PDA

View Full Version : Gaaaaahhhh!

katey
10-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Note to self: Check hearing protectors (that have been hanging off the handle of the lawnmower for a week) for large hairy spiders BEFORE installing on ears!

bobbys
10-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Foist thing i check every time Lassie..

Also check shoes..

Check rim of Mets baseball cap too.

I also do not pick up things on the ground without inspecting foist as I have squished many a Banana slug between me fingers!.

I think the spiders are worse then the Slugs though.

john welsford
10-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Note to self: Check hearing protectors (that have been hanging off the handle of the lawnmower for a week) for large hairy spiders BEFORE installing on ears!

Forgive me for rolling on the floor laughing, it must have felt pretty unfunny at the time and its a good point. I'll remember it.

John Welsford

seanz
10-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Paranoia is your frieeeeend.
:)

I always check first and we just don't have the spiders here that we had where I grew up...but I still check.

I know it's wrong but I laughed....and I'm still laughing while I type....:D:D:D:D:D

Garret
10-12-2010, 05:16 PM
That would have me expostulating as well!

Another important one I have to remind myself of every so often: It's easier to get out of the car after you undo the seatbelt....

katey
10-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Oh, I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't want you to laugh at it! I imagine I looked about like one of those cartoon characters whose eyes pop out on springs... :)

katey
10-12-2010, 05:24 PM
I have little showercap-like protective covers over the ear-cups of my hearing protection.

Of course you do! ;)

bobbys
10-12-2010, 05:26 PM
i have little showercap-like protective covers over the ear-cups of my hearing protection..

Sexy!!!

Mrleft8
10-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Been there, done that, have the psychic scars to prove it.......

seanz
10-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Been there, done that, have the psychic scars to prove it.......

Hmmm...scars eh? One day, if I have enough tranquilizers handy, I might tell my spider story.....it involves dozens of huntsman spiders.

katey
10-12-2010, 05:37 PM
They sell them at the same gunshop where I buy the protectors.

Yes, yes, yes..... mine are actually for shooting too. However, any little shower caps would be eaten by a goat almost immediately.

eta: My actual shower cap has devil duckies on it. Beat that!

seanz
10-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Yes, yes, yes..... mine are actually for shooting too. However, any little shower caps would be eaten by a goat almost immediately.

eta: My actual shower cap has devil duckies on it. Beat that!

Comedy gold-mine........:D

gibetheridge
10-12-2010, 06:54 PM
I always check my gumboots for rattlesnakes and mice. There aren't any rattlesnakes around here, I check anyway. I sometimes look under my bed for gaunthers, and I NEVER let my feet hang over the end, because even if there aren't any gaunthers I'm not taking ANY chances with crocodiles.

David G
10-12-2010, 08:03 PM
I went hiking in Texas one time, and didn't check my boots before putting them back on. Luckily, I shoved my foot in so fast and hard that I squished that little scorpion before he had a chance to nail me. It makes me shudder to think about hiking out with a scorpion bite on my foot.

Here in the NW, we usually only have to worry about slugs in our boots. Gross, but not painful or poisonous.

LongIslandBoy
10-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Gaunthers?

wizbang 13
10-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Centipedes are dangerous here. (Caribbean) More so than tarantulas or scorpions(both common). I don't sleep on shore often, but shake out them trousers real well when I do.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
10-12-2010, 10:04 PM
When I first moved to Texas, I hung my swim shorts on the clothes line to dry.
After a hot day at work, I quickly pulled them off the line and slipped them on, all ready to take a dip in the nice cool pool....right?
One small problem, I failed to notice my shorts were covered with Fire ants!!!
I was totally traumatized but my friends thought it was really funny.

Tom Montgomery
10-12-2010, 10:08 PM
http://www.thinksafetysigns.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/doh-homer-simpson.jpg

TerryLL
10-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Ah, the joy of living in the far north, where all the critters likely to bite you are very large and furry.

David G
10-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Ahhh, yes. Fire ants.

We had no idea.

Moved to Austin for grad school. Our son was about 4 at the time. One of the first things we did was set up a SlipNSlide in the front yard. He was having great fun until he slid into an anthill. Hayyyyzeusss did he scream. He couldn't figure out what was getting him... and for a bit, neither could we.

Texas... you can have it.

David G
10-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Ah yeah.

Also in Texas.

For a while, I worked as a project manager there. I had a secretary who invited us out for bbq. After driving ninety zillion miles out into nothingness, we found her place. Real nice folks. Odd hobbies.

One hobby - they had converted an old outbuilding into a zoo. Composed entirely of poisonous, venomous, or otherwise noxious critters. Rattlesnakes, gila monsters, centipedes, tarantulas, etc. etc. etc. We got to meet one of the barn cats who'd gotten into the place, jumped up on top of one of the cages and gotten nailed in the foot by a rattlesnake. They made her comfy and set her by the stove to die. She didn't, but all the flesh rotted off of one front claw. Creepy.

Another hobby - rattlesnake hunts. Find dens. Pour diesel down the hole. Torch. Kill the snakes as they come boiling out - with everything from 22's to shotguns. Great fun, I tell you.

I did go turkey hunting with them one time. That was a real sweet time. We left Austin in the middle of the night to meet them and hike into the spot before daylight. As day dawned - and it was a gorgeous morning - the turkeys came sauntering along. Some turkey must of heard something (I didn't). One moment there were more than a dozen in sight. Next moment... nothing. No one even got a shot. It was a lovely day, nonetheless. We drank some beer to console ourselves, then switched to whiskey when we got back to the house.

Texas - it has a few redeeming characteristics. Very few.

oznabrag
10-13-2010, 11:10 AM

Texas - it has a few redeeming characteristics. Very few.

One of the principal redeeming features is the fact that I live here. It just makes the whole place better!

Garret
10-13-2010, 11:14 AM
One of the principal redeeming features is the fact that I live here. It just makes the whole place better!

No one with an egocentric viewpoint here, eh? :d

A friend just got back from a visit to Austin & loved it. He's planning his vacation next year around the City Limits concert weekend.

oznabrag
10-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Yep, ACL rocks pretty hard. The year I went I got to see the awesome John Fogarty, who rocked it old school, and David Byrne, who had twenty-five or thirty people on stage. He wore them ALL to a frazzle, then got on his bicycle and rode back to his place.

And no, there is no egocentricity in Texas, we're better than that.

chasbartlett
10-13-2010, 11:24 AM
I was invited to a rattlesnake hunt near Denton Texas with Chuck and friends. My first. I watched he and others shuffle along the area where we expected (they expected) to find lots of snakes. The would use sticks about 5 feet/6 feet long to try to pin the snake down, then grab it behind the head and drop it tail first into a doubled up burlap bag, 2-3 snakes per bag.
After a couple days of this I began to feel that I was experienced enough. I finally pinned one down with a couple of the folks watching and guiding me, I reached down to grab the snake, and I saw Chuck's eyes sorta move "like don't do it" and then I saw him draw his pistol and fire and scared the crap out of me. I almost messed my jeans right there. There was a very big rattler behind me as I reached for the one in front, and one of the guys said the snake had already thrown himself toward my butt when Chuck started to draw and blew the snakes head off. That was the last time I went snake hunting.

Garret
10-13-2010, 11:24 AM
And no, there is no egocentricity in Texas, we're better than that.

Then why the big hats? ;-)

oznabrag
10-13-2010, 11:26 AM
The better to protect our Texas-sized brains!

Garret
10-13-2010, 11:32 AM
The better to protect our Texas-sized brains!

The largest brain on record belonged to someone with (IIRC) an IQ in the 60's.

Just sayin...;-)

Phillip Allen
10-13-2010, 12:19 PM
I was invited to a rattlesnake hunt near Denton Texas with Chuck and friends. My first. I watched he and others shuffle along the area where we expected (they expected) to find lots of snakes. The would use sticks about 5 feet/6 feet long to try to pin the snake down, then grab it behind the head and drop it tail first into a doubled up burlap bag, 2-3 snakes per bag.
After a couple days of this I began to feel that I was experienced enough. I finally pinned one down with a couple of the folks watching and guiding me, I reached down to grab the snake, and I saw Chuck's eyes sorta move "like don't do it" and then I saw him draw his pistol and fire and scared the crap out of me. I almost messed my jeans right there. There was a very big rattler behind me as I reached for the one in front, and one of the guys said the snake had already thrown himself toward my butt when Chuck started to draw and blew the snakes head off. That was the last time I went snake hunting.

bumped just to make sure this is read...

paladin
10-13-2010, 12:42 PM
I might add that I was about 5 feet from the snake and the single action is a .44 special loaded with 1 oz of #8 shot.....and Charley lies...he did go again, in Okiehoma, and he seemed to like fried rattler, he ate enough of it along with fried okra and cornbread.

oznabrag
10-13-2010, 02:38 PM
The largest brain on record belonged to someone with (IIRC) an IQ in the 60's.

Just sayin...;-)

See there? That 60 IQ and a big head thang, again! All I'm sayin' is that we Texans may be smarter'n erraboddih else, but we don't go 'round braggin' about it all the time!

Phillip Allen
10-13-2010, 02:44 PM
See there? That 60 IQ and a big head thang, again! All I'm sayin' is that we Texans may be smarter'n erraboddih else, but we don't go 'round braggin' about it all the time!

oznabrag was SO smart...that, as early as 7 years old, he had already started noticin the flies buzzin around his crib

oznabrag
10-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Thass right, Philip, and by age 9 I'd figured out that they don't taste half bad, either. A little Texas Pete'll make anything better!

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQ2CGUWcgWVZ8hKrsPc-ASduxgl3-XX22UQXDnEaZimeZNhv4&t=1&usg=__sPPm_xFCfZeyA47OrsYFB4IGt1I=

10-13-2010, 03:03 PM
There once was a blind man who decided to visit Texas.

When he arrived on the plane,he felt the seats and said, "Wow, these seats are big!"

The person next to him answered,"Everything is big in Texas."

When he finally arrived in Texas, he decided to visit a bar.
Upon arriving in the bar, he ordered a beer and got a mug placed between his hands. He exclaimed, "Wow these mugs are big!"

The bartender replied, "Everything is big in Texas."

After a couple of beers, the blind man asked the bartender where the bathroom was located. The bartender replied, "Second door to the right." The blind man headed for the bathroom, but accidentally tripped over and skipped the second door. Instead, he entered the third door, which lead to the swimming pool and fell into the pool by accident.

Scared to death, the blind man started shouting...

"Don't flush, don't flush!"

katey
10-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Thread drift is awesome! :)

Phillip Allen
10-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Thread drift is awesome! :)

it just means that you throw a good party!

cs
10-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Years ago I made a habit of shaking out my shoes every time I put them on. I've been places where all kinds of nasties can crawl up inside.

Chad

10-13-2010, 05:29 PM
I've made a habit out of shakin my shorts out before I put em on, ever since the fire ant episode.

paladin
10-13-2010, 09:14 PM
I called Charley and asked why he posted that...he said it sorta fit the occasion.

Phillip Allen
10-13-2010, 09:20 PM
I called Charley and asked why he posted that...he said it sorta fit the occasion.

NEVER...let the truth get in the way of a good story! :)

David G
10-13-2010, 09:31 PM

For some reason - I'm inclined to believe Charlie's version <G>