PDA

View Full Version : LiL baby diesel

jclays
11-03-2010, 10:57 PM
My son and his buddy gave me a little kubota 3 cylinder diesel. Its a small little dude. Aprox 750cc 18.8hp with very low hours, 6 inch flywheel. Idles dead slowwww. Runs great. It used to power a refrigerator unit on a refrigerated tractor trailer. Also used on a little bobcat type tractor. What can I do with this engine????Power a plywood skiff Brockway style but a little narrower in about a 18ft maybe 20ft??? Hmmmm the ideas are flowing. Some input??? Please???

Auroradan
11-04-2010, 12:52 AM
You can use that power plant to push most any size boat you want to build. My 7-8000# Whaleboat uses a 1.9 liter Isuzu C-190. About 35hp but hull can only use about 15hp of it (displacement hull, good for 9 knot max). I've run the idea of a diesel pushing my Brockway around. If I had not bought the Whaleboat it may have happened.

Here is a short video of my Isuzu running on a day long cruise we took last spring: http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/auroradan/Ajax%20Cruise/?action=view&current=DSCF0644.mp4 (http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t4/auroradan/Ajax%20Cruise/?action=view&current=DSCF0644.mp4)

Dan

Figment
11-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Lil baby diesel deserves a lil baby tugboat.

wizbang 13
11-04-2010, 11:31 AM
I have an 18hp 3cyl in storage too, (M-20 perama). Always dreaming of where she'll go . Had it in my 12 tonner for 10 years,was a little small, but smooth like a sewing machine and not thirsty.

seasailor55
11-04-2010, 03:57 PM
My son and his buddy gave me a little kubota 3 cylinder diesel. Its a small little dude. Aprox 750cc 18.8hp with very low hours, 6 inch flywheel. Idles dead slowwww. Runs great. It used to power a refrigerator unit on a refrigerated tractor trailer. Also used on a little bobcat type tractor. What can I do with this engine????Power a plywood skiff Brockway style but a little narrower in about a 18ft maybe 20ft??? Hmmmm the ideas are flowing. Some input??? Please???

Out of a tractor trailer refrigeration unit....hmmmmm? Interesting possibilities here. Anybody know where I could find one?

seasailor55

"The best bilge pump is a frightened man with a horse bucket!"

Chris Smith porter maine
11-04-2010, 05:03 PM
I sure liked the looks of the Rescue Minor a few issue's back
Chris Smith

paladin
11-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Check out Jay Benfords little 14 foot Tugboat "Grivit"......

davebrown
11-04-2010, 09:21 PM
I've liked that Rescue Minor ever since White wrote about it. Then about six months ago I was looking at a sailboat for sale, up the road a piece here, and the seller had a three year old, unfinished Rescue Minor. It was strip planked, and much larger than I imagined from photos or drawings. His looked to be about 20x8, but that was a guess. The guy was moving to Washington and I thought to myself that it would die a slow death rotting under the oak trees, and I saw it was still there a month or two ago--the builder is gone.

jclays
11-04-2010, 10:35 PM
After building this 12' skiff Ive got on saw horses right now I think that I might start another plywood flat bottomed skiff. Something like Walt Barron's 20ft skiff and maybe install this little guy. Gotta find a tranny that will give me forward neutral and reverse. 1:1 ratio??

Soundman67
11-04-2010, 10:48 PM
I would wait til you figure out the size of the boat and how much propeller you can get back there before you go and buy a gearbox for that motor. That way you can buy the prop and the gearbox together. It will help to mate that motor to whatever boat you decide to go with.

jclays
11-06-2010, 12:58 AM
Right now Im thinking of a 20ft flat bottom skiff since that was one of my next build choices. Im thinking this might work out pretty good.

James McMullen
11-06-2010, 08:16 AM
I am re-powering my 23' Stone Horse Sloop with a Beta 10 which is a marinized 2-cylinder Kubota. Even that it is more powerful than necessary for a displacement boat of this size, but it's just about the smallest 2-banger diesel they make. Your 18 horse is more than ample to drive a light 20 foot skiff, no problem!

Breakaway
11-06-2010, 03:07 PM
What about a power dory (http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/AbiePorpoise.html)(auxiliary sail)
http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/images/AbiePorpoise-3.gif

paladin
11-06-2010, 03:16 PM
That little engine is used on their 9/10 kw generator or the 12 I believe, more than enough engine for several boats.

donald branscom
11-07-2010, 01:00 PM

Photos????

wizbang 13
11-07-2010, 08:11 PM
I wonder if a chap could hook that little hi rev diesel into a small,slight vee bottom ,light boat with the direct drive,( or any gear ratio ) and get it to plane? Say, 15 -18 mph? What is the smallest diesel planning boat?

seo
11-07-2010, 09:46 PM
A rule of thumb for displacement sailboats is that you need one horsepower per thousand pounds of boat weight. To be conservative, get hold of the horsepower curve (Westerbeke probably shows it in their literature) and pick the horsepower off the "continuous" curve, at maybe 2,000 rpm. It won't likely be 18.8 hp, which is likely peak intermittent, running quite a bit faster than 2,000. The Westerbeke 30c, which looks like your engine, is rated at 25 hp (18.7 kW) at 3600rpms, which would likely be pretty noisy, and not long-lived.
One thing that I look at when trying to figure out the best speed for continuous use is to look up what speed they run the engine at for generator service. Because generators just run at one rpm, it stands to reason that within limits the builder uses the best speed. Westerbeke runs their 3-cylinder Kubota engines at 1800 rpm for their generators.
At 1800 rpm, the 30c produces 15 hp, while at 2200 rpm it's about 18 hp.
That would make a nice engine for a sailboat around 28-32 feet. Something like a Pulsifer Hampton:
http://www.pulsiferhampton.com/
would probably do just fine with this engine. There used to be a lot of little open launches like these used for inshore lobstering. They're very nice boats, easy to manage and able to move along pretty well. But the lobstering boats were pretty much converted to outboards. I think that Phil Bolger designed a nice boat of the type. Can't think of the name.
SEO