PDA

View Full Version : Druids amnongst us

Dave Gray
10-03-2010, 11:18 AM
The UK Charity Commission will classify Druidry as an official religion with tax exempt status.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11457795

David G
10-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Well... it's about bloody time!

huisjen
10-03-2010, 11:46 AM
There's a difference between new make-believe stories and old make-believe stories Larry?

Dan

Bill R
10-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Yup

And those differences would be...?

Paul G.
10-03-2010, 01:47 PM
the good news is that there is unlikely to be a Druid theocracy, that bad news is that you will be paying for them- part of your tax dollar will be propping up the religious freaks.

paladin
10-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Think I'll sign up as Senior War Chief Stand Watie Junior of the Confederate War Council.

huisjen
10-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Men of action can't dress like that. You'd trip on your skirts. We need new costume people.

Dan

Ian McColgin
10-03-2010, 02:11 PM
We can knock about tax-exempt/tax-deductable status for religious organizations in general, but if that remains the law, then it's hard to see what is less suitable about Druids than other newly found or newly revived religions like the LDS. Except that the Druids seem more reasonable.

seanz
10-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Just another step on their relentless road to revenge. Romans beware!

huisjen
10-03-2010, 02:26 PM
We will party with the druids
Running naked through the woods
Drink intoxicating fluids
That's good enough for me.

Gimme that ol' time religion, Gimme that.....

Dan

TerryLL
10-03-2010, 02:48 PM
I gotta believe a group of people who rejoice at the changing of the seasons and dance naked under the stars pretty much got it figured out.

Bill R
10-03-2010, 02:53 PM
I gotta believe a group of people who rejoice at the changing of the seasons and dance naked under the stars pretty much got it figured out.

yup.

paladin
10-03-2010, 03:04 PM
It's a lot more sensible than dressing up in your funeral clothes, go into a big house where you give 10% of your earnings to the priest so that periodically you all stand up when prompted and shout "Yowza".....

seanz
10-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Bring back the old Gods.......this new "One God fits all" thing isn't working out.

We should start a movement.....get some sponsorship.....I'm sure the wine industry would Bacchus.

TerryLL
10-03-2010, 03:27 PM
.....I'm sure the wine industry would Bacchus.

Lord, please help this lost soul.

bobbys
10-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Druids?.

How do they stack up against Manchester United?

AlanL
10-03-2010, 04:27 PM
We should start a movement.....get some sponsorship.....I'm sure the wine industry would Bacchus.

Hahaha very good :D

ahp
10-03-2010, 04:45 PM
It annoys me no end to see these pseudo Druids posing in front of Stone Henge. The real Druids and Celts had nothing to do with Stone Henge. It was built and rebuilt between 4000 BC and 2000 BC, a thousand years or more before the Celts arrived in Britain by the people that proceeded them.

Modern pseudo Druidism was invented in the 19 th century by some romantics that should have spent more time in the library.

AlanL
10-03-2010, 04:51 PM
It annoys me no end to see these pseudo Druids posing in front of Stone Henge. The real Druids and Celts had nothing to do with Stone Henge. It was built and rebuilt between 4000 BC and 2000 BC, a thousand years or more before the Celts arrived in Britain by the people that proceeded them.

Modern pseudo Druidism was invented in the 19 th century by some romantics that should have spent more time in the library.

Sheesh, there's always an expert.

seanz
10-03-2010, 04:56 PM

And you know this, how?

Druids were (generally accepted, never underestimate the resilience of an indigenous culture) wiped out by the Roman Empire, how do you know they had nothing to do with Stonehenge?

For the record I don't like the modern druids much either.....I prefer Pratchetts version as it seems much more authentic.
:)

MiddleAgesMan
10-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Well... it's about bloody time!

We MUST be twins! I'm late to this thread but I was thinking to reply with those exact words.

seanz
10-03-2010, 05:30 PM
What's the story on this usage? It seems to be gaining cliche status on the forum, and really sounds (reads) lame. I've never heard it used in any actual conversation, or in a prepared speech. Is it like, y'know, um, teenage texting language? Hey, you kids! Get off my lawn!

You're cruel, you know that? There's so much 'material' there I could be taking potshots at you for the next few hours....but I've got things to do.

Txt U Ltr.
:):):):):):)

TerryLL
10-03-2010, 06:09 PM
What's the story on this usage? It seems to be gaining cliche status on the forum, and really sounds (reads) lame. I've never heard it used in any actual conversation, or in a prepared speech. Is it like, y'know, um, teenage texting language?

Oh crap. There goes another perfectly good thread. Lost in yet another endless exposition on proper English usage.
And I know this, how?
Because I've seen it a thousand times before.
Y'know, I mean, dude, it way sucks.

ahp
10-03-2010, 07:40 PM
How do I know?. Find a copy of "The Druids" by Peter Berresford Ellis. It also contains some good references. Archeological evidence is quite solid. The Celts and their Druids just were not there when Stone Henge and the other standing stone artifacts were built. They came later. The people that were there were of the same culture as the Beaker People.The Celts had a much more advanced technology and drove them, probably into the less desirable areas, or just exterminated them. The Romans did not have a policy of exterminating Celts. It was too expensive. Corruption was cheaper and more permanent. The Romans were good at that.

A digression, what happened to the Druids? Many of them became Roman Catholic Bishops.

oznabrag
10-03-2010, 08:28 PM
How do I know?. Find a copy of "The Druids" by Peter Berresford Ellis. It also contains some good references. Archeological evidence is quite solid. The Celts and their Druids just were not there when Stone Henge and the other standing stone artifacts were built. They came later. The people that were there were of the same culture as the Beaker People.The Celts had a much more advanced technology and drove them, probably into the less desirable areas, or just exterminated them. The Romans did not have a policy of exterminating Celts. It was too expensive. Corruption was cheaper and more permanent. The Romans were good at that.

A digression, what happened to the Druids? Many of them became Roman Catholic Bishops.

I think that, more accurately, it may be said that co-option was cheaper and more permanent.

oznabrag
10-03-2010, 08:33 PM
No, pinhead, you've never seen me go further than an initial correction. No "endless exposition."

Just a little abusive tonight, Donn? Off yer meds again?

Are you (redacted) with your (redacted) again? Did you finally manage to get it (redacted), or is it still (redacted)?

There are certain products that should help, you know, and I find it increasingly difficult to excuse the (redacted) on your part, as it's clear you won't (redacted) admit your problem and get help.

What an (redacted).

TerryLL
10-03-2010, 08:33 PM
No, pinhead, you've never seen me go further than an initial correction. No "endless exposition."

Your record here speaks for itself. I stand by thousands.
And such name-calling. I am shocked, shocked I tell you.

seanz
10-03-2010, 09:03 PM

I think you'll find that the Roman Empire had a policy of exterminating uncooperative Celts......and Druids. Does Peter Berresford Ellis mention Anglesey in his book?

And you're absolutely certain that the Druids never used Stonehenge?

Because places of worship are never re-used by invading cultures....are they (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagia_Sophia)? Not even a little bit of a historical multi-purpose community hall (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Aqsa_Mosque)?

AlanL
10-03-2010, 09:37 PM
I think you'll find that the Roman Empire had a policy of exterminating uncooperative Celts......and Druids.

He's right, he's right, he's right.

I know because I read it in Asterix!!

bobbys
10-03-2010, 09:48 PM
What's the story on this usage? It seems to be gaining cliche status on the forum, and really sounds (reads) lame. I've never heard it used in any actual conversation, or in a prepared speech. Is it like, y'know, um, teenage texting language?.

You tellem Donn Dese Bums moidalize the English language, Lots of times i dunno wanna say nutting so as to not embarrasses anyone.

Hughman
10-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Those high Druids, worshiping their oak trees... - and net even Quercus alba, they had to make do with Quercus robur...-; way to formal; Besides, mistletoe is effeminate, and virgins are too high maintenance.

I'm signing up for reform druidism, and just plant some shrubbery here and there, and invite some deadheads over for a BBQ....

seanz
10-03-2010, 09:50 PM
I'm still waiting for Donn to correct my atrowshus spelling of L8R as Ltr......how embarassment.

seanz
10-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Those high Druids, worshiping their oak trees... - and net even Quercus alba, they had to make do with Quercus robur...-; way to formal; I'm signing up for reform druidism, and just plant some shrubbery here and there.

A shrubbery?

David G
10-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Those high Druids, worshiping their oak trees... - and net even Quercus alba, they had to make do with Quercus robur...-; way to formal; Besides, mistletoe is effeminate, and virgins are too high maintenance.

I'm signing up for reform druidism, and just plant some shrubbery here and there, and invite some deadheads over for a BBQ....

My darling minister wife accuses me of being a Druid at heart. I think, though, that I'll convert to your 'branch'.

PeterSibley
10-03-2010, 10:08 PM

You tellem Donn Dese Bums moidalize the English language, Lots of times i dunno wanna say nutting so as to not embarrasses anyone.

How do you do that !!:d

David G
10-03-2010, 10:30 PM
He's from New Joizey... they all talk like dat.

B_B
10-03-2010, 11:13 PM
It's the unending repetitivity of it that makes it "endless". It's the hypocrisy of it that makes it somewhat endearing.

seanz
10-04-2010, 03:43 AM
What's the story on this usage? It seems to be gaining cliché status on the forum, and really sounds (reads) lamé. I've never heard it used in any actual conversation, or in a prepared speech. Is it like, y'know, um, teenage texting language?

I think I picked it up from watching too much TV.

downthecreek
10-04-2010, 04:32 AM
the good news is that there is unlikely to be a Druid theocracy, that bad news is that you will be paying for them- part of your tax dollar will be propping up the religious freaks.

Now let us have a little accuracy here, please! They won't be dollars, they will be pounds sterling. And we won't be paying for them - just letting them off a modicum of tax. :D

The website of the Charity Commission is a cornucopia of wonders with which I am fairly familiar. I must have a little root around to see if I can find anything on the criteria for being a religion..... Although, of course, you don't have to be a religion to get charitable status.

skuthorp
10-04-2010, 06:10 AM

There'a bloke in a melbourne suburb who has his own 'stonehenge' replica built of old railway sleepers and he sacrifices meat on his BBQ every chance he gets. Beer instead of mead but mistletoe is not too popular aas it make limbs fall off gum trees. Very hazardous.

coelacanth2
10-04-2010, 06:20 AM
And bring us a shrubbery! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTQfGd3G6dg
I wonder iffn' you brought them George 2nd, would they be satisfied?

skuthorp
10-04-2010, 06:21 AM
Hola! He speaketh in tounges forsooth!!

ahp
10-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Yes I know about Governor General Seutonius and the Roman amphibious assault on Angelsey and the killing of the Druids. It was a power center outside of Roman control. While he was off assaulting Angelsey his Procurator (tax collector) so stirred up the Icini that the Icini and their allies under the leadership of Queen Boadicea, the Romans were nearly driven out of Britain.

If Seutonius had been paying attention to his tax collector rather than being off in Angelsey it never would have happened. Seutonius was was recalled to Rome because his policy was to kill any Celt that stuck his head up. That was expensive, and he was replaced by a Governor with a more conciliatory policy, which was ultimately successful. Roman provinces were supposed to be profit centers. Legions and rebellions were costly.

I am sure that the Druids did use Stone Henge, but it was there when they arrived and they may never understood why it was built in the first place. I am sure they made up explanations.

Mrleft8
10-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Druids RULE! Romans Drool! :D

downthecreek
10-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Deliberations

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/library/about_us/druiddec.pdf

The annexes are quite interesting.

I note that there was an application for charitable status from the Scientologists, but this was rejected.

Mrleft8
10-04-2010, 10:28 AM
When we lived in England, we would often take a picnic lunch to Stone Henge. This was in the old days when they actually encouraged you to feel the stones, and experience the setting. We would sit on the fallen stones and eat our lunch, and discuss the hows, whys, and wheres.... Then The White Horse of Uffington, or one of the churches with bronzes.... Which you could still tae rubbings from for 25p...