PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Grand Banks 1966 (42 foot)

Katie&John
09-24-2000, 09:20 AM
We are contemplating the purchase of our first wooden boat - a Grand Banks 1966 all wood - 42 feet. Aside from getting a survey done, what else should we be prepared for? Has anyone out there had experience with Grand Banks? We know the deckhouses usually have some rot and sometimes the windows leak. Any information or experience you could share would be greatly appreciated! thank you, we are new to this forum. We live in Maine.

nedL
09-27-2000, 12:55 PM
As I remember, the older Grand Banks had a good reputation, and were considered higher quality boats at that time. If I am correct we are talking about being built on the Pacific rim (Hong Kong maybe?). I would therefore certainly agree with a first rate survey and check the soundness of all wood and fastenings. (Just remember that a Grand Banks will limit you to a cruising speed of about 8.5 - 9 knots.) - Ned

Dale Harvey
09-27-2000, 05:39 PM
At this vintage, if the vessel has seen any use at all, most problems will have already manifested themselves and been repaired. Judging the appropriateness and quality of the repairs will require a really top notch surveyor. If the engines have not already been out, they likely will need to come out soon. If it was done right the first time, there will be provision for removeing structure to allow the block, or preferably the entire engine, to go thru the deckhouse top. There are much better power plants on the market now. Most of my direct experience has been on 'glass hulls. Folks I have talked to that have had both, considered the woodies to have a better handeling hull. A 42 that was in my care for many years had been extensivly modified to exceed expected hull speed before a lengthy trip thru the Carribean. A plywood panel had been applied to the bottom, about 1 1/4" thick at the transom tapering out to nothing in about 10 ft. This "planeing wedge" and large trim tabs combined with taller than normal reduction gearing and larger props allowed her to make 20mph with 210 Cats, at a time when most of her sisters would have done well to make 10. Running at speed in seas, this was a really wet boat. As a result seawater had poured down thru the engine vents on the cabin trunk and started a terrible rust problem on the tops of the fuel tanks. If she had a good big "Cow Catcher" sprayrail from stem to stern, she would likely have made 25mph. More importantly, she would have been a lot drier boat with less "corkscrew" in her motion underway. If there is any problem at all in the decks, they will have to be totaly ripped up and redone. No patchwork will hold, and the beams rot from the center out. If you have to replace them make sure to increase the camber and pitch so that water does not stop and pool, but runs cleanly to and out of the scuppers. Never replace teak decking with anything less than 3/4"on the lowers and lay it all over epoxy/cloth with nothing but Smith or Detco 2 part caulk.

Jack Logan
09-30-2000, 12:55 AM
Have your surveyor check the chine bolts. They tend to loosen with time, and require a plank removed to tighten behind the fuel tanks. Great cruising boat, but don't try to make it plane, enjoy the ride. Ran my 36 up and down the Pacific Coast with complete confidence.

Eric Krueger
10-17-2000, 07:50 PM
Actually I'm Ross Faneuf. I have a friend who is a surveyor (NAMS) and he says that if it has the original mild steel fuel tanks, to consider them condemned sight unseen. He says they always rust and foul badly. A survey will tell you their condition in any case.