Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phillip Allen
    • May 2002

off to pick up my new stove

350 pounds shipping wt. and I'm by myself...we'll see (one of them yodeling stoves, I forgot how to spell it)
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.
  • Captain Blight
    Banned
    • May 2008

Re: off to pick up my new stove

Yodeling stove, huh?

I'm guessing a JØTUL?

350 lb, huh? Well, be careful and don't do like ya did when you tinned your face last year. Good luck!!

Comment

• Canoez
      Did I say that out loud?
      • Sep 2007

Jøtul? Which model?

Had an F500 Oslo in my last house. Heated the whole place with it. Wonderful stove.
      "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
      -William A. Ward

Comment

• Mrleft8
        Banned
        • Feb 2000

Had a Jotul. Most worthless piece of crap woodstove I ever saw. Theoretically it had a "catlytic converter" so it burned the gasses after burning the wood, making it efficient and eviro-friendly. Ýou had to burn the thing so hot to get it up to "afterburn"stage that it'd go through wood like grease through a goose. If you burned it so that wood lasted as long as it should, it'd die out and go cold. Kept it for 1 season, then went back to my old dented "Better-N-Ben's", which was the best stove I ever had. The Garrison I have now is pretty good though.

Comment

• Canoez
          Did I say that out loud?
          • Sep 2007

Mebbe you had a lemon. I had good luck and could load it in the morning let it burn hot for a bit while I had a shower and throttle it back. Load it when I got home from work, let it burn hot while I had dinner and throttle it back. Feed it just before bed a bit let it burn and throttle it back. If you did leave it wide open too long, I agree with the "grease through a goose" comment.
          "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
          -William A. Ward

Comment

• katey
            gardens with goats
            • Feb 2006

I've never met a stove with a catalytic that I liked. The secondary combustion models seem to work just as well at keeping the air clean and are much less of a pain in the tush.

Comment

• Phillip Allen
              • May 2002

it's model F3 CB...non catalytic wood stove

some office moron in traffic decided to play clutch-butt-touch-pp and I had to slam on the brakes...it roled over but I can't find any damage yet...can't check the back until the neighbors get home and help me lift it up and set it on its legs...I won't tip it up for fear of breaking the legs

it's heavy (did I tell you that?)
              The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.

Comment

• Canoez
                Did I say that out loud?
                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by katey
                I've never met a stove with a catalytic that I liked. The secondary combustion models seem to work just as well at keeping the air clean and are much less of a pain in the tush.
                The Jotul doesn't have a catalytic converter. It's got a secondary combustion at the top of the firebox where new air is introduced to help burn remaining particulate before it goes up the flue. You've got to get a good balance of temperature and airflow to keep the secondary combustion going. DAMHIKT.
                -William A. Ward

Comment

• paladin
                  Senior Senior Member
                  • Dec 2000

Good grief Phillip...buy a decent stove like the Dickenson.
                  Wakan Tanka Kici Un
                  ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
                  Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
                  Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
                  "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Comment

• Rich Jones
                    What boat to build next?
                    • Apr 2009

I love my stove with the catalytic converter/burner. Mine works just like Canoez. Nice dry oak and maple. As far as moving it, I got mine into the house by myself. Think like an ancient Egyptian. Lots of rollers and levers.
                    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
                    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Comment

• katey
                      gardens with goats
                      • Feb 2006

Al and I managed to get our 405 lb. stove out of the back of the pickup, up three stairs into the house, and across a stretch of wood floor non-destructively, but it wasn't easy. Be careful, Phillip, and if it starts to move in an unexpected direction, DON'T try to stop it!

Comment

• Phillip Allen
                        • May 2002

I worked it to the tailgate and got it on its feet...some damage but easy to repair and covers up as well. Too damn heavy to get out of the truck by myself and my kids aren't answering their phones...did one of you guys tell them?

Comment

• TerryLL
                          Lake Pend Oreille Idaho
                          • Mar 2007

F3 CB.

I installed one of these darlings three winters ago. A very nice and perfectly behaved stove that heats my little 1200 sq. ft. house all by itself. Good draft controls and the glass stays clean. But they are heavy little suckers. I thing Phillip mentioned that.

Comment

• Phillip Allen
                            • May 2002

well, no one to help so I'm doing it myself...taking it apart and reassembling inside...agravatin but it's will work out

Comment

• MiddleAgesMan
                              • Jul 2007

I used that technique when I built the 42' steel schooner, but in reverse. The steel parts were brought in and man-handled and come-alonged and jacked into place. Once the parts were welded, though, there was no disassembly possible; that's where the 65 ton crane comes into play.

Your small (non-welded) stove should be a piece of cake.
                              Goat Island Skiff and Simmons Sea Skiff construction photos here:

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...esMan/?start=0

and here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37973275@N03/

"All kings are not the same."

Comment

Working...