PDA

View Full Version : 1947 - 40' Criss Craft Info ?

J. A.Tones
11-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Can anyone give me some idea as to how these boats were constructed, hull wise. A friend of mine is looking at one that the owner claims is leaking but we have no idea as to the construction methods used. Would it possibly be the same method as the one the chap on the list here has rebuilt with the plywood panels?
Thanks for any info provided.

John Tones "Penta"
Sidney, BC

Lew Barrett
11-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Model and photos, please.

J. A.Tones
11-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Lew - the best I can do is this site showing what apparently is a similar vessel. I am operating at arms length with this trying to help my friend.
Do you know if they used plywood for the bottom?

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1947/Chris-Craft-Tri-Cabin-2261283/Everett/WA/United-States

Thanks
John

wizbang 13
11-07-2010, 12:30 PM
I think the bottom of that boat is dbl. planked, inside layer @45degrees, outside layer for n aft.
Topside planking is board n batten.
standard CC construction, top of the line for its' day. Wood quality was excellent. sadly, these connies and their cousins take their licks from decades of rain and neglect. It is a good boat to keep in a boathouse, not a good boat to be outside all the time.
Poke around EVERYWHERE
A boat can be 100% sound and leaking , or rotten and dry. The leak itself may not be the main event.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
11-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Wizbang is correct, two layers of plank, Tanquille, (real phillipine mahogany-doesn't exist anymore) canvas in between the layers. Yes, some people would use plywood for a bottom, I would not, but it does have it's merits.

A boat that size needs to be hauled, and a thorough survey done by a surveyor knowledgeable in wooden boats. A 40 foot wooden boat of that vintage could kill 50k in restoration costs faster than a pit bull on a chicken. A complete mechanical should be done as well. Nice boats, but given that you can buy a nice one these days around the 75k mark, you would want to be pretty careful of what appears to be a bargain.

J. A.Tones
11-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the info guys, just what we needed.
Now all he needs to to get a decent surveyor involved and see what is really needed.
Again, thanks
John

brad9798
11-08-2010, 03:20 PM
What PMJ posted is 100% accurate ... all the way around ... from construction to next steps.

I take Peter's $50k and up it to $100k if one is not careful! ;)

brad9798
11-14-2010, 08:05 PM
So ... J.A. Tones ... what say you?!?