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Bigfoot is, indeed, a treat about this time of year. Since we've had unsesonably warm sunny weather here, I've been drinking Sierra Nevada "Torpedo", and other IPA's. I wouldn't recommend them with chocolate. In fact, I've never found a beer that actually compliments chocolate.

I'll keep searching.

Joe (SoCal)
11-07-2010, 06:15 PM
PFfffttt every good gourmet knows melt in your mouth drinkable reds go with chocolate - wine not beer is the choice of good gourmands who indulge in tootsi rolls ;)

seanz
11-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Ripple?

Captain Intrepid
11-07-2010, 06:35 PM
wine not beer is the choice of good gourmands who indulge in tootsi rolls ;)

Only those who like to limit themselves from delicious options! Thick creamy stouts and porters go excellently with chocolate, as do many malty beers. I've even heard of pairing citrusy IPAs with chocolate that orange or chillies in it.

Or a glass of port with some dark chocolate? Mmm!

David G
11-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Intrepid,

I love beer. I love chocolate. I hate to do disservice to either by trying to combine. Oatmeal stouts... chocolate stouts... coffee stouts... all of those combos that might shove beer close enought chocolate for them to mate up... still are too much of a reach for me.

But - to each his own There are no rules... it's just what YOU like, eh?

I don't really like wine with chocolate, either. But - I'm not much of a wine drinker anyway.

Now, port and chocolate... that I might give a try.

Joe (SoCal)
11-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Ripple?

Chianti or a nice dolcetto di alba ;)

Captain Intrepid
11-07-2010, 07:00 PM
But - to each his own There are no rules... it's just what YOU like, eh?

Bingo! I'll drink a white wine with red meat, or red wine with fish, or beer at a fancy dinner any day. It all depends on what works with my palate.

pefjr
11-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Root Beer.

Actually if you like that once in awhile chocolate taste , try a 1/3 cup of orange juice with 2/3 strong coffee(tastes like an orange slice chocolate) or melt a tootsie roll in your coffee, or put a half cup of hot chocolate with 1/2 cup coffee. Cures a sweet toothache.

Fitz
11-07-2010, 07:16 PM
It is Very seasonal. Right about now, maybe a few days from now, depending on Global Warming and a few hoar frosts or so, the Porters kick in, and then about the time of the first snowstorm, Stout. Period. Then let the cycle begin again.

I have noticed my Porter season is getting alarmingly short. Sh@t, better call a climatologist or someone.

Tom from Rubicon
11-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Gentlemen,
Tootsie Rolls like any chocolate go down fine with any lager bier. That said; four years ago Sprecher Brewing in Milwaukee, WI.
produced a beir with hints of chocolate and rasberry that was to die for. Had I known I surely would have put up at least a case.

TerryLL
11-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Well crap you guys.
I'm on a diet and been on the wagon for decades. These kinds of threads really piss me right the heck off. I'm missing some of the great pleasures in life.

C. Ross
11-07-2010, 07:55 PM
I think I remember that Sprecher beer! Some of it was shipped to us heathens in Minnesota.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout has chocolate in it. It doesn't go well with chocolate, it is part chocolate.

Now, if we're talking about desserts and alcohol as a whole....some of my favorites...
Port is excellent with chocolate, so are most zinfandels.
Scotch and shortbread cookies are a lethal combination, IMO.
A nice sauternes goes nicely with any fatty dessert, like cheesecake. It's the classic pair for foie gras which is nothing but fat.
A couple of weeks ago in a fancy restaurant (business dinner, not on my tab!) I had a sparkling syrah that was boy-howdy tasty.

mommicked
11-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Beer and chocolate are two wonderful tastes that I can't see working together. It is indeed unfair to either. I hate almost all wine, except some local home made rot gut that I truly like.

If I had to pick a beer to go with chocolate, it would be a light fizzy beer to counter the chocolate. I don't drink smoke beer with smoked fish or bacon or ham, it makes them compete for the same flavor. So I'd never consider a chocolate stout or porter as being the right route.

Although I could drink Killian's, Bud Light, or Guiness with damned near anything.

S/V Laura Ellen
11-07-2010, 08:37 PM
And it's not just for breakfast anymore!

Bobby of Tulsa
11-08-2010, 09:01 AM
I remember an old commercial, I always think of at times like this. Beer goes good with anything, but purple.