PDA

View Full Version : Cork Floor-[looking for a good (cheap) online source

bluedog225
10-03-2010, 10:18 PM
I'm in the market for 500 square feet (maybe 1000) of floating cork flooring. Been looking at ads on the net for a couple of hours. Best I can do is about $2.70/sq foot from Canada.

http://www.corkflooringonly.com/aspxFiles/FloatingCork/Natural.aspx

I've got a few samples ordered.

Anybody know of a good and cheap online flooring store?

Thanks

Tom

paladin
10-03-2010, 11:16 PM
I'm sorta iggynerent about cork flooring....ain't it soft....too much?

Gerarddm
10-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Depends on the flooring. My father once told me that his WWII training barracks had cork floors- they waxed 'em with bowling alley wax, held up OK. I put cork laminated planking into my kitchen 12 years ago ( factory finished ) and did nothing to it other than damp mop. Other than some lightening under UV exposure, held up very well. Bought it from Mac's Wholesale Flooring in Seattle.

bluedog225
10-04-2010, 06:35 AM
I'm sorta iggynerent about cork flooring....ain't it soft....too much?

It is soft, but surprisingly, the room I have in cork has held up well to 3 dogs rough housing for years (30-70 lbs). Really tough stuff. I like linoleum too (the real stuff)-hard to find now, I think Armstrong bought the rights.

huisjen
10-04-2010, 08:17 AM
Look for Forbo Marmoleum if you want the real stuff.

And I've heard of 100 year old cork floors in semi-public buildings. They can be very durable.

Dan

Mrleft8
10-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Cork is used in many high traffic situations. Museums often have cork floors. Great sound dampening, easy on the feet. low maintainence. One caveat. It needs to be walked on. The cork floor I put in our living room looks great except for the places where no one goes. There the corners are curling up. I actually wanted the rolls of cork that are 3' wide by 24' long. Unfortunately (and I guess this was an early warning that we all ignored) My father ordered it through his office (huge discount), and just ordered what he always ordered for academic buildings. 12"X12" tiles.
A fiend put in the "Pergo"type laminated tiles with a plywood backer. The tiles lock together with a tongue and groove. It seems to be holding up faily well despite being only about 3/32"thick cork.

Keith Wilson
10-04-2010, 08:19 PM
How do you refinish a cork floor?

Paul Pless
10-04-2010, 08:27 PM
How do you refinish a cork floor?if its a real cork floor and not a thin veneer, it can be sanded and re-oiled

bluedog225
10-04-2010, 09:14 PM
How were the old cork floors done? Glue down? Do you know how thick? Most I am seeing these days is a veneer on snap lock panels.

The Bigfella
10-04-2010, 09:49 PM
I worked for Armstrong for 10 years. We didn't do cork flooring at the time I was there... leastways not in the two countries where I worked for them, but I saw plenty of it. IIRC it was around 1/4" maybe a tad more. Tiles were glued, sanded and a polyurethane finish applied. People had to be out of the house for a couple of days because of the fumes. The worst thing for cork and indeed all resilient floors was stiletto heels, particularly those where the heel was attached with a nail. The heel would wear more rapidly than the nail.... which would punch holes in the floor.

Mrleft8
10-05-2010, 07:58 AM
My cork flooring is a hair under 1/4" thick. It came prefinished with wax. The time I had it refinished, it was simply screened, and a new coat of wax applied. I was warned to never use polyuerethane on it. Can't remember why.

Paul Pless
10-05-2010, 08:20 AM
Can't remember why.Will polyeurethane adhere to a waxed surface?

Jim Mahan
10-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Cork would make a great shop floor covering, at least for in front of the bench. I have a concrete garage floor and use the interlocking rubber anti-fatige mats. I'll bet cork, even an eighth inch, if glued would last forever. Cork gasket material by the foot in 48" rolls $8. Two bucks a foot for eighth-inch, 120' roll or in sheets. Quarter inch twice that, comes in 90' rolls.
For a floating floor application, what about adhering eighth or three-sixteenth composite cork to doorskin or quarter inch ply, overlapping seams?

bluedog225
10-05-2010, 01:17 PM
There seems to be lots of cheap 1/2 inch cord underlayment in various sizes. Not the woodgrain/attractive stuff you would want all over your house but ought to do fine as a workshop floor.