PDA

View Full Version : CQ, Captain Blight

Ed Harrow
10-05-2010, 10:31 PM
I hate PMs... But I just noticed this. I can't reply in kind because things are 'stopped up'.

I dunno yet what I'm going to do re the fork - but parts, there I've a need.

You might notice the sleeves (I don't know what else to call them) on the bars. They're totally trashed, and I've never seen anything quite like them.

Now, in another directtion, I have 2 Raleigh Record Aces of the same vintage, and I need a new handle bar grip 'shockstop' or something close to that. I could take a photo.

And, in still another direction, I have a Torpado that dates to ~ 1960 - has three-piece Campy, low-flange hubs. The center section is, of course, chromed, and in the case of the front hub, the chrome is peeling. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Ed

PS: I was good friends with the late Captain Bike - did you know him?

Paul Pless
10-06-2010, 03:44 PM
If that fork on your Norton continues to cause you so much heartache, I'd be happy to take the troublesome beast off your hands. :)

Ed Harrow
10-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Paramount fork, not Norton fork. Different problem entirely ;)

Paul Pless
10-06-2010, 04:09 PM
just trying to help. . .

Ed Harrow
10-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Well, in that case, when ya coming out? We need all tha help we can get!

Paul Pless
10-06-2010, 04:20 PM
LOL. . .

I fear we're in the same boat.

Ed Harrow
10-06-2010, 04:21 PM
that would be a figurative boat as we're most certainly not in the same boat!

Captain Blight
10-06-2010, 04:59 PM
What's all this aboot, nao?

Oh. Yeah.

Sleeves on the bars? Like in the center section, right next to the stem? If they're scuffed up, there's not much can be done to rescue the pantographing. Light shopwear can of course be buffed out but anything substantially deep, that won't be an option for. I've got to assume you're not talking about bar tape, that's a sacrificial item. Velox makes a good-quality, period correct bar tape that retails for around $3.00 a roll, and takes shellac nicely.

I'm not sure what can be done to re-chrome aluminum-- but who WOULD know, is Campagnolo. My buddy just got back a pair of 1959 vintage hubs that he had the factory totally rebuild-- new steel races in the hubs, flanges peened to remove spoke marks and re-drilled, etc., etc. HE said it was surprisingly affordable (but he's doing pretty well for himself, I have no idea what he considers "affordable."). He also said that they couldn't have been more accomodating. Contact Campy NA for more info.

In re rechroming: I've been given to understand that the main cost of the redo is in the labor of getting the old stuff off. You may want to consider stripping off all the old chrome yourself, say on a wire wheel, before you turn it over to the replaters.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the RRAs. I can certainly tell you that a pre-War RRA is worth some serious coin; beyond that, I know absolutely nothing about the model. If it were a Super Course we were talking about, I could help you with that. But we aren't so I can't.

Pics would be surpassingly helpful. I'm happy to do what I can for ya, ya beg lug, but I've never been good at diagnosing over the phone. Sorry.

Ed Harrow
10-06-2010, 05:10 PM
OK, I'll get you some photos of at least some of the rolling stock here abouts, as well as a closeup of the 'sleeves' (some sort of thin rubbery tube sort of thing that slid onto the bars - not tape) and the 'shock-stop' grips.

Thanks!

Oh - edatharrowdotorg if'n you want to email.