PDA

View Full Version : Waste Tank Question

chuckt
10-27-2010, 09:16 AM
I am trying to figure out how to design my waste system for my 1950 30' Chris Craft. I figure, at most, we might occaisonally be on board for 2-3 days. In 1950, there was no waste tank so I am putting in a 25 gallon tank. Good size? I read Nigel Calder's book on systems and he recommends not having any hose that will have effluent sitting in it. That makes sense but I assume you must have one end of the hose in the effluent in order to pump out. So how to do this? And the only space I can see to put the tank in under the forward berths. I can just picture trying to go to sleep and hearing the tank slosh around and knowing what it is not being able to drop off. Bleh! Should I get barbs on the tanks for hoses or threaded fittings or does it matter? 1 1/2 inside diameter hose fittings?

paladin
10-27-2010, 09:36 AM
Google "Headmistress" and search for recommendations.

Ian McColgin
10-27-2010, 09:40 AM
I much recommend a manufactured plastic tank with preinstalled intake, outlet and vacuum relief fittings on the top. This means you need an inch or so space above the tank, minimum. Standard for intake and outlet is 1-1/2". Not threaded. Double hose clamps.

At anchor and such the slosh won't be a big deal but it seems like that location could be a long hose run for the intake (outlet from the head).

The modern plastic units designed for holding tanks really don't permiate and stink in less than 15 or 20 years but even really high quality hose has a hard time staying stink-proof more than a decade. It's worth investing here rather than skimp or do-it-yourself.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
10-27-2010, 10:14 AM
I have a 36 foot Chris Craft... and the tank is installed underneath the V berth on the same side as the head. It has a shelf in 3/4 inch ply with supports to hold it, with some blocking to keep it from moving around, and a nylon strap over top. I used a TODD brand tank as Ian has recommended, with 1 1/2 inch hose and double clamps. The vent hose goes up inside the v berth panelling and exits outside the hull. There is a slim hanging locker between the v berth and the bulkhead for the head, and that's where my vented loop is. My tank is 30 gallons US and that seems to be plenty for our kind of cruising.

chuckt
10-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Chuck's suggested google search led me to this. Good nuggets of info are burried in the archives. http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31 Ian--I definitely am buying a manufactured tank. Ronco has lots of sizes. Ian--my head is right next to the forward "cabin" so it is a short run. My only other option is to take out the old ice cooler and use that space--I just hate to do that--I think that old cooler is pretty neat and I hate to lose storage space. The space under the forward berths is not good storage space. I could put it behind the engines but that is an 18 foot run. Too far? Maybe not--it would be downhill all the way.

donald branscom
10-27-2010, 10:55 AM
I would forget the whole deal.
Just use a bucket with one of those toilet seat lids. Put a cup of bleach in the bottom.
When you return you just put the lid on and take it to the toilet or pump out and dump it out.
Always tidy up any spills. It is the right thing to do.

You may not even need to use it. Depending where you go.

BTW When i was a liveaboard I had a 11 gallon plastic tank and that was good
for one month because I was at work during the day time.

After living on board for 10 years I realized i did not need any of those hoses, tanks, or valves.
Just a bucket with nice toilet seat lid.

Another liveaboard who was very experienced, told me but I did not listen.
I wish I had .

boattruck
10-28-2010, 09:06 AM
Chuck, While the bucket idea has a certain rustic appeal, we live in a world where we now know a bucket full of sewage tossed over the side in most places, is a bad thing... A 25 gallen tank will suffice for a long weekend and likely can be fit in your v berth area. Long hose runs are not a good thing, especially when you start totalling up the cost of the better hose, use the carbon odor filter on the vent line. The odors do come from the hoses, eventually, but this takes a decade to start, in salt water, in fresh, likely longer...Have fun, but don't leave a mess, Cheers, BT

Mike Vogdes
10-28-2010, 09:43 AM
The space under the forward berths is not good storage space. I could put it behind the engines but that is an 18 foot run. Too far? Maybe not--it would be downhill all the way.

I think its best to try and keep toilet and holding tank components in close proximity to one another so you avoid long runs, but it is possible to use PVC pipe for that 18' run, just join it to the soft hose with barbed hose couplers double clamped to the soft hose and Fernco fittings to the PVC pipe.

Todd D
10-28-2010, 01:10 PM
25 gallons is more than enough for 2 people over a three day period. We have a 13 gallon tank and find it adequate for 3-4 days. I plumbed my tank with all the fittings at the top. The discharge is a piece of 1.5" PVC pipe I fit that extends to within 1/2" of the bottom of the tank. I also plumbed my system so that the waste goes directly into the tank. I have a Y-valve in the pumpout line to allow overboard discharge when I am outside the 3 mile limit.

Finally, we flush with fresh water. I accomplished that by plumbing the head intake to the sink drain. To flush we just run some water into the sink. That allows us to very carefully control how much water goes into the holding tank. We also only use water to flush after solids are put in the head and at the end of the day for an end of day rinse.

donald branscom
10-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Chuck, While the bucket idea has a certain rustic appeal, we live in a world where we now know a bucket full of sewage tossed over the side in most places, is a bad thing... A 25 gallen tank will suffice for a long weekend and likely can be fit in your v berth area. Long hose runs are not a good thing, especially when you start totalling up the cost of the better hose, use the carbon odor filter on the vent line. The odors do come from the hoses, eventually, but this takes a decade to start, in salt water, in fresh, likely longer...Have fun, but don't leave a mess, Cheers, BT

You NEVER throw a bucket of waste overboard!!!
You take it to the pump out station OR take it to a public toilet.
AND you clean up if you spill or splash!!!!

chuckt
10-28-2010, 03:43 PM
I don't know why I didn't see it before but there is an awesome space just across form the head under the built in seat where the table is. And all the plmibing can run through the bilge. Don't know whay I didn't see it earlier. Found at the link above a recommendation to use hard plastic for any elements that will have effluent sitting in them.