PDA

View Full Version : Worth mentionning...

Peacefuljourney
10-22-2010, 01:24 PM
I have made a test with timbers, poison and dolphinite which I think it's worth mentionning.

I use VG high grade BC fir, put 3 coats of green poison on it(copper naphthenate), let it dry complety between coat and let it sit severals day before bolting together for the test.

The wood was saturated and really the green look of full of poison, I bolted it with Dolphinite (Which is cream color) and let it sit high and dry for 2 months.

Opening it up, reveled the fir is as clean as if you just bought it. Not a trace of Green on it, but the dolphinite is entirely green.

Interesting...

Bob Cleek
10-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Seems like Dolphinite soaks up copper naphthenate better than wood does. Not particularly remarkable to a chemist, I'd expect. Actually, Dolphinite used to be called "Fungicidal Bedding Compound." Now, it's just "Bedding Compound." Still great bedding compound, but it no longer contains any fungicide. I believe it used to contain tributyl tin oxide ("TBTO") but that extremely effective fungicide has been pretty much outlawed all over the world. It's easier to buy a kilo of heroin than a quart of TBTO in a solvent carrier these days. (I know, I've tried... the TBTO, not the heroin!) TBTO used to be used in paints, particularly bottom paint, bedding compounds and the like and worked extremely well. It is indeed a "heavy metal" prone to serious pollution, but, IMHO, the environmental exposure resulting from proper use (i.e, we're not talking about toxic spills of tank cars full of the stuff)) was really quite minimal. It's passing was just another thing that makes keeping a wooden boat alive these days a lot harder task.

peter radclyffe
10-22-2010, 02:10 PM
my favourite is diesel, marmite & chilli pepper

paladin
10-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Joke all you want.....In Thailand I'd buy 3-4 pounds of the red bird peppers....dried.....have them ground (who-me? are you crazy?) and mix them with the bottom paint....bottom clean as a whistle 'till next go around.

peter radclyffe
10-22-2010, 07:47 PM
its no joke, 98% of marine life & 98% of people in the world will not touch marmite